passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Rocket League

Sly Reflex

The new maps are fun. The donut one is my least favourite tho. I'll be about this weekend if folk want a game.

I'm thinking of maybe trying to get to the top division in 1v1's and maybe 2v2's this season. I think I could do it.

Simple reason?... I like achievements, so I want to earn the achievements, I played the majority of the PS4 version with randoms online and it was fine so I'm going to buy the game on the Xbox One.

Is that OK?

I'll play with you sweetheart.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I got gifted this on Steam last weekend, and I'm really loving it.

I had a game tonight that turned from having the potential to be one of the worst to one of the best I've played in so far.

I started with two team-mates who soon became apparent were pretty shit (the usual hitting the ball towards the wrong goal, smacking into each other all the time, etc.), and we went 2-0 down within about 90 seconds. They quit, and 2 more idiots came in (the kind who put xxx_ at either side of their gamertag). Within about 30 seconds we were 3-0 down and they both quit immediately.

No-one else joined the game, so I was left with AI for the rest of the match. I decided to stay with the game and just go for it, and scored 5 goals in 2 minutes, winning the match 5-3. Going from frustration to feeling like a superman in a couple of minutes was fantastic.

I've been playing a bit in the ranked/competitive (or whatever they call them) playlists, and for the most part it's made for excellent matches. My last one was an epic, tense affair full of end-to-end stuff, awesome goals, and countless goal line clearances.

The one downside is if someone quits, it doesn't sub in another player or AI. It's only happened to me once, when one bellend quit after we conceded the first goal and left us outnumbered 2 against 3. Me and the other guy conceded again, but then rallied to get the score back to 2-2 by the end of the match, and won in overtime. Then one of the guys on the losing team called us noobs. Classic.

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, Nag said:

So because of the new free Aquadome update, along with new achievements/trophies I've been playing the Rumble game type which so far, I've avoided thinking it would be gimmicky rubbish... It's fucking excellent, I was actually lolling while playing earlier this evening.

This game, sheer brilliance.

Rumble is stupid fun, and completely random. It's a coin toss whether you win or lose. 

I had to turn it off in the playlists the other day though, it was the only game mode I got matches in. 

I do wish there was an option to avoid some of the more stupidly shaped maps, sometimes. 

• 1 year later...

Yeah, I picked it up on Switch.

It's functionally identical to what I remember on the PS4 and yes games come thick and fast.  Only problem is everyone else seems better at it than I remember, or I'm much worse.  Probably a bit of both.

Dunno if you can invite across platforms, though.

It’s been a while since I last played the PS4 version but i’m guessing the Switch one is on a par,  features wise.

I like some of the changes they made to the menus. I don’t remember there being an option before, but now you can get a good look at the extra real money cars before you buy them. Alongside the ones I remember buying, there’s Hot Wheels and Fast and Furious cars. Nothing to tempt me as yet.

The Mario/Luigi car looks pretty cool but i’ve only messed about with the training so far. I’d be willing to bet most Switch players will be flooding the place with that car. I bet that’s a weird sight for Xbox and PC players.

Most surprising is an addition of a party invite. You know, like you expect in modern games but always seem absent from Nintendo games that need them. No voice chat, obviously, but baby steps.

I've been having a few sessions on this.

I think I'm getting to the skill level I was at when I played it on PS4 but I can tell its still way off what I see.  The air control some people have is crazy.  And its embarrassing when I sometimes enthusiastically fly in and miss the ball completely.  But I hope they incorporate video capture soon because I do want to show off my Cool Goals.

I hate how salty the community seems to be, though (I really think it may be the saltiest I've seen).  People rage quit over the slightest thing and I don't know why because a loss results in only a little less XP than a win.  I wish there was like a separate ranked mode that encourages people to commit to a match.

Drop in, drop out sounds all well and good but when people are coming and going and having AI take over it can sometimes make a match feel pointless (or more pointless).

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I'm in.  I have a week full of day shifts (yay, I've barely seen daylight for weeks!) so any evening really.

And I think the Psy-net thing is a placeholder for anyone not on the same platform as you, so I think those could be XO users, too.

• 11 months later...

Just booted this up earlier to find its had a Xbox One X patch finally!! One of my favourite ever games finally in 4k and with HDR. It looks glorious.

Its actually one of the more impressive 4k implementations I’ve seen. This is probably biggest difference I’ve noticed with a game yet. Most likely due to simply how much time I’ve put into it so the difference seems particularly noticeable and impressive. It actually helps to see what’s going on at the opposite side of the field too so genuinely helps gameplay. 

• 1 year later...

I play this a lot. I am still shit at it.

Also worth noting that you can invite across platform now. And also it's going free to play soon so the servers will be full of noobs and smurfs. There's no excuse not to join in the fun now.

SlyReflex#2996 is my ID. Hit me up.

On 17/08/2020 at 23:33, Sly Reflex said:

And also it's going free to play soon so the servers will be full of noobs and smurfs. There's no excuse not to join in the fun now.

Haha that sounds fun. I remember when this came to Switch and was absolutely destroying everyone since I’d played hours already on PS4. Fun times.

So if we played do I just have to invite via that ID and it’ll work even if youre on PC or whatever? 

On the main menu there's a icon on the lower right, for me it's right trigger but for you it might be something different. Press it and see what you Rocket ID is, it'll be some random gibberish bullshit like FrightfulChair#1234 or OrigamiSnowflake#1234. You can either give me that and go as that username, or you can change it to MFNICK#1234. Once you add friends they show up in the RT pop out. You can party up from there. Also once you party up you can see the persons leaderboard positions.

I must reinforce this fact, I am still shit. Like very shit. We're talking scrub tier silver level. Maybe worse.