passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Persona 4: Dancing All Night

spatular

Seems like this is totally awesome to the max. it plays a bit like samba de amigo without the maracas (which sounds like it might be bad but it's not) - notes come out from the centre to 6 points, 3 left (hit by up, left, down) and 3 right (triangle, O, X), there's standard stuff like 2 at a time, and holding notes.

but to keep it interesting - a big circle means flick one of the analogue sticks, this is like the clap in donkey konga and the kick pedal in rock band drums - as in it messes with your head at first - i'm still at this stage - but also this is optional, i guess it gives you more score, but missing them doesn't count towards pass/failing the song (i think i read that somewhere), which is nice.

i've worked through all the songs on normal, and they're good fun, occasionally difficult with the added stick flick (which i was sort of getting used to on normal) - but moving onto hard i'm having to ignore it to try and just pass the songs - which seems pretty tricky, you can't miss that much stuff. i've had to replay songs quite a bit on hard to pass a few - still early days. but i don't mind replaying them as the gameplay is really good fun, and the music is great (if you like persona 4 music anyway).

and the presentation is out of this world, not that that really matters but it's really slick and looks ace.

now the bad - i should have waited for an english version as there's a story mode like the fighting game, but i haven't a clue what's going on (beyond dancing to defeat monsters), hold triangle to skip text at super speed anyway. and i sacked that off for the free play mode. there's about 25 songs i've unlocked so far.

so yeah if you like rhythm action games and persona music it's a big thumbs up imo.

oh, nice one, i'll take a pic of the options screen, that'd be really useful, thanks!...well i will when my camera battery charges.

doing a bit better on hard mode now i'm completely ignoring the scratching bits. and it seems like you have to finish the story mode to unlock 2 songs and the hardest difficulty so i've been holding triangle through a bit more of that.

i found a translation for the options but there's a custom options screen thing that lets you turn power ups on/off.

the slider at the bottom is game speed, and the percentages are how much turning the powerups on affects your score, i think i read that somewhere anyway, any idea what the others mean? no worries if not, it doesn't seem important, just interesting :)

post-790-0-41679700-1436991357_thumb.jpg

post-790-0-97413000-1436991371_thumb.jpg

That's interesting, cool. I will try to figure it out tomorrow.

Looking it at now, the second power up seems to say "Fever Drink" if that's any help. That's what I would guess.

The bottom power-up (in the first picture) definitely says "shield" at the end, but I would have to look into the kanji that come before it.

The top power up, which you have highlighted, says something like "the Earth-Returning Ball". The first kanji means earth or ground. The second kanji is the verb to return (an object). And the last kanji means a ball, a drop, a coin or a round object etc. So from those three elements maybe you can figure out the meaning. I think it might be a made up word.

The setting on the right has 7 kanji. The first two kanji together mean "life", the third I don't know, the fourth and fifth kanji together refer to something rotating or revolving, and the last two kanji together mean a guidebook or manual.

The red guage you mentioned says "Note Speed". It's a music game right? It means the speed the music comes across the screen I assume.

The comment probably says something in relation to the power-up you have highlighted, I can't read it other than the first word is "guage".

And yep, to the right it says "Score: -10%, P$: -10%".

I have a feeling the button in blue on the bottom right means "default" settings, but I haven't figured it out.

This game continues to be ace, finished (held triangle through) story mode, finished all songs on all night mode (hardest difficulty, but ignoring scratching), got platinum trophy, still going back to get better scores and try for more king crazy's (hitting everything on great or perfect).

• 3 months later...

This is out over here now, so everyone should buy it and stuff because it's awesome, especially if you like rhythm action games and even more especially if you like persona 4 and its soundtrack.

i got the UK version so i can play through the story properly and get the dlc (currently 2 free songs and 2 more for 80p each).

• 2 weeks later...

played through the story mode, it's pretty good for what it is, probably should be shorter. the rhythm action gameplay is still the star of the show.

got some of the dlc too, there's some free songs, and some for 80p each, and one for £4, was a bit sceptical about getting that but it's ace, some of the dlc songs are much harder than ones from the main game too, and still really good fun to play.

• 3 months later...

have you played persona 4? if so and you liked the music then this is a good choice imo, if not then there might be some spoilers in the story mode, although that can be mostly skipped by holding triangle.

superbeat xonic is £20 on psn at the moment too, that's good also. i preferred persona but it's another option.

• 2 years later...
On 23/07/2015 at 01:36, spatular said:

This game continues to be ace, finished (held triangle through) story mode

? There’s so much fucking talking, holding triangle is the only way forward.

I agree with your sentiment from your original post @spatular, this is certainly awesome to the max. I’m on Chapter 3 and it’s getting harder but I’m getting better so it’s staying super fun. Trying to get my brain to do the scratches and for some reason I’m having difficulty with the Circle button if it comes out of the blue, I always hit X like a monkeytard.

^ the new ones aren’t as good as this imo but I still really enjoyed them. Also no real story mode, although that could be classed as an advantage.

Not sure if I’ve already mentioned this but changing the options so scratching is on the L/R buttons is a good move.

• 2 years later...

I started playing persona 3 dancing in moonlight this week assuming it was the first one of these when in fact it is the second. Anyway, it's brilliant. I've not actually played that much of the Persona mainline games so wasn't really familiar with the characters, but I'm enjoying the music and the social interactions you unlock when you meet certain requirements.

On 26/10/2018 at 20:27, spatular said:

Not sure if I’ve already mentioned this but changing the options so scratching is on the L/R buttons is a good move.

This is a good idea, I'll do that later.

I'm working through the songs on easy mode at the moment trying to get brilliant or king on each one. I'll then start working through normal and hard. Easy is getting pretty tough though.

nice one Jimbo! this thread bump has reminded me i need to get the soundtracks on the new pc, so i did and have been listening to them a bit today :D

looks like i barely said anything about 3 and 5 when they came out, yeh i guess there isn't much to say as the main stuff is so similar to 4 - gameplay is the same and they have brilliant music from their respective games. i never got the vita versions either, i might look into doing that - quick look and i think they didn't come out over here physically on vita?

• 3 weeks later...

I got hold of the vita versions of 3 and 5, played through 3 and really enjoyed playing it again, great game imo. In some ways it works better on the small screen as you sort of have to watch the whole screen at the same time, i had sit further away from the tv than normal when playing on ps4.

I need to go back to this. I managed to get the (IIRC) A rating on all the songs on easy, so thought I'd go back to normal and it was giving me a kicking by song 3, some of the coordination required is mind boggling. I think how the story plays out is pretty clever, forces you to try new and different stuff in the game in order to see it all.

i still haven't properly seen the story in 3 and 5! need to do that at some point, the physical vita versions i got are japanese so that isn't happening at the moment anyway.

the rating system is odd in these, it's 'stage clear', 'brilliant', and 'king crazy' and it's pretty easy to fail to clear a song right at the end even if you've done well for the rest of it and even if you actually get to the end it doesn't count as stage clear unless the meter is green or better. it works the other way too i guess as you can pass right at the end even if the rest went quite badly.