passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Why do you like Video Games?

illdog

Somat to do innit

I'm only half joking. There's some that I like because they do something interesting with the medium. The other half it's a matter of, would I rather spend the night watching eastenders and the big bang theory, or having fun killing monsters in the Witcher

Well I had a bit of a revaltion as to why I like video games which is why I brought it up.

Its the action I'm addicted to. I realised it when I was watching the latest Terminator film which to be fair is pretty much non stop in the action department. It just dawned on me that this rush is what I get out of a video game. Being in a situation where you often have to overcome odds stacked against you, constant improvisation and the thrill of ultimately winning.

It might seem simple to some but I've never really had such a clear reason as to why I'm so addicted to gaming and have been all my life. It all makes sense to me now.

So,

Some people meditate, and the reason that most people have for doing this, is to "clear their mind of daily stress", Which I can understand, life can be tough, right? The way they do this, is my training themselves to put thier mind into a very clear empty space. Again, I can understand that, but I've found recently that I'm kinda doing the same thing only but with video games.

I find that it's a way of me focusing myself, but on something that doesn't have any real-world negative impact. I think in particular, it's why I played so much minecraft. I found that I regularly got a great sense of achievement playing that. I know you could break it down and point out that a spend a hug amount of time, painstakingly re-arranging building blocks and how that could be viewed as a bit of a waste of time, but I think the positives that I took away outweighed the negatives.

I think you can extend similar logic across all games you end up playing though. Some people like to get themselves lost in a good book. I like to get myself lost in an interactive story.

There's a social aspect to it as well. For example, I was playing GTA online over the weekend, and the hiests are phenomenal. Having to work as a closely communicating group of 4 was great. You really got a sense of teamwork. I could write an entire post just based on some of the dumb stunts we managed to pull off.

video games man...

help keep me sane.

Loads of reasons. The moment to moment gameplay could be compelling. The story and world could be immersive. The game could be very artistic. The game can be very challenging and give a sense of achievement.

I do wonder sometimes.

But it's just everything, really. I think when a game really comes together it can be some of the most satisfying entertainment out there you can have with yourself in a room.

I agree with what illdog says. I don't tend to watch too many full on action films anymore because games have got really good at offering that experience in an interactive space so being passive in that genre doesn't hold much appeal unless its done in a way that's really special and cool.

I'd like to be more excited about story telling in games. The potential is certainly there, and I'm probably on the wrong platforms to really get into that stuff, but for now when it comes to cool stories I think I'd rather get that stuff from TV and books at the moment. I was pretty disappointed when the Wii U version of Gone Home was cancelled (they were totally making that) but their next game is coming to PS4 so there is hope yet for story stuff coming to the plebs on consoles. As daft as David Cage's games are I am keen to see more stuff like that as the more I think about them the more I realise just how bold they are (I suppose Life is Strange is here now, but I like I'd like to get that after its done). I'd like to see that stuff really doing well, more.

I think I'm just saying I like to be part of the difficult growing up games are going through, now.

I also think I'm attached to gaming because I feel like I've been here from the start. I haven't, but I've been here from pretty early on and I have a confidence in what I think and know about them. I wish I had this about other things, whether another kind of entertainment or something else. As much as I enjoy other mediums, in some ways more so than gaming, I just don't have the confidence in my knowledge to really talk to people about that stuff. Others have been around so much longer and there is so much more to take in that you can feel pretty lost.

I don't really have that with gaming. Even if I come across someone with different tastes to me in gaming I can usually still know where they are coming from.

I think that's why I wish more people were into games as much as they may be other mediums. I think I'd connect with more people that way.

That didn't go where I expected.

Gaming is a distraction from the real world, I can't drive fast so I play nfs, I can't play football well I can just not well, so I play Fifa. I can't shot the neighbours so I play Gears/COD etc...

Sometimes life is just busy and I don't need to game but then I have weeks months and its all I can fit into my day. I love gaming, (as much as collecting Amiibo) I go through phases lots of gaming or nothing, currently on a nothing month even though I have a ton of games to play.

It's interactive entertainment at it's best. Whether it's enjoying a SP game like Alien isolation or Last of Us or multiplayer mayhem. I can enjoy my own company or have a crack with others online or in the same room. Either way, it's all good.

Escapism, games take me out of the tedium of my shitty life :lol:

ha, yeah i think that's part of it for me too. and a lot of what others have already said, like part of the reason i like racing games is i wanted to be a racing driver, some games have nice stories, some are competitive, social, and just amazing fun - like i'm not sure i can explain why i like stuff like rock band and 2d shooters.

Weirdly, since I've pretty much stopped playing anything, I can't really remember why I did. It used to be escapism, achievement and entertainment, but I think it became just something 'to do'. It seems TV shows and films have now replaced it.

I think the reason I stopped is because my wife doesn't particularly enjoy them. She doesn't have any objection to me playing them, but it's nice to do something of an evening we both enjoy instead of doing two separate things.

Weirdly, since I've pretty much stopped playing anything, I can't really remember why I did. It used to be escapism, achievement and entertainment, but I think it became just something 'to do'. It seems TV shows and films have now replaced it.

I think the reason I stopped is because my wife doesn't particularly enjoy them. She doesn't have any objection to me playing them, but it's nice to do something of an evening we both enjoy instead of doing two separate things.

This is like the reverse of my parents. When I go back now they sit in different rooms watching different things, shouting between them and getting angry they can't hear each other

to be fair to my dad, my mum doesn't half watch some shit