passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Planetside 2

RoboticMonk3y

Over the past week or so, I've been playing some planetside 2 on the PS4.

It's a free to play shooter, and I have to say, it's been fun playing.

When you start out, you limited to playing in a single starter area to give you a chance to learn the ropes. Having said that, the tutorial aspect of the game is somewhat limited, so you're best off going to watch a basic tutorial primer

http://www.lifestreamgaming.com/planetside-2-ps4-basic-beginner-guide/

like that one.

The game is certainly scratching at my battlefield itch, and while there is a paid subscription you can opt into, I've not really felt any pressure from the game to do this. For the paid membership, you get a xp boost and you get credits to spend on either you equipment upgrades (you can upgrade everything with the free in game currency too), or buy decals and armour colour schemes (you cannot buy these with the free currency).

I've been told that the game is a lot more like MAG, although I've never played that, so I can't comment.

Either way, for free, it's a really solid shooter and good fun once you've made yourself familiar with the game and controls.

check it out

Weapons get better when you upgrade them (you can also buy new weapons if you don't like the one you have)

Getting around can be a pain! The game doesn't explain to you how to get a vehicle, or how to use the map to "drop-in" on combat, and if you're spawning at your home base every time, you have a 3-minute walk to the nearest fight.

As for being spawn-killed, much like in battlefield, if you're being spawn-killed try spawning somewhere else. if you poke the middle button on the controller, you bring up a map, if you use the bumpers, you can swap between spawn locations, then hit triangle and you can drop-in pretty much anywhere you want to on the map.

I can't really defend the graphics, they do look a bit last gen, and if you have proximity voice coms turned on (which are on by default) then the frame rate can be a bit choppy, but meh... free...

Fare do. I didn't give it much time. Probably never will. But free so there it is.

I guess that's the flip-side of a free game, is that you can guilt free delete and move on.

I feel a weird guilt to at least try out the ps+games, given that I'm paying for them.

no problem if you've not spent anything