Sign in to follow this  
radiofloyd

Shenmue 3

500 NPCs. 450 of which will have one line of dialogue the entire game.

I’m all for NPCs. The lack of them utterly killed Fallout 76 for me. But 500 seems far too excessive. Are they all going to have a meaningful impact to the story? Of course not. Just because there’s a lot of something,doesn’t make it good.

It’s like when games brag about having this massive open world,but end up having fuck all to do in most of it. I’d rather have a game like Yakuza,a small map,but plenty going on in it.

And fishing? Jesus. What a fascinating mini-game that will be. I’ll do it only when the plot demands it. Other than that,bollocks to it.

Nice trailer though. That musical theme at the end is gorgeous. I’ll definitely try to play through the first two in time for this.

I'm one click away from cancelling my order for this, playing through the first two (the second I still can't find the willpower to go back to and actually finish) has killed any enthusiasm I had for it.

I just get the impression it's gonna be stuck in some weird timeloop and play exactly the same as those early games.

Just cancel and wait for reviews. I haven’t seen anything particularly impressive yet. The latest trailer is like something that should have been released a year ago not 5 months before release. 

😉.... It's done anyway, had to pay off The Division 2 so cancelled this whilst I was at it.

If it receives gangbuster reviews (it won't) I'll buy it later down the line.

It's a weird one. Similarly I've not gone back to the old ones after thinking I would, which I feel a bit bad about because they were a gift, and I've no kind of expectation for the new one. 

But that's fine. I'm just glad it's happening, even if they'd just made it on the old Dreamcast engine I'd have been fine with it just to have it finished 

Assuming that we get an ending from this. Also I hope it's good for Yu Suzuki's reputation. He's only 2nd to Miyamoto in terms of legacy, but I couldn't name a game he's done in 10 years 

I honestly don't think you'll get a definite conclusion out of this... You'll get an ending but I think it'll be open ended.

I can't remember who I was talking to but apparently this isn't the end, which is really stupid. They've had to jump through some right old hoops to get this made and to me it's only right they wrap the whole thing up, because if it flops and they leave on a cliff hanger, the fans will never get closure.

That's who this game is for as well. The fans. I can't see many people jumping in at this point, especially how it looks, they're preaching to the choir on this one 

I'll be clear, I don't want this to be bad. I want it to the best it can be for the people that are invested, but if it is a bad game and they do manage to fuck about and not nip thee story off in a satisfying way there'll be so much backlash for this game. People have waited over a decade and had to invest in a kickstarter as well as have backing from a major company. That in itself is a bit skeevy, but if they do a huge cliffhanger and leave people out in the cold once the game wraps up I am certain they'll be hell to pay. Nothing short of Ryo getting his revenge on Lan Di will suffice.

He's sticking to his guns and refusing to compromise on his vision, which I respect and get. This series was originally supposed to be ten games long or some shit until they crammed 4 or 5 chapters into Shenmue II when they saw they were running out of runway. So probably this has to me made with Shenmue 4 in mind without the whole thing just forcing an empty kind of closure on people. Which in some ways can be worse than no closure at all.

he's not aiming for that now, originally the story was X amount of chapters, they ended up cutting some and merging a few in to Shenmue 2. There was supposed to be a bit on the boat between Japan and Hong Kong, it's why Shenmue 2 starts with you talking to a kid and his mum but you never saw what happened. Then Shenmue 2 is something like chapters 3-6

I’m buying purely to support the Developers, I’ll probably buy 5 copies, it’s the least I can do. I’ve already got my Kickstarter copy too.

I don’t really care how good the game actually is. Part of the issue is perceptions, it’s a little Indie game but part of a series that was so ridiculously AAA back in the day.

So they expect something like the level of lavishness from the RE2 remake for $7 million? Not happening.

You do know I’m kidding when I say that right @Sly Reflex, I’m not insane. This will get 5s, 6s and 7s across the board and be as far from a GOTY a contender as you can get.

I still don’t really give a fuck. SHENMUE FUCKING 3 COMES OUT THIS YEAR!!!! HOW FUCKING COOL IS THAT!!!!!!!

I'm not expecting Resident Evil 2 levels of anything, I am expecting a fun game which, sorry to say, 1 and 2 aren't in this day and age... 

Hey, I'm happy for people to be excited and if the reviews come out good I'll buy it at a later date but this thing doesn't fill me with optimism.

I hope fans get what they want. Little indie game tho, Shenmue's whole thing was this little handcrafted world full of unique details. I think. It's not a small thing to make a world feel lived in and I wonder if this new game will capture that feeling with an indie budget

I kickstarted it,so I’m in. Hopefully it will turn out alright. But Yakuza kind of took where it was going,and improved on it. I don’t expect this to be anywhere near as good as Yakuza. Still,long as it’s not total bollocks,it’s fine.

Imagine if the Yakuza team did it, with their proper tongue in cheek sense of humour.

Ryo is too pure to be corrupted by the Yakuza studio 😂 @Hendo

3 hours ago, wiivo 2.0 said:

You'll buy 5 copies even if its crap just to support them? :wacko:

Yep. I’ve never done this before in my life but I am so incredibly passionate about this game and desperately want it to be a success that I’m willing to pretty much give as much as I can to try to help ensure that. 

Sometimes you've gotta buy with your heart rather than head. I understand games cost money and I almost always buy with my head myself but for this I’ll be buying straight from the heart.