Sign in to follow this  
radiofloyd

Shenmue 3

It's definitely going for the nostalgic look, I think he said as much, but if he's charging full whack for the game he'd be wiser to drop it £29.99> 

Apparently the visuals in that footage are 12-18 months old according to one of the games producers/directors.

Also, yes, the faces and animations are pretty bad, but you've got to remember this is a $6 million Indie game, not a AAA Naughty Dog/Guerrilla/Crystal Dynamics game or something and cut it some slack because of that. 

Faces aside, the environments and graphics look SO much better and more beautiful than I thought they'd be, if you compare the visuals to the Kickstarter announcement trailer it's chalk and cheese.

I'm pretty sure they used a block of cheese as a pen to write the game name in that trailer...

shen.jpg

1 hour ago, Duck said:

I'm pretty sure they used a block of cheese as a pen to write the game name in that trailer...

shen.jpg

They've redone the logo about 2 or 3 times now, first it was this (which is worse in my view):

download.jpg

Then they changed it to the more traditional font (which is the one I prefer):

Shenmue-3-logo.jpg

I love the cursive but the issue with it in terms of marketing is that it's difficult to distinguish the original letters and know what it spells, so the latest logo is a compromise between the KS original and the traditional if that makes sense.

Font conversations on MFG, love it :wub:

Yu Suzuki interview: Shenmue III models temporary, facial animation removed 1 month ago

Courtesy of neogaf user master15, via Shenmue Dojo, via Game Watch Japan

NOTE: There's lots of other interesting info here too, particularly the bit about the fighting engine, have mixed feelings about that

Game Watch Japan has published a very interesting interview with Suzuki-san, the interview took place during Gamescom and includes some really insightful and interesting information about Shenmue III, here's some of it:

-The released Shenmue III teaser footage is real-time in-game graphics.
-All character models are temporary and subject to change.
-Facial animations were initially implemented but have been removed about a month ago.
-The teaser was especially made for Gamescom 2017, no further plans to show more of the game at this year's Gamescom or Tokyo Game Show. However, a full-scale promotion will take place next year.
-Deep Silver will publish the game internationally, and they'll provide budget and promotional support. A publisher for Japan is to be decided.
-Suzuki-san would like to continue the series in Shenmue IV if possible.
-Suzuki-san is not interested in forcing the Shenmue story to complete in Shenmue III.
-Shenmue III will take around 30 hours of gameplay to complete.
-The fighting engine in Shenmue III is being built from scratch, and unlike Shenmue II it won't use the Virtua engine.
-A system that allows phone calls with characters from Shenmue and Shenmue II is planned for Shenmue III.
-Suzuki-san would like to bring as many voice actors from the previous games as possible, but some are retired now, he will audition a new voice actress for Shenhua.
-OST from Shenmue and Shenmue II will probably be reused in Shenmue III.
-The new partnership with Deep Silver is strong and it's aimed to improve the Shenmue III experience beyond what was initially planned on the Kickstarter.

August 23 update: new translated interviews (thanks for Brigandier)

Translated Famitsu Yu Suzuki interview

GameSpark Interview

Additional Famitsu interview details:

- fishing, and you can sell the fish you catch
- wood-chopping
- forklifts confirmed!!
- other animals - frogs, ducks, tortoises
- "a race" of some kind
- skill tree
- considering a new version of QTEs

On 23/08/2017 at 0:22 AM, Blakey said:

I love the cursive but the issue with it in terms of marketing is that it's difficult to distinguish the original letters and know what it spells, so the latest logo is a compromise between the KS original and the traditional if that makes sense.

Who for...3 year olds? :lol:

53 minutes ago, Duck said:

Who for...3 year olds? :lol:

:lol: I agree, I prefer the traditional logo but they literally said that about being difficult to distinguish the letters in a Kickstarter update email about the logo months ago.:blush:

I doubt many people were really expecting it for this year. We've waited this long, especially Sly, I'm sure we'd all rather wait and it be good than get it rushed out for this year 

If you’ve not got the backer survey email from Fangamer yet you can access it here by entering your email address.

Has anyone done Kickstarter before where you do one of these surveys? Is this a sign the game is close to being done or could we still be ages out? 

Basically, there's a good chance I won't be living in my current place by the end of the year, I don't know if I need to worry about the address yet 

3 hours ago, DANGERMAN said:

Has anyone done Kickstarter before where you do one of these surveys? Is this a sign the game is close to being done or could we still be ages out? 

Basically, there's a good chance I won't be living in my current place by the end of the year, I don't know if I need to worry about the address yet 

I’ve done one twice before (for Yooka-Laylee and We Happy Few). It is a sign that the game is not a long way off, no guarantee how far along it is exactly but I’d say it’s a sign it’ll hopefully be out early-mid 2019. I think I got my YL and WHF surveys 5-6 months or so before release.

They did ask me for my address in the questionnaire but if you’re getting a digital copy (on PSN or Steam) you might not have to fill it out. The deadline is September 30th anyway so you’ve got a bit of time to fill it out.

Hello Backers,

We have just announced the release date for Shenmue III at gamescom 2018 and...

August 27th, 2019 is the day you will be able to take up as Ryo Hazuki to continue the adventure!