passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Shenmue 3

radiofloyd

11 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

@wiivo 2.0

@Maryokutai

On the survey where you select your platform it specifically says Steam. People have locked in a Steam release (or PS4 depending on what they picked) 

Right to be angry confirmed (although I still don’t get it really) there should at least be a benefit to epic exclusivity. If it saves them money, include a couple more goals reached maybe. I don’t see who benefits here.

That being said, the venom in the comments section on ks is pretty funny and ott.

9 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

The survey still has steam as an option

Apparently it’s coming to steam after epic. 

@wiivo 2.0

Yeah, the people calling out Yu Suzuki I don't really get, I'd be surprised if anyone on the dev team had a say in this, I'd have thought it's Deep Silver 

As for reasons, everyone's got their own. I've seen people say Epic sell your data on, I've no idea if that's true, others have problems with the features. Mine are more simplistic (or not), I don't play games on Epic, it suits me to have everything in one place. Largely though I don't like being bullied in to using a store front. I've no issue with Epic existing and I think Steam needs competition, but it should be my choice if I use it or not, the buying up of exclusives, particularly Kickstarters is shitty 

I think calling it bullying or like they’re making decisions for you is crazy. It’s just a shop. Some shops make deals to be able to sell stuff. This is just general business,  it I think PC users are having a rude awakening to what business actually looks like instead of living under Valve.

Unless people were happy living under Valve then no one is stopping you doing that 

Like ultimately it's not a big deal that a game gets Epic exclusivity I think. It's more that people have bought into something with the expectation of X and are now being told they must accept Y and can have no refund.

All the talk about feature sets and Linux emulation and friend lists and consolidating your libraries will matter to some and not to others like it always has. But if people feel they've been misled I don't see the problem with asking for a refund.

KS is sort of a grey area as you're not really buying a product but I think this is a case where the rules just haven't caught up yet. But for me the removal of a Windows emulator for Linux just seems like such a massive thing to say "oh, you aren't getting that now. Just change your operating system to Windows if it's a problem". I think that's really terrible

47 minutes ago, Maf said:

I think calling it bullying or like they’re making decisions for you is crazy. It’s just a shop. Some shops make deals to be able to sell stuff. This is just general business,  it I think PC users are having a rude awakening to what business actually looks like instead of living under Valve.

Unless people were happy living under Valve then no one is stopping you doing that 

it's not just a shop. I think this is what console gamers don't understand, you're locked in to the eshop/psn/etc you have 1 choice. On pc we can usually buy things from all over the place, they still all work on our pcs (usually steam), but you can buy from Humble, GoG, CDKeys, GMG, Steam, Uplay, etc.  There's no real comparison on consoles so it's hard to explain, but I don't think it should be ignored that so many pc people have a problem with it, nor that so many people who backed the kickstarter do

I kind of get it but kind of also don't. I mean ultimately the game will still be playable on PC, you just have to launch it via another client. As soon as the Deep Silver logo flashes across the screen it doesn't really matter anymore, does it? I mean it's a videogame, you start it, you play it. It's not Excel or something that needs to be compatible across different versions and operating systems because you're going to exchange files with other users.

It runs on the same machine, you can use the same controller. As someone who's primarily using the Xbox I wish I could just click on Epic on my console and play it there, but I will have to boot up the noisy PS4 und control Ryo with a DualShock.

like I said, everyone's reasons are different, which probably doesn't help explain it. I will say that if I was already on Epic's launcher (because I played Fortnite or whatever) then I'd care a lot less, but from experience it'll never occur to me to boot the game because it's not where all my games are. Same happened with Assassin's Creed Origins and the Mass Effect games, out of sight out of mind and all that.

I wonder how much of the backlash, if any, has to do with Steam achievements. And to the extent people might be bothered by having “holes” in their game library (I.e. no record on Steam of you owning and having played Shenmue 3). If Epic and Steam had some kind of library sync function (like the kind GOG are proposing with Galaxy) I think this would become a non-issue.

30 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

it's not just a shop. I think this is what console gamers don't understand, you're locked in to the eshop/psn/etc you have 1 choice. On pc we can usually buy things from all over the place, they still all work on our pcs (usually steam), but you can buy from Humble, GoG, CDKeys, GMG, Steam, Uplay, etc.  There's no real comparison on consoles so it's hard to explain, but I don't think it should be ignored that so many pc people have a problem with it, nor that so many people who backed the kickstarter do

I think for me I just see Steam, Epic and the PC as a PlayStation, Xbox and TV respectively. Just because there has only really been one platform for a long time and that is how it has worked people are confusing it with that is how it has to be. Which isn’t true, Steam does not own your PC or PC gaming even though it feels like it, so just because now not everything is compatible with Steam sounds more just like change than a real problem. Like oh if I want to play Halo I have to turn on the Xbox instead. 

If the problem is a feature set like console features don’t always have parity then I get that, why a PC user would then prefer to use one over the other. That’s separate from taking choice away from people. 

But in just regards to, effectively, there are now 2 shops instead of one. I don’t get it. I don’t see the reason why just because a game is on your PC then it has to work with Steam like it’s legally mandated. If anything I think the freedom of choice still exists, the difference is PC users now have to make one.

It doesn't have to work with Steam. Overwatch doesn't. Neither does World of Warcraft. Or almost all EA games.

It's largely the bait and switch here which is why people are madder than usual.

What it sort of feels like is Epic buying a captive audience. An audience made a choice and are being told no after its too late. It's kind of slimey.

@Maf like I said, I think you not being a pc gamer is why you're struggling with it. People want their games in one place, always have, but they've accepted other store fronts.

Of the people who aren't keen on the Epic store on this forum none of us have said it shouldn't exist. Again, you're confusing shops with platforms, multiple shops is one of the best things about the pc. In terms of launchers (or platforms) we've had multiple for years and years, and people have accepted them. They don't want too many, we've got GoG's, Uplay, Origin, Steam, Epic, Bethesda, probably others too, Rockstar have one. They all have the right to them and I suspect all of us have games on those other launchers, I know I have

@DANGERMAN is right here. PC Shenmue III got backed on the premise that steam keys would be given, then that's what should be given. Sure, put Shenmue III on the EPIC store for those that will buy after the release as an exclusive, but the backers should get what they backed, which is Shenmue III on steam.

This is duplicitous. You can't lock in specifics and then change them right before the end after money has already changed hands. If people want a refund, unless it was stated in the T&C that they cannot get a refund then they're entitled to one, because this isn't what they put money up front for.

Hello Everyone,

We want to make sure that the Backers are aware that we are listening to their concerns. We kindly ask all our fans to have some patience, we are currently at E3 demoing the game and need to get back to our respective offices to assess the situation and together find a way forward to justify the trust you placed in us.

Thank you for your patience and support.