passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Shenmue 3

radiofloyd

41 minutes ago, Blakey said:

it feels like a forgotten story of time rather than a big blockbuster AAA game and is very small in terms of story and locales, focusing on Ryo's journey and not much else.

You do know this game cost so much it was part of the reason SEGA went tits up? The budget for it at the time was astronomical. This is a AAA game, it's just out of its decade.

1 hour ago, Sly Reflex said:

You do know this game cost so much it was part of the reason SEGA went tits up? The budget for it at the time was astronomical. This is a AAA game, it's just out of its decade.

Yep, know all that :) maybe I wasn't clear in my last post - folks take things too literally some times. Of course it was a AAA game in its day but compared to most AAA games of this kind of budget today and even last gen it has still got a relatively small focus to its story, characters and their motivations.

It's not Ryo trying to save the world or fight some anime demon mech it's just him trying to find out why Lan Di killed his father and gathering information around his local town in the first game and Hong Kong in the second.

It feels so organic as well, I know a lot of folks don't like the forklift stuff, the book carrying stuff or any of the 'chores' but it helps it feel less gamey and more real. Like Ryo is a real character who goes to this place and has to blend in, live, work and survive and slowly gather peoples' trust and information. You can't just follow a marker in Shenmue and get an objective, you have to work in a Temple for a week and get proficient enough at balancing books that some guy will give you information. 

By the way if any of the mods want to move any/all of the SI&II related posts into the dedicated thread here that'd be swell :)

Was there a cat you fed milk to aswell?

I'm definitely going to play the 3rd if not just to wrap up the story. I loved the originals.  Like all sequels that take so long to come tho, you can't help but feel like it's missed the boat, so to speak. 

• 4 months later...
23 minutes ago, Nag said:

Shenmue 2 does....

Indeed it does. Shenmue 1 is so much tighter. I’m not sure I finished 2 now thinking back. But I’ve been watching Computer Game Show’s stream so I guess I’ll find out. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Information from the panel:

- The amount of unique NPCs in the game has been expanded significantly. In the original plan, the second main area of the game (Chobu) was set to only have 50 NPCs. Now, including the starting area Bailu, there are over 500 NPCs in the game.

- We previously learned jobs/mini-games like chopping wood and fishing would be available, but there will be an extra dimension to the fishing game. Outside of being able to purchase rods and bait, Ryo will also have the chance to take part in fishing competitions.

- For players less experienced with fighting games, there is the AT (automatic transmission) mode that will allow you to set and string combos of five moves together that can be activated with the triggers/buttons. Players familiar with fighting games can switch to MT (manual transmission) mode for freedom in how they attack.

- The fighting poses of enemies will give you a clue towards what kind of martial arts they use. This plays into information from the EDGE preview that stated Ryo will need a solid repertoire of moves in order to put up a strong fight against more exotic forms.

D1NfauqWwAAQSRQ.jpg

500 NPCs. 450 of which will have one line of dialogue the entire game.

I’m all for NPCs. The lack of them utterly killed Fallout 76 for me. But 500 seems far too excessive. Are they all going to have a meaningful impact to the story? Of course not. Just because there’s a lot of something,doesn’t make it good.

It’s like when games brag about having this massive open world,but end up having fuck all to do in most of it. I’d rather have a game like Yakuza,a small map,but plenty going on in it.

And fishing? Jesus. What a fascinating mini-game that will be. I’ll do it only when the plot demands it. Other than that,bollocks to it.

It's a weird one. Similarly I've not gone back to the old ones after thinking I would, which I feel a bit bad about because they were a gift, and I've no kind of expectation for the new one. 

But that's fine. I'm just glad it's happening, even if they'd just made it on the old Dreamcast engine I'd have been fine with it just to have it finished 

Assuming that we get an ending from this. Also I hope it's good for Yu Suzuki's reputation. He's only 2nd to Miyamoto in terms of legacy, but I couldn't name a game he's done in 10 years