passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Shenmue 3

radiofloyd

EVERY RECORD WILL FALL.

Already pledged to it :D :D :D :D couldn't get on Kickstarter for 20 minutes as the site was being overloaded, cannot believe this was announced, almost cried when I saw that logo come up and that music come on the screen, couldn't believe I'll actually get a conclusion to a game I fell in love with 12 years ago, absolutely ridiculous.

This Kickstarter will turn over so much money. I don't even want the fucking game but I'm glad it's getting made so the fans can get some closure. It wouldn't surprise me if Sony bankroll some of it, I'm guessing they'll add to the tab after it hits its goal which will probably be in about 2 or 3 hours going at the rate that people are throwing money at the cause.

backed. $30 for a copy of the game is cheap, they could easily have asked for more. Wonder if it's just not going to be very long

It's easily going to hit its goal, it's at 1.4 million in less than 12 hours. Also, no mention of xbox, so Sony may well be part funding this

Very surprised by this, I didn't think it'd ever happen. As I write this it's about 3k from hitting it's goal already.

Whenever people mention Shenmue I think it must be virtually unplayable now by modern standards. It really did feel incredible on the Dreamcast at the time though.

I don't understand whose making it. Ys Net? I just can't imagine it being this open world everyone wants and instead being more like a telltale game.

Yu Suzuki left Sega years ago to set up his own company. I don't think they've made much.

Edit: it reached the funding goal while I was typing. It's just overtaken Yooka-Laylee, which is in its last 12 hours.

$2 million is significantly less money than the £2 million Yooka-Laylee has raised, but obviously Shenmue will far surpass that.

The $5.5 million set by Bloodstained is a respectable target but you expect it will end up being shattered.

Very surprised by this, I didn't think it'd ever happen. As I write this it's about 3k from hitting it's goal already.

Whenever people mention Shenmue I think it must be virtually unplayable now by modern standards. It really did feel incredible on the Dreamcast at the time though.

It's well worth getting a Dreamcast for cheap on eBay or through an Indie store and playing through the original, it still stands up today in my opinion. I played both 1 and 2 back in the day, but never completed them (got stuck as a kid) about 5 or so years ago one boring Summer I suddenly got the urge to dig out my old Dreamcast, buy an old copy on ebay (I'd sold my original) and play through it to completion, it is an absolute masterpiece, it is just so incredibly innovative and influential on SO many games released today, so many aspects of games we take for granted today can be traced back to Shenmue. Bought Shenmue 2 on Xbox after this and played through it to completion on my 360 via backwards compatibility.
Shenmue 2 is much easier to play though as you can get it for the original Xbox and then play it via Backwards Compatibility on your 360, you can also get a Shenmue 'movie' that they bundled in with Shenmue 2 on Xbox which is basically all the cutscenes/main-story segments on a disc for you to watch, not the same as playing through the original but may be easier for some who don't want to jump through the hoops involved with playing the original, emulation is always an option as well of course.

$2 million is significantly less money than the £2 million Yooka-Laylee has raised, but obviously Shenmue will far surpass that.

Yeah, I misread the symbols for some reason. Luckily I'm not in charge of large amounts of currency.

backed. $30 for a copy of the game is cheap, they could easily have asked for more. Wonder if it's just not going to be very long

It's easily going to hit its goal, it's at 1.4 million in less than 12 hours. Also, no mention of xbox, so Sony may well be part funding this

yeah i hope sony are putting some cash in too or going by the budget of the old ones it's just going to be one big fight with lan di then game over.

still awesome news, i've backed it :D

Official: Sony's helping make Shenmue 3:

http://kotaku.com/sony-is-helping-make-shenmue-iii-1711819045?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

There’s something curious about Shenmue III on Kickstarter: it’s only asking for $2 million. It took $47 million to build the original game. What’s the deal? As it turns out, Sony’s partnering with its development.

When the Shenmue III bombshell was dropped during Sony’s press conference last night, it wasn’t clear if Sony was simply giving Shenmue creator Yu Suzuki a huge platform to announce the crowdfunding project, or if there was something...more.

Sony director of third party relations Gio Corsi was on the PlayStation live show today, where he joined Suzuki to discuss one of this week’s biggest surprises.

“We hit our goal in under 24 hours,” said Corsi.

“We”?

Apparently, Sony met with Suzuki at the Game Developers Conference in 2014, the same year he presented an extensive postmortem on Shenmue’s development, which reignited fan interest.

Every so often, Suzuki has floated Shenmue 3 around in interviews, and even raised the idea of crowdfunding its development. The problem for Suzuki, of course, was raising enough money.

Probably Sega will let me make it,” said Suzuki to Gamasutra in 2011, “I think. It’s simply a problem of budget.”

Corsi said Sony’s been mulling Shenmue ever since its “build the list” initiative was started in 2013, in which the company solicited fan requests and tried to turn some of them into a reality.

Shenmue 3 was the number one ask on the whole building the list campaign,” said Corsi. “When that first started, right off the bat: Shenmue 3, Shenmue 3, Shenmue 3. This has been asked as long as I’ve been at PlayStation.”

When Jason spoke with Sony’s Adam Boyes about the list, Shenmue came up immediately.

“We get a ton of requests for
Yakuza
, a ton of requests for
Shenmue
. We see the lists. Like everything that people have tweeted Gio, literally we have a person that compiles those lists and prioritizes based on how many requests we’ve gotten. And I think to date there’s well over 10,000 mentions across like forum threads and stuff like that. So those are the ones we’re focused on.”

It sounds like both Sony and Suzuki found themselves in a tough spot. Fans demanded moreShenmue, but how to prove that beyond a tweet? Social media is nice, but it’s not money.

“We said ‘the only way this is gonna happen is if the fans speak up,’” said Corsi. “We thought Kickstarter was the perfect place to do this. We set a goal of two million dollars, and if the fans come in and back it, then absolutely we’re going to make it this a reality.”

That part isn’t really laid out in the Shenmue III page on Kickstarter, however. There’s no mention that Sony’s involved, nor the promise of additional money from outside investors.

Here’s what it says on the Shenmue III page:

“The real challenge now is to deliver a sequel that we will all be satisfied with after 14 years of waiting. After much research and planning, we set the funding goal at this level believing it will make possible a fulfilling Shenmue experience.

With regards to development of the game, we have an experienced team, deeply connected with the Shenmue franchise. With modern tools, experienced professionals, and the community of Shenmue by our sides, we have set ourselves up for success.

We will do our absolute best to deliver Shenmue 3 and the rewards by their respective deadlines. However, there is always the possibility that problems may arise which could affect reward delivery. There may end up being changes in game or reward designs. We may press right when we are supposed to press left and get hilariously head butted and kneed in the groin.”

Bloodstained, for example, is securing 90% of its funding from outside Kickstarter, with the Kickstarter project being used as a means to confirm there’s loads of fan interest in the game.

With Shenmue III, the rest of the money seesms to be coming from Sony. How much? No idea.

“Sony and PlayStation is definitely a partner in this game,” said Corsi, “and it’s going to be run through third-party production. We’re going to help Ys Net get the game done, we’re going to be partners on it the whole way, and really excited to see this thing come out in a couple of years.”

As of right now, Shenmue III has raised $2.7 million (and counting), and it’s scheduled to be released in December 2017 on PlayStation 4 and PC. Other platforms could happen eventually.

There's been a lot of confusion as to Sony's involvement in the Kickstarter campaign, initially we all thought they were footing part/50% of the bill for the game (on top of the money produced by the Kickstarter campaign) but it now seems that Sony is only providing limited funds to get the game on PS4/PS and marketing the game:

http://crashlanded.co.uk/Shenmue-clearing-up-the-confusion.php

With the Shenmue III Kickstarter now about to creep up to the $3.5 million mark and being inspired by fellowShenmue fanatic Adam Koraliks’ recent video - I wanted to help clear up all the confusion surrounding the Shenmue III Kickstarter.

SO, WHAT IS SHENMUE III - AND WHY SHOULD I CARE?

Shenmue III is a long awaited game, that fans truly only dreamt would actually come to fruition. The series began its life on the SEGA Dreamcast in 2000, created by auteur Yu Suzuki. Originally planned to contain 11 chapters in an intertwined story - and ideally 4-5 games to cover that saga - with your save game decisions carrying over to the next. At the time, the original Shenmue cost $47 million to develop, albeit included in that was a near complete version developed originally for the SEGA Saturn console - with elements of that game then being split up between Shenmue 1 & 2 and then ported onto the Dreamcast.

The series went on to be beloved by fans around the world, with Shenmue fathering not only modern open-world game design that we all see today, but day & night cycles, real-time weather cycles and quick-time events also. Unfortunately SEGA left the console space, so we never got to see the rest of the Shenmue story with the second game ending on a cliffhanger.

Fast forward 14 years and now we finally get our chance.

shenmue-original.jpg
WHY ARE THEY USING KICKSTARTER?

For many years Yu Suzuki has approached various publishers to re-visit his dream of completing the Shenmuesaga. Unfortunately due to not only how much of a risk the game is, compared to the cost of development - but some Publishers demanded creative compromises to the game, to make it more marketable to their audience. Yu Suzuki has turned down those offers, refusing to compromise his vision of the game.

So now partnering with Sony to launch their Kickstarter at PlayStation E3 conference - the future of the series is now in our hands - and it’s already off to a fantastic start. The Kickstarter not only broke the website upon launch, but it even broke two Guinness World Record’s - being the fastest Kickstarter to break the $1 million and $2 million dollar mark, and in turn funding it’s initial goal.

shenmue-kickstarter.jpg
WHAT IS SONY’S INVOLVEMENT?

With Sony kicking-off the Kickstarter at their E3 conference, and the title currently being set for PC and PlayStation 4 release only - many wrongly believed that Sony is footing the bill of development costs (or should be if it’s not). This is not the case, with Andrew Boyes being forthright in stating that such a move would carry too much risk and would require a lot of negotiating with investors that would push the project many more years further into development.

What Sony are doing though is paying for all the marketing costs for the game. This obviously matters more when the game is actually made and will likely amount to more cost than the Kickstarter will raise for the games development. It’s also unconfirmed if Sony are providing manpower and hardware for the development of the title - with Director of Third Party Productions Gio Corsi, stating at E3 “it's going to be run through third party production and we're going to help YS Net get the game done”.

shenmue-conference.jpg
SO WHAT WILL SHENMUE III BE LIKE?

The scope and scale of Shenmue III relies entirely on how much money the Kickstarter generates. The initial goal of $2 million was to fund just the basic story premise - with each stretch goal tier beyond that, increasing the games scale to ultimately match the original two titles. Though the Kickstarter does state Ys Net has secured some money from unnamed sources, prior the Kickstarter launch that it can’t disclose.

What this means, is that it’s unlikely the title will match up to the lofty heights of the original two games in terms of sheer size and diversity, but the important part is we get to finally see the Shenmue story to its conclusion - and this entirely depends on the success of the Shenmue III Kickstarter.