passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

DisturbedSwan

• 1 month later...

So I picked this up pretty cheap on Xbox a few weeks ago and finally got a chance to give it a start last night.

Combat is brutal - it's weird actually being attacked by multiple enemies instead of them all waiting one by one to fight. I need to pay attention to combat in this I think.

I've just done a mission at the very start where I kill some ghost from a well and it told me about oils. I know what the oils do, but I couldn't be bothered and killed her without. Will I need these further on? And how do they work? does each sword need to be oiled with a specific one? Or can I repeatedly oil the same sword depending on the fight?

I'm playing through the first expansion at the moment, not paying attention to the story at all, much like the main game.

I've found a weird thing that I don't remember coming up before, although it could be a weird bug I guess.

You get overburdened and the sludge back to a merchant to sell your tat. Normally this is fine, get to a fast travel marker and then get closer to a rich merchant. I just had it where not only had markers vanished from the map but when I physically got to one, it wouldn't let me interact with it.

I dropped a couple of things that took still overburdened but not as much (from 173 to 169 out of a top of 160) and the markers came back.

I can only assume that's a thing done on purpose where you're too heavy to even fast travel? I don't remember it coming up though at all.

Not swords, no. I've not dropped any crafting gear or anything but they weigh practically nothing.

I could do with dropping some runes though.

I'm after some proper high end runes but where I heard there's good ones, there's no merchant there.

Just killed a Griffin (died once though) and now I'm just exploring all the question marks in the area.

I'm definitely enjoying it at the minute, looking forward to just going off into the big wide world and ignoring the main quest for a while.

Still think combat is damn hard too, I need SLIGHTLY quicker reactions and I'll be fine. Loving the feel of it though. Just the little details are awesome, like dead bodies hanging and swaying in the wind.

So after trying and failing to find a merchant that sells high end runes, I completely forgot that that's a new thing in the expansion - a merchant who specifically makes and sells new high end runes and enchantments.

It took a fair bit of grinding previous question mark places to sell gear back and forth but I unlocked his master abilities and the gear is ridiculously expensive. Cost me 25,000 just for the privilege of unlocking them. After that some of them are a grand or two a piece.

But some of them make them sound like they protect the gear from losing any durability, which would be super useful.

I've actually made an effort to learn Gwent due to them being the only quests I have left.

After finding a tutorial video, I understand it now but I'm not very good at it. Or my deck is rubbish. Or both.

I might finish those quests and then do a NG+.

Finally managed to get back to athis and played hours yesterday. Still feel like I barely did anything like.

Dunno how many other people will have done it because there's so much content, but the bear attack scene was amazing, better than the Revenant :lol:

I think I might have to finally push on with the main story. I've been doing side stuff but I'm at the point where I'm too high level for what I have left, not quite high enough for everything else. I do want some better gear, what I've got is probably fine, refined Cat school I think, but I feel like I've had it for a while

on Skellege there's a huge quest tree about them appointing a new jarl. Once you help a few of the contenders (literally hours of game) they all get together in a hall to put forward their claims and all of a sudden BEARS!!!!

Surprise BEARS are the worst, and they make a fair old mess of people

Spent the majority of last night and today getting murderised. I played through the first story mission with Keira, where I had to defeat an ice knight near the end. He basically bent me over and dry bummed me until I started using Quen.

Today I've been repeatedly owned by random groups of level 9 ghouls (I'm level 6). For whatever reason I just don't seem to have a viable tactic against them yet.

I also spent a lot of time trying to get all the side missions opened up from job boards... Basically a lot of pottering and dying today...

You can, and it's probably less of a gulf early on if you have the right tactics, take on stuff that's higher than you, but I wouldn't, unless they're on their own. Once you get another couple of levels though there's going to be fewer things that will trouble you.

Make sure you use your shield. Mind control is great against humans, especially if there's only a couple left, if you can get behind them it can mean an instant kill

not that you asked for advice like

Both of those are great tips in theory, but in practise I've taken on some mission for Keira that's supposed to be level 6 but has level 9 ghouls trotting about, ready to ruin my day.

It's one where you have to go to an island with a magic lamp and she talks to Geralt through a phone that can only take incoming calls. I'm guessing she's cheap and didn't pay the bill... Is that where I am? On an island of debt collectors, trying to get her outgoing calls switched back on?

Anyway, I encountered a few level 4 drowners, downed them, a couple of level 6 ghouls, finished them off quick sharp, then got owned by the aforementioned group of Level 9 ghouls. I just don't think I quite have the balance between offence and defence just yet... I'm going to start bumping up Quen instead of my physical stuff as suggested I think.

And if any of that isn't vague enough and needs spoilers let me know, and give me a heads up how to do it too!

I put a load of points into my shield, it becomes a powerful bubble that gives you back health when enemies attack you. That's pretty useful.

I just started NG+.

You keep quite a bit, including gear but lose books, trophies (monster trophies, not PlayStation ones, obviously) and things like markers.

Aaaaaand done. Took my time, picked the ghouls off one by one, separating each one from the pack and taking it out.

The girl in the tower was a bit crazy, want she?

I'm realising more and more that this game is mad as a box of frogs. Between magic goats, witches turning mice into horses and whatever else it wants to throw at me, it's all just crazy. I love it!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after a couple of distractions over the last couple of weeks, mainly from one of the lads in work bragging he'd beaten times on Forza, I've come back to Geralt's story, and instantly been pulled into the world again.

This game is genuinely fantastic. It's incredibly hard (at least, for me it is, I'm still not quite clicking with the counter attacks and just trying to dive/dodge attacks), but that leads to some heart-racing combat moments. For example, I played through a quest yesterday where some guy's wife had gone missing. Turns out she'd been attacked by a werewolf, and I had to fight him. That took me a few goes until I tried a little bit of tactics - I used Quen until the wolves were gone, then spammed him with Igni as much as possible.

I love the fact that there are two options for every step of the conversation in this quest line. So I can call a character crazy, or try to get more info, eventually leading to a point where I can choose to save a character or not. Sorry for the vagueness, I'm trying to put it in a way where anyone who's played it knows the quest I mean but anyone who hasn't wont be pissed by spoilers.

I think I'm finally starting to get a handle on Gwent too. I'm not going to be a world beater anytime soon but it's an awesome addition to the game. Understanding the way opponents play, hoping I get a lucky draw and that I play my cards right, it all just combines. I don't think I like it as much as I did the card game in FFIX, but it's a nice little distraction nontheless.

The little touches really make this game for me right now though. Hanging bodies as you ride into certain towns, people reacting to me when on the horse, it's a nice extra that makes the game feel a little more alive. And I'm not even out of Velen yet! This is possibly the best game I've played this gen up to now, and I'm gutted I haven't picked it up earlier.

No, no expansions yet. I'm only level 10 though, so I'd assume they're too high a level for me yet anyway?

Haven't met Triss yet either, I'm still tidying up in Velen, finishing all the quests I'm levelled up enough for before heading to Novigrad. But I've just googled her and will be using the alternate costume!

Any tips for blocking/parrying attacks? I don't know what it is, but I just can't get my timing right for it.