Sign in to follow this  
Blakey

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

This is really slow going for me, as I really only get to put proper time into it on Sundays (and occasionally Saturdays). After taking a couple of sessions to really get going for me, I'm absolutely loving it. I'm being pretty easy going with mixing story and side missions and contracts, taking on whichever is closest or most appropriate for my level. 

I just finished the Bloody Baron questline on my last session, which was excellent. I like how going off to investigate one thing diverts you onto another set of missions before bringing you back to the main storyline. All the while keeping you engaged and not feeling too much like you're ticking off a checklist of errands.

126 hours now, Geralt is level 23. Today I completed the string of quests that leads to the crowning of a new ruler in Skellige. One of the quests involved killing an ice giant, it’s a wonderful little odyssey all in itself. And after, NPCs all over Skellige make reference to it - one of lmy favourite lines is how you “slayed a giant but now you faff about chasing skirts.” I can’t praise enough the NPC dialogue in this game, not just the NPCs who respond to Geralt but also the countless conversations you overhear as you wander about. 

I also did the Bear School gear treasure hunt quest, which took me to the north-eastern island in Skellige. This island has its own beautiful music theme. And I defeated my first red skull enemy, an Ice Elemental. And I unlocked my first special attack (the spinning fast attack): 

The story is popping off now. Currently level 25 and my Steam playtime is 134 hours but on the in-game clock it’s 10 hours less, which seems about right. 

Spoiler

I lifted the curse off Uma and that gave me the quests to rescue Ciri from the Isle of Mists and also to gather allies to fight the Wild Hunt. One of the quests, for Velen, completed immediately because I had finished Keira Metz’s storyline. It looks like I’ve most if the Skellige one done as well. 

Had another long session tonight where I blew through a bunch of sidequests. I’m down to about 5 or 6 quests in each category and the quests are all level 26-35.  

I’ll go back to the main story for now but since I have weapons that require Geralt to be level 46, I’m curious how long the main story is as my current mission (Isle of Mists) only has a level requirement of 22.

And also I’m down to searching for the last three Gwent cards (in the base game, I don’t have the expansions installed) - two in Velen, and one in Skellige.

I’m playing on PC lol.

So I did the Isle of Mists quest today where it warns you that you won’t be able to complete certain sidequests if you proceed, so I googled it and I thought I was safe, but then later, when I started the quest to fight the Wild Hunt at Kaer Morhen, the quest “Berengar’s Blade” failed because I needed to talk to Vesemir. I reloaded and tried to talk to him at Kaer Morhen but he wouldn’t engage me in conversation. After 140 hours I didnt want a failed quest on my hands lol so I looked up the quest and read that you could compete it without talking to Vesemir, which I did. Phew...

Also I found the answer to my own question about leveling up. The Isle of Mists quest alone bumped me from level 26 to 28. I’m guessing I’m going to level up quite a lot in the new few hours. Anyway, time to take on the Wild Hunt! 

I decided to stop doing sidequests and head to Skellige, which is basically Northern Ireland but Vikings? The scenery is gorgeous, and the music as you ride to the first quest marker after landing on the island is amazing.

I definitely noticed a slight increase in difficulty, the Drowners and Wolves I encountered take a little more to put down than the ones I was fighting just before I left Novigrad.