Sign in to follow this  
Blakey

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Spoiler

from reading around, the crones send you to kill a spirit that's under a tree. You can talk to it and release it, or kill it. If you release it the crones curse the wife, she dies when you lift the curse, the Baron kills himself. I killed the spirit then went back to them. I'm not sure if I fought them there and then, but I did eventually

The Baron accepted his daughter wasn't going to forgive him, or maybe she did forgive him but wouldn't come back because she didn't want to leave what she was doing, can't remember

Spoiler

It's been years since I played but I'm pretty sure the Barons wife ended up catatonic in my game, the Baron took her away to try to heal her and his daughter stayed with the Witch hunters.

This is neat. In Novigrad there is a brief quest called “Letter from an Old Friend” which relates to events in the first Witcher game.

Spoiler

In the first game, there is a young boy call Alvin who you meet several times (a boy who possesses magical powers including the ability to travel through time), and it is hinted in the game that this boy and the main villain of the game Jacques de Aldersberg, are the same person. This letter you get in The Witcher 3 confirms it.

I spent no time with Gwent at all, I'm shit at getting my head around card games unfortunately.

Back to this today. The story missions in the game have been excellent so far. Currently doing the mission Broken Dreams which has reunited me with Zoltan. I love the continuity between the first two Witcher games and this one. All of the significant characters in the game (I mean the characters who have journal entries) are great.

Novigrad is a wonderful city. Mention has to go to the dialogue you overhear in the street which like everything else in the game, is really well done.

Around 60 hours into this now. Made some progress with the main story in Novigrad and Geralt’s level jumped up a few levels so I’ve taken a break to mop up some sidequests. Geralt currently looking like a badass:

B968499A-021B-4879-B9AE-3C8413B277C3.jpeg

New high score in Gwent. Best in game card game since Triple Triad.

One of the things I like about this game is that people are where they’re supposed to be and go where they are supposed to go. Like I went to Triss’ house in Novigrad (which isn’t even marked on the map) in between missions, and she was there. Vernon Roche asked me to meet him in Oxenfurt and I was going to fast travel there but he got on his horse and started riding so I just followed him the whole way there.

I think that the music, while very good (and occasionally excellent), is the one area where TW3 doesn’t really stand out compared to its rivals. However the sound design and voice acting is another story...

DF9C1F0E-344B-4652-B45C-392608B26443.jpeg

I didn't play 1 or 2 but poured over 100 hours into 3 and still didn't feel lost, so I'm not sure the first two are entirely necessary. It really is an incredible game and one of my favourite experiences from this gen.

Witcher 2 was one of the best games of that generation, for me. I found it better than 3, which was rather bloated by an overuse of that Witcher sensing mechanic. Jeez, that shit got old.

Plus, it had one of the best opening cutscenes in history (although I think that might have been console only)

I did buy it about 18 months ago, played it for a few hours and never returned to it, so it got traded back in (I think it might have gone back up in value perhaps, such was why it got traded, I can't really remember.)

@bellow

The pc version got an enhanced upgrade once the 360 version released

While I don't like the game, the first Witcher had a great opening cinematic

9 hours ago, bellow said:

Plus, it had one of the best opening cutscenes in history (although I think that might have been console only)

This was fantastic. The attention to detail was insane as well, like the rolls of fat folding on the fighters.

Had a good session tonight. Completed some excellent quests (main story and sidequests). This game is just an absolute gift to rpg fans. And of course I won another string of Gwent matches. I haven’t lost a game of Gwent for a long time now.

My lowest level quests were in Skellige so I decided to finally sail there. Wow! I said crossing the bridge into Oxenfurt was one of the most impressive spectacles that I’d experienced in a game, but (crash) landing in Skellige for the first time is equally impressive. The music is beautiful. And I love that everyone speaks with Welsh and Irish accents. CDPR have created a landmark game here.

Back in Novigrad, I completed the Vegelburg horse racing quest which eventually involves you competing in a race for Cleaver. That race went on forever and ever - towards the end (although I had no idea) I slowed down to let my horse recover his stamina, I was overtaken, and I’m not joking, I literally won the race on the finish line. It was a photo finish. I’ll take it!