passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

DisturbedSwan

I’ve booted this back up and gone right into the most recent save which is somewhere near the start of the last expansion.

Could be the fancy new TV, but it looks so vibrant and colourful.

Still struggling to get back into the controls, I’ve forgotten all I learnt. Instead of calling the horse, I downed some potions. And then in an attempt to get off the horse, I pulled out my swords in a town and got killed by guards.

I’d be tempted to start from scratch, but not sure if you can have multiple saves. Plus, it’s a massive game to start all over again.

I'm now 60 hours in and done searching for Ciri in Skellige. I think I'm slightly faster than the first time around because I'm barely doing Contract work and haven't gone looking for a single piece of Witcher equipment yet. I'm also not sure if I ever will – I'm playing on normal and it's so easy I can't imagine how godlike Geralt would feel if I had better armour and weapons.

Skellige has been, just like last time, and absolute delight though. New assets, new music, new stuff all over the place. Fantastic change of pace and atmosphere. Other developers would have sold the island as DLC or a sequel. It also manages to still look beautiful there even on Switch:

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...

I'm further along on the Switch now than I ever was on Xbox, almost 90 hours and currently trying to get "the ladyband together". 

Spoiler

I've completed the battle at Kaer Morhen and finished off Imlerith, so now we need to rebuild the Lodge of Sorceresses.

I'm enjoying it more than the first time around. Maybe it's because the game is now finally patched and I don't have to download a bunch of data before starting. Or maybe it's because I decided to completely ignore three aspects of the game: Witcher contracts, treasure hunts and question marks on the map. The treasure hunts might be essential on higher difficulties but on Normal the game is so laughably easy that it doesn't matter what armor you're wearing. Witcher contracts are technically cool but there just are too many.

Ignoring those allowed me to focus on the things this game does particularly well which of course are the main and side quests (and Gwent). More importantly I'm also really motivated to go on and go through the DLC stories after the main campaign.

Yeah, I always tend to make the exact same choices in further playthroughs as well. You spend too much time with a game like this just to pick an option you don't feel comfortable with. Yen's never-ending sarcasm and know-it-all tone just rubs me the wrong way. Triss has backbone, too, but is still nice and appreciates the efforts of other people more.

Spoiler

She's also prettier.

I'm seriously considering a switch romp thru this adventure this very year. Depends on how involved I get with that mana game, outer worlds and Xenoblade chronicles.

I'm also hesitant because of all these rumours of a switch pro. Maybe they'd upgrade the visuals on a game like Witcher 3 for that console.

I finished the main story yesterday, for the first time. I can definitely understand why the game has such a huge following now. It might be far from the best RPG in terms of gameplay systems and freedom of play but it's one of those games that really makes you care about its characters and the world they inhabit, similar to the Mass Effect trilogy for example. It leaves you with a certain emptiness after everything is done and that's one of the highest praises I can give a game. My ending was as follows:

Spoiler

Nilfgard won the war after Radovic got murdered by Phillipa Eilhart. It didn't feel right to participate in that plot but Radovic was a madman and a danger to everyone on the continent.

Cerys became queen of Skellige and steered the islands towards an age of unity and peace.

Geralt and Triss moved to Kovir where she became an advisor to the resident king whereas Geralt retired, with a bit of monster hunting for pleasure on the side.

Before moving to Kovir, he travelled the lands with Ciri and taught her everything he knows. The game ended, after a simultaneously brilliant and devilish epilogue that made me question for longer than I wanted to whether Ciri was alive or not, in the inn of White Orchard, with a master and a pupil.

I'll need a couple of days to let all of it sink in and then I'm going to start with the DLC episodes. After that I'm going to give Thronebreaker a go.

Overall I'm really glad I went back to this. I enjoyed it a lot more than the first time around and it definitely moved to my list of favourite games from this generation.

Yeah, I've heard that B&W is supposed to be the bigger one and also chronologically the very end. It's also the one that seems more interesting so I suppose it's good to leave it for last. 

Hearts of Stone looks like something I should have done during the main game but the level requirements were surprisingly high (30+). And as soon as I hit those requirements I was knee-deep in the late-game story where it didn't make any sense to just pause it for a bit and go for the DLC adventure instead.

• 3 weeks later...

They released an interesting patch for the Switch version yesterday. First and foremost it allows you to cross-save between PC and Switch by uploading your saves to the cloud. Divinity did that too and got some very positive feedback for it so it seems there's a target audience for this PC + Switch combo.

Secondly, it also unlocks some very PC-ish graphical settings:

spacer.png

The game's AA has often been criticized as a major source of general bluriness so I made a quick comparison and it does indeed make quite a difference.

Spoiler

On:

spacer.png

Off:

ERDlMpdUwAIuAOs?format=jpg&name=large

fix up look sharp.

I'm tempted by the Switch version of this, even though I just bought the PC version, but I think I'd be more likely to play it on Switch. If it even hits the £15 sweet spot, I'll get it (not that it will ever get that low I imagine).

• 3 months later...

I've started the Blood and Wine dlc this weekend and I'm really enjoying it. By the end of the main game I was murdering everything without breaking a sweat, here things are a bit tougher, missions are at or above my level for the first time in hours and hours. 

I've stayed on the main path for the most part but as the next mission was taking me out of town I thought I'd do some side stuff. I stumbled on a mutilated statue quest that I'd picked up, I actually wanted to do the master crafted armour mission, but it's started and has been quite a funny quest, I need to head back and finish it at some point after giving the guy a bit of time. 

It turned out that I wasn't walking around in the best armour I could. I've been sticking with the Cat school, but I only had superior rather than master crafted, so I sorted that out and now have the blueprints for some special cat armour. I'll do the rest too at some point, if only to keep playing. 

After I've finished the statue quest I should really go and do the one that opens up more levels on the skill tree. I've been sat on points I saw no reason to spend so it might be useful. As it is I died a lot to the bandits I'd faced, better armour and better skills might help with that 

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Vesemir recap thing.

It's Dandelion narrating it.

Looking forward to all those traced rays. Having spent most of my time with this game on the Switch port this will probably truly feel like a next-gen leap for me.