passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

DisturbedSwan

I know you guys love my Gwent updates. I got 188 yesterday which beat my old high score of 184 and unlocked an achievement (for winning a round with a score higher than 187). So that was nice. Also, I think I have nearly collected all the cards in the game now. I have two cards left in Velen, five in Skellige and zero cards left to win from “players of no renown or title”.

1C3EC5BB-0BE1-415C-B766-A722205C6585.jpeg

This is really slow going for me, as I really only get to put proper time into it on Sundays (and occasionally Saturdays). After taking a couple of sessions to really get going for me, I'm absolutely loving it. I'm being pretty easy going with mixing story and side missions and contracts, taking on whichever is closest or most appropriate for my level. 

I just finished the Bloody Baron questline on my last session, which was excellent. I like how going off to investigate one thing diverts you onto another set of missions before bringing you back to the main storyline. All the while keeping you engaged and not feeling too much like you're ticking off a checklist of errands.

126 hours now, Geralt is level 23. Today I completed the string of quests that leads to the crowning of a new ruler in Skellige. One of the quests involved killing an ice giant, it’s a wonderful little odyssey all in itself. And after, NPCs all over Skellige make reference to it - one of lmy favourite lines is how you “slayed a giant but now you faff about chasing skirts.” I can’t praise enough the NPC dialogue in this game, not just the NPCs who respond to Geralt but also the countless conversations you overhear as you wander about. 

I also did the Bear School gear treasure hunt quest, which took me to the north-eastern island in Skellige. This island has its own beautiful music theme. And I defeated my first red skull enemy, an Ice Elemental. And I unlocked my first special attack (the spinning fast attack): 

The story is popping off now. Currently level 25 and my Steam playtime is 134 hours but on the in-game clock it’s 10 hours less, which seems about right. 

Spoiler

I lifted the curse off Uma and that gave me the quests to rescue Ciri from the Isle of Mists and also to gather allies to fight the Wild Hunt. One of the quests, for Velen, completed immediately because I had finished Keira Metz’s storyline. It looks like I’ve most if the Skellige one done as well. 

Had another long session tonight where I blew through a bunch of sidequests. I’m down to about 5 or 6 quests in each category and the quests are all level 26-35.  

I’ll go back to the main story for now but since I have weapons that require Geralt to be level 46, I’m curious how long the main story is as my current mission (Isle of Mists) only has a level requirement of 22.

And also I’m down to searching for the last three Gwent cards (in the base game, I don’t have the expansions installed) - two in Velen, and one in Skellige.

I’m playing on PC lol.

So I did the Isle of Mists quest today where it warns you that you won’t be able to complete certain sidequests if you proceed, so I googled it and I thought I was safe, but then later, when I started the quest to fight the Wild Hunt at Kaer Morhen, the quest “Berengar’s Blade” failed because I needed to talk to Vesemir. I reloaded and tried to talk to him at Kaer Morhen but he wouldn’t engage me in conversation. After 140 hours I didnt want a failed quest on my hands lol so I looked up the quest and read that you could compete it without talking to Vesemir, which I did. Phew...

Also I found the answer to my own question about leveling up. The Isle of Mists quest alone bumped me from level 26 to 28. I’m guessing I’m going to level up quite a lot in the new few hours. Anyway, time to take on the Wild Hunt! 

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to stop taking screenshots doing sidequests and head to Skellige, which is basically Northern Ireland but Vikings? The scenery is gorgeous, and the music as you ride to the first quest marker after landing on the island is amazing.

I definitely noticed a slight increase in difficulty, the Drowners and Wolves I encountered take a little more to put down than the ones I was fighting just before I left Novigrad.

• 3 weeks later...

And finished.

I was off work last week, and put some serious time into the game during the crappy weather towards the end of the week. Just brilliant: some genuinely great quest lines, a bunch of interesting flawed characters, and beautiful environments. I loved my 100+ hours in this game.

I'll be back before long to take on the expansions.

20190501215658_1.jpg

• 1 month later...

I started Blood and Wine last week and I really like the new area. The architecture in towns is really bright and colourful, and the surrounding countryside makes a nice change from swamps.

I enjoyed Hearts of Stone, but heard this is the better of the two expansions, so I'm really looking forward to getting further.

For @radiofloyd, there's an entire new Gwent faction to collect and play in a tournament.

• 4 weeks later...

I got distracted with contracts and side quests recently, but I've pretty much done everything I'm interested in now (just horse races, fistfighting and treasure hunts left, I don't care about completing those).

It's time to crack on with the Blood And Wine main storyline, I think I'm pretty close to finishing it now.

It's been fantastic, Toussaint is bloody gorgeous. I'm going to miss it when it's all over.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, radiofloyd said:

It's an odd one, in so much that if you watched the series without already being familiar with the source material then I'm not sure if you'd really understand what was going on at times (a bit like Watchmen).

I've actually restarted playing it as well. Never finished it on Xbox as I lost interest around 90 hours in. The game has some fantastic quests and writing and storylines but its RPG mechanics are shallow, limited and honestly just a bit boring. The skill tree in particular is a complete snooze fest.

So this time around I just try to focus on the good stuff and ignore the rest. I'd love to finally see the end and also visit the DLC locations which are entirely new to me (playing on Switch this time around). I'm already approaching the 30 hour mark so I seem to be doing something something right. Definitely enjoying it a lot so far, hope it stays this way this time.

The best way to describe it is probably that it looks simultaneously impressive and ugly. It's remarkable what they managed to pull off here but it's still riddled with pop-ins, low-res textures, an overall very blurry picture quality, flat lighting, compressed audio (which is barely noticeable though) and more. That said it only took me a couple of hours to get used to it and thanks to a good art style there are moments where it still manages to look really beautiful. It also uses different assets for both characters and backgrounds during dialogue scenes so those look extremely good, particularly for a Switch game.

So if you've played it on another system before like me you'll need some time to adjust but after that the visuals don't stand in the way of your enjoyment anymore. If you haven't played it before this probably just feels like a more detailed but less clean version of something like Breath of the Wild. Plus I'm playing it on TV – a lot of people say it looks better in handheld mode because the smaller screen obscures some of its shortcomings.

Nice thing to note also is that it's extremely well optimized as the Switch doesn't heat up at all while playing it and supposedly it doesn't drain the battery as hard as you might think.

One random screenshot I took at some point:

spacer.png