passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

DisturbedSwan

Had a good session tonight. Completed some excellent quests (main story and sidequests). This game is just an absolute gift to rpg fans. And of course I won another string of Gwent matches. I haven’t lost a game of Gwent for a long time now.

My lowest level quests were in Skellige so I decided to finally sail there. Wow! I said crossing the bridge into Oxenfurt was one of the most impressive spectacles that I’d experienced in a game, but (crash) landing in Skellige for the first time is equally impressive. The music is beautiful. And I love that everyone speaks with Welsh and Irish accents. CDPR have created a landmark game here.

Back in Novigrad, I completed the Vegelburg horse racing quest which eventually involves you competing in a race for Cleaver. That race went on forever and ever - towards the end (although I had no idea) I slowed down to let my horse recover his stamina, I was overtaken, and I’m not joking, I literally won the race on the finish line. It was a photo finish. I’ll take it!

Completed the High Stakes gwent tournament quest in Novigrad. It was a level 26 quest and I was wondering why there was a level requirement but in the middle of it all I got into a fist fight with a level 27 enemy (Geralt is only level 19), but luckily fist fights are super easy to cheese in this game. You have to play four people and I did lose to one woman a couple of times - so there goes my winning streak - but I managed to beat her on the third attempt and in the end I got four new leader cards for my troubles. The funny thing is, I always play Northern Realms, but I accidentally played the final match of the tournament with a Nilfgardian deck. It was my first time ever playing a Nilfgardian deck, and of all the times to happen too, but I won. The opponents in this tournament were definitely the strongest of any I have played, they have a lot of hero cards - including Geralt of Rivia, which I want!

Had a few bugs today, one of which required a restart (where Geralt started doing zero damage). The other bug was Roach refusing to appear when I called (but that fixed itself after a conversation with a quest giver) and lastly an invisible barrier inside a house that prevented me from entering a room (I’ve had that a couple of times).

Also, on the southern tip of the large island in the center of Skellige, I came across a fierce looking large spider like enemy. I didn’t go close enough to check his level or engage him in combat. Possibly the biggest enemy I’ve seen in the game so far though.

When I played I did a quest at the very start of the game where I kept getting one shot by enemies. I just thought the game was hard until I got to the boss, which happened t be a huge spider. I couldn't for the life of me kill it, I tried so hard but it just kept killing me over and over. So I looked at the quest card for it and it turned out I needed to be level 30 odd. I started paying more attention to the quests after that arse kicking.

1 hour ago, retroed said:

I bought the GOTY edition for £10.50 on XB1. It's nice to have it on a machine that you can't hear in another room, and it looks proper impressive in 4K at 60fps.

it's not 4k 60, it's 30 with occasional 4k (still impressive mind). There's a 4K mode but not at that resolution

16 minutes ago, retroed said:

@DANGERMANIt's definitely running at 60fps. I have the option of 4K mode and performance mode but it always reverts to 4K in the options? I go for framerate every time anyway, but it's definitely 60.

It's definitely not 4K 60, the Xbox One X is powerful but it's not THAT powerful

The performance mode aims for 60, doesn't always hit it, but isn't 4k. The 4k mode has dynamic resolution but looks like it stays locked at 30 (which is really impressive imo)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-witcher-3-xbox-one-x-analysis

24 minutes ago, Nag said:

Apparently there was a bug with menu toggles for visual and performance modes where it wouldn't tell you the correct one you were using..

The bug must still be there because it is always on 4K in the menus even when I switch to performance, which is what I always go for when given the choice. 

Either way, it's a damn sight better than it was when I played it last. Turned off motion blur and it's stunning how smooth it all feels. It still blows me away how quiet and cool the 1X runs.

Hey, it’s a big part of the game! And I finally got the Geralt of Rivia card, from none other than Thaler! 

Tonight I took a break from questing to clear up a bunch of question marks in Velen. Geralt is level 20 now so it’s a breeze.

Here’s Geralt looking very Snake Eater era Solid Snake in all Enhanced Griffin gear.

Gold starting to pile up now too. Have over 11,000 gold at the moment. Currently level 21 and I’ve completed all the Secondary Quests, Witcher Contracts and Treasure Hunts up to level 20 (although I’ve only visited a couple of notice boards in Skellige). Playtime 105 hours.

19C166A1-8070-4B63-993A-E4C53D3F0A0F.jpeg

I have to gush about this game again and the level of detail. There’s a quest in Skellige where a guy asks to find out about his brother and wife, you find the bodies on a beach, and after the quest was completed I went back to that beach and the guy was there and he had lit candles next to their bodies. There’s a quest in Novigrad where drunken sailors are causing a ruckus inside a whorehouse. I used Axii to convince them to leave and rather than just disappear or walk out they actually drunkenly stumble out the door and continue drunkenly walking down the street.

I absolutely love Skellige. I love the regional accents. The characters speak so profoundly and expressively - at times it’s like listening to Richard Burton reciting Under Milk Wood. Like the old men who say “you need to spend more time in the isles, strengthen your fortitude”, or words to that effect. There’s a small town (Ravainn or something) with a house built on a high rock in the sea, and there are bonfires on the rock that are lit up at night. When I walked up to the house a man said to me “a newcomer?” - just a normal NPC with no name but he had that beautiful expressive voice and those words at that moment just suited the scene and the game perfectly.

The level of thought, artistry and good writing gone into this game is unbelievable. 

Another favourite is the little children who run around Geralt saying “you’re not that scary”.