passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

DisturbedSwan

The Witcher 3 certainly has its share of bugs and amusing glitches, but I can’t say I’ve experienced anything recurring like the jaggies across the screen in Fallout 3. The two bugs that made me reload a previous save were when Geralt refused to perform any combat actions (the buttons to unsheathe weapons or cast signs wouldn’t work) and that time were Geralt swam under the ground and I travelled half way across the map. I’m playing on PC but I haven’t experienced any audio glitches.

I’ve found myself making choices on a case by case basis in the game, in quests where you are given a choice to kill the “enemy” or let them go, I haven’t always made the same decision. For a game where you are playing a named character and not your own created avatar, there’s still a lot of scope to make your own decisions.

Has there been a game with better weather effects (visual and audio) than this? Just incredible. And the game features some lovely made-up swearwords. “Knoblicker”

6 hours ago, shinymcshine said:

I remember being irked by the crones sound problem though, as I was playing without subtitles, so had to reload an earlier save, switch on subtitles and redo it. There's also a bit much later in the game were Geralt's voice changes during a conversation, don't know if they had to rerecord some of the dialogue using a different actor, but was definitely very odd.

I had this as well. I was so confused when the sound cut.

The real breaker for me is the PS4 version in the late game town would load between each sentence said. A conversation that would be over in minutes would take 2 or 3 times the length because of the buffering. 

I have a question for those of you who followed the story of the Baron and his family through to its conclusion, I want to see if you got the same outcome as me:

Spoiler

So I actually freed the evil spirit that was trapped in the tree, in return for the spirit rescuing the orphans from Crookback Bog. Because the children escaped, the Crones put a curse on Anna and when I went there to rescue her with the Baron, she died. The Baron then hung himself from a tree. Did any of you have a different outcome to this? What happened?

45 hours in now, level 12. I’ve cleared the secondary quests and Witcher contracts up to level 10, so now I’m off to see Triss at Novigrad.

I had my second run in with Endrega enemies today, in the southern part of Velen. There seems to be more of them there. So far I’ve met Endrega Workers and Warriors and they don’t bother me in the slightest. So far so good...

Spoiler

Yeah the daughter in Oxenfurt told me to fuck off too, but when I did the secondary quest “Return to Crookback Bog” with the Baron, the daughter also showed up with the Witch Hunter she was travelling with. I was expecting a battle against the Crones (i have bestiary entries for them) but I just battled an enemy called a Fiend instead. 

Spoiler

from reading around, the crones send you to kill a spirit that's under a tree. You can talk to it and release it, or kill it. If you release it the crones curse the wife, she dies when you lift the curse, the Baron kills himself. I killed the spirit then went back to them. I'm not sure if I fought them there and then, but I did eventually

The Baron accepted his daughter wasn't going to forgive him, or maybe she did forgive him but wouldn't come back because she didn't want to leave what she was doing, can't remember

This is neat. In Novigrad there is a brief quest called “Letter from an Old Friend” which relates to events in the first Witcher game.

Spoiler

In the first game, there is a young boy call Alvin who you meet several times (a boy who possesses magical powers including the ability to travel through time), and it is hinted in the game that this boy and the main villain of the game Jacques de Aldersberg, are the same person. This letter you get in The Witcher 3 confirms it.

Back to this today. The story missions in the game have been excellent so far. Currently doing the mission Broken Dreams which has reunited me with Zoltan. I love the continuity between the first two Witcher games and this one. All of the significant characters in the game (I mean the characters who have journal entries) are great.

Novigrad is a wonderful city. Mention has to go to the dialogue you overhear in the street which like everything else in the game, is really well done.

Around 60 hours into this now. Made some progress with the main story in Novigrad and Geralt’s level jumped up a few levels so I’ve taken a break to mop up some sidequests. Geralt currently looking like a badass:

B968499A-021B-4879-B9AE-3C8413B277C3.jpeg

New high score in Gwent. Best in game card game since Triple Triad.

One of the things I like about this game is that people are where they’re supposed to be and go where they are supposed to go. Like I went to Triss’ house in Novigrad (which isn’t even marked on the map) in between missions, and she was there. Vernon Roche asked me to meet him in Oxenfurt and I was going to fast travel there but he got on his horse and started riding so I just followed him the whole way there.

I think that the music, while very good (and occasionally excellent), is the one area where TW3 doesn’t really stand out compared to its rivals. However the sound design and voice acting is another story...

DF9C1F0E-344B-4652-B45C-392608B26443.jpeg

Witcher 2 was one of the best games of that generation, for me. I found it better than 3, which was rather bloated by an overuse of that Witcher sensing mechanic. Jeez, that shit got old.

Plus, it had one of the best opening cutscenes in history (although I think that might have been console only)