passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

DisturbedSwan

It's funny that a few of us have all started playing it right now. I played through the tutorial basically at the weekend, I probably won't have time for much more until Saturday.

I've wanted the game for ages, but  didn't have a PC able to handle it until mid 2018. It's also the 2nd year running I've started an enormous RPG in Janurary. Last year was Divinity Original Sin, which took me months (and over 100 hours) to finish.

I’ve been suffering from jet lag (again) so I’ve fallen asleep straight after work and woken up at 2.30am for the last two days. So I’ve spent my mornings playing The Witcher. Spent a couple more hours playing this morning, doing side quests and advancing the main quest, but before I go fight the griffin I want to explore the northern part of the White Orchard map.

The graphics in this game are just incredible. I actually enjoy riding my horse at the slowest speed just to take it all in.

After 100 hours I've finished Witcher 3. There's a couple of witcher contracts left to to, and I was saving the some regicide for when it wouldn't matter but I think I might not be able to do that quest now, which is a shame because that seemed to feed in to the ending I got, which, while not a good ending, kind of fits with the tone of the story. 

Where I was led to believe that where I'd left things was still quite far from the end. Possibly if you'd only been concentrating on the story it feels like longer, I'd done a lot of side stuff so 10 hours of story or whatever didn't feel like much at all, which is an odd way to end the game when it's taken me so long to get through 

I've still got the dlc, and I never found the quest with the vampire that tells Geralt to fuck off from the launch trailer, I'll hunt that down as I'm doing the last 2 contracts I've got 

10 hours in now and I’ve reached Vizima. It will be interesting to see how Vizima has changed since The Witcher 1 (I don’t remember exploring it in the second game...). The whole of the first game was set in and around Vizima.

I had some problems with my Wifi adapter (the internet kept dropping every couple of minutes or so and I was getting “the default gateway is not available” error messages), the troubleshooter always fixed the problem but it kept recurring, so Steam was never tracking the game. But I think I managed to fix it by uninstalling the wifi adapter and reinstalling it. Working fine now thankfully.

Anyway that first chapter in White Orchard was great.

15 hours in now. Since starting chapter two I’ve followed the main story which led to the Bloody Baron asking me to find his wife and daughter. I’ve played several games of gwent and also opened up numerous secondary quests. 

Not only is the game game graphically breathtaking but you also have to give credit to the music and voice acting. The voice acting in particular is consistently excellent.

And I know it will get old eventually but I can’t praise the horseriding enough in this game. It helps that the game world is so dense and packed with things that towns and places of interest are never a million miles away.

The opening of the Bloody Baron quest was quite notable for me, and demonstrates some of the flexibility and nuances within the game that you might not be aware of (there are no spoilers in what I'm going to say).

In my playthrough I'd earlier run into some of the Baron's guards at a crossroads, and without really knowing at the time who they were or what consequence it might have, I gave them a bit of a kicking for being generally rude to me.

However, later on when I turned up at the Baron's door, I was sent away, since news of my exploits had reached them, and they weren't best pleased, so I had no direct access into the Baron's estate, and had to find an alternative way inside.

Only through my wife playing the game, and asking what the heck I'd done to get turned away, as she'd been welcomed inside, did I realise the subtle branching nature caused by my earlier actions.

Crossing the bridge into Oxenfurt in this game has to be one of the most impressive spectacles in rpg history...

I love this game. The level of detail is insane. For example in a village in Velen I came across guards trying to recruit peasants to search for the Baron’s wife and daughter. I’ve never played a game with a world so well brought to life.

Switched my focus to the witch quest in Velen and that took me on an epic trek through a cave full of secret passageways and hidden loot. Another example of the level of detail in the world design - in the room in the cave where you fight the guy who summons all the hounds, there’s a wall you can smash with Aard. Behind the wall there was a passageway blocked by a large boulder. My Witcher senses indicated that I could interact with it but bombs or magic did nothing. Then I got the medallion that allows you to dispel illusions so I thought “what if” and went back to that hidden passage, and low and behold the medallion allowed me to continue. I found a nice silve sword with three rune slots.

The game is not completely bug free though. I had to reload when Gerald refused to draw his weapons or cast any spells in combat for some reason...

I've been playing the Heart of Stone dlc. I was a little disappointed at the start that it isn't a whole new area, but it's actually a huge amount of content. The north of Novigrad was always a bit empty, I put it down to me not really exploring up there, but it looks like they were keeping it clear for this. I don't know if it just matches your level but most things were level 35 which is where I was, so it adds some difficulty back in to the game

The missions themselves can be a little "do this thing, but to do that you need to do these 4 small things", so you might need to talk to various people or visit various locations, which is probably just game lengthening but given how much is there it gets away with it. It's not all set up up front either, you start off doing a couple of things before you even catch the thread of the main story, then you're doing stuff within that for hours. It's crazy how much stuff is in it

The most surprising thing is the characters. It's not just quest givers, a lot of them are fully rounded. There's a section where you have to put a team together, you have 2 options for each position, and each of them is distinct. You spend ages with a character before that you is distinct, and there's at least one I've met I'd like to kill if I get to meet him again. That being said, it still does the Witcher thing of not quite being as black & white as you think, although with one of the characters I was thinking if he'd just told me his motivation beforehand, rather than be a prick I'd have helped him

Anyway, if you didn't get the dlc for Witcher 3 it seems to be more than worth it

Yeah I definitely plan on playing all the DLC.

Im up to 30 hours now, but I’ve spent the last 10 hours or so dicking around and doing sidequests. Going to continue doing some of the low level secondary quests and Witcher contracts for a while then I’ll get back to the main story.

Finished the Baron/Witches quests in Velen, that was amazing. The three Crones are great villains. Currently around 40 hours in and Geralt is level 11. Time to mop up some more sidequests in Velen. I fucking love this game. I love that the game often gives you compelling choices to make.

There were parts that were great, but there was an awful lot of filler too, and a few technical glitches, which many of the reviews seemed to overlook.

I remember being irked by the crones sound problem though, as I was playing without subtitles, so had to reload an earlier save, switch on subtitles and redo it. There's also a bit much later in the game were Geralt's voice changes during a conversation, don't know if they had to rerecord some of the dialogue using a different actor, but was definitely very odd.

I know big games have issues, played enough Bethesda games to know that, but I felt that W3 got a reasonably easy time of it from the reviewers.

Fair enough, we'll each have different opinions. 

I know that over the years I've had plenty of fun with RPGs such as Risen, Two Worlds, Venetica, Kingdoms of Amular and more recently Kingdom Come Deliverance and Elex, all of which got criticised for having the same issues that I found to W3, but they got somewhat slated for.

Now clearly I don't think W3 is a bad game, but in terms of enjoyment, it was just on par which those aforementioned.

1 hour ago, DANGERMAN said:

each to their own, I'm certainly not telling you that you should enjoy Witcher 3 more, but based on what I played of the Risen and Two Worlds games that's a criminal comparison ?

I suppose for me it's probably about the level of expectation management; if I buy something aware of its perceived shortfalls then I usually end up pleased when it's far from a broken mess that some say it is; but conversely I'm more disappointed with the flaws found in something that's universally lauded.

But overall games are for fun & enjoyment, and we're all welcome to enjoy different things for different reasons.