passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

DisturbedSwan

So I'm still in Velen... I've gone on a bit of an exploration of the area. The 102 '?' markers are now down to 7.

I've not done any quests in 4-5 days. I just wanted to see what the world had to offer.

And because I'm super smart (ie a fucking dumbass) I've been taking on level 18 enemies. While I'm at level 13. Thankfully against single foes it's not been an issue though.

Wandered past an ! thing the other day. There was a guy charging people to view a basilisk, this was just an incidental thing, it doesn't even register as a quest. Anyway, it's a scene from one of the Witcher books, more or less anyway, in the book it's Ciri who deals with him.

It brought home how amazing it is that something that would have been a full quest in any other game was just tossed away here because they've got so many more interesting things going on

I think I need to move the story on now. I've just been wandering around de-riddlering the map, and I might be getting a bit bored. I know I'm ages from the end, just got to Witcher headquarters, but I feel like there's so much not seen yet I want to clear it out a bit

Up to level 17 now, and the game keeps trying to tell me to go to Skellige. Nope, I'm busy!

Been clearing off loads of Witcher and secondary quests the last few days. I think I've got one more level 13 quest, then it's all 14 and above.

Doing all the side stuff has pushed me from level 12 to level 17 in a few days too, so I'm quite happy about that.

As for the main quests, I've got about 3 more besides Skellige the game is pushing on me. Which I will start soon, but every time I clear all the other quests at my level, I've been bumped up to the next one and can clear a load of them off.

Not that I'm complaining right now, this game really has completely pulled me in.

Are the books worth a read? Might take a look on my kindle once I've finished the game.

I've read 2 of them. The first one is a collection of short stories with a running narration over the top, it mentions a few things, the most notable is the intro to Witcher 2, and it's not bad.

I read Time of Contempt, which I think is the first of the full books (book 3, but book 2 is another collection of short stories). I felt like I was missing some stuff, people were mentioned that I felt like I was supposed to know. HOWEVER, it explains a lot of Ciri's story, why the Hunt are after her, and even what happened with the magic users. They used to be held in high esteem, now they're executed if found. It explains that, mostly anyway, certainly the big event if not all the motivations. It's the book that fills in most of the gaps in Witcher 3

I've got the next book to read, an actual paper book, and I'm going to start it this weekend before grabbing a kindle version for my commute

Ah OK, so you'd recommend reading while as I'm playing?

I haven't played the first two in the series (I had a quick go of the second on PC, wasn't a fan), but I really don't feel like I'm missing anything at the minute.

Saying that, I assumed Ciri's story would be filled in as I went along...

for the origins the intro to the game is kind of all you need. Ciri was taken by Geralt and lived with the Witchers, she's got elder blood. What the book goes in to is who's bloodline she's part of and why that's important, I've no idea if the game eventually fills that in

also I got the book order wrong, so I've got book 3 to read after reading book 4 :facepalm: so book 4 is the one that explains about why the magic users aren't exactly loved

edit: Blood of Elves is the 3rd book (first full book), Time of Contempt is 4

• 2 weeks later...

Ok after ploughing some blonde bird at the start, then banging a hooker (at the bargain price of 40 whatevers), me and Yen have now declared our love for each other - and we didn't even do the no pants dance afterwards.

I'm not sure I'll be able to bring myself to dip anyone else.

And yes, that was an exercise in using the worst terms I could think of for sex. Aside from the dance with no pants, that's just funny.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'll wait before I get the expansions for this. As much as I've enjoyed the game up to now, I have other stuff I REALLY want to play (Ratchet and Clank, Life is Strange, Halo: MCC, Zelda: TPHD).

Anyway, I'm about 70-sometig hours into it, level 27. The next story mission is to head off to The Isle of Mists and I've heard it's a point of no return mission so I'm clearing off all the side quests, Witcher quests and treasure chests I can before I do it.

I've managed to totally Velen/Novigrad too. Just one cave left, and one ? marker which is next to a Place of Power. Google tells me this is one I can only get to during a mission I've already done so obviously I'll have to miss that one.

After getting access to some master craftsmen/blacksmiths, I've made a full set of Witcher gear, but the crossbow can't be equipped until I'm at Level 29 so I'm building towards that as my own mini goal right now too.

Random one, but I had a conversation with a mate the other day who thinks the graphics are 'crap' - basically he thinks that the Xbox can't render the world properly, that Geralt and Roach don't quite animate right with the world when running and they look like they've been placed on top of the background. In one respect I get what he means, but at the same time, it's a gorgeous looking game in every respect. It's only when the sun is at it's brightest I ever notice anything close to what he means, and only in the most vibrant areas. Has anyone else noticed this effect?

Anyway, Gwent is ridiculously fun too - I've spent at least 8-9 hours of my time with the game just playing matches, challenging people or doing Gwent related quests. My deck isn't the strongest, and I only have enough for the Northern deck still, none of the others, but I've really enjoyed that side of the game.

Basically, this game has made me a fan of  CD Projekt Red (is it a k, or is it a c? I've seen both...), and however long it takes, Cyberpunk will more than likely be a Day One purchase for me, especially seeing as sci-fi normally grabs me more than fantasy. I'll look forward to them going back to Geralt's world too, whenever that might be.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished the main story. I stand by my previous comments that this is a sublime game, but it did seem to stutter and drag after The Battle Of Kaer Morhen.

Imlerith was pretty tough to beat, until I managed to get a technique down, I'd say harder than Eredin (who I only lost to once when I wasn't paying attention).

Ending spoilers:

Spoiler

I got the Ciri becomes a Witcher ending, which is the one I wanted, although they threw me for a loop when Geralt went to the Emperor to tell him that she was dead. I also thought the sword he had made was a tribute to her, not FOR her, so when I saw her at the inn I was very happy!

I think I'm going to wait before I pick up the DLC. After spending so much time in that world without any other games I need a break, so I've moved across to PS4 to start Ratchet & Clank.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked this up again last night. Whenever the game patches on pc it has an annoying habit of resetting the visuals to some weird custom. Low textures and draw distance but nice effects. It's impressive how good Witcher 3 looks at those settings, I oily clocked it because my card was completely silent. 

Anyway, I was going to post last night how much better the new U.I looks. I didn't realise what was there before was bad, but apparently it was because this looks professional and smart, like it should have looked like that from the off 

I'm thinking about getting this for 18 squids somewhere, I feel like I should love it but from people whose opinions I normally really trust I've heard sort of meh impressions of this

2 hours ago, Sambob said:

I'm thinking about getting this for 18 squids somewhere, I feel like I should love it but from people whose opinions I normally really trust I've heard sort of meh impressions of this

@Sambob I'm buying it digitally in the sale so have my retail version (PS4) up for grabs. I can get £17 trade at GAME, but if you want it you can have it for £15 delivered. Comes with map, soundtrack CD, booklet and stickers.

It's a great game btw.