passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Warframe

RoboticMonk3y

Warframe is currently celebrating it's 5th birthday. If you do the event missions you can get some nice weapons and slots to store them in for free, which is super nice. Beats paying for them.

There's also a almost free colour palette up for grabs for the measly sum of 1 credit, which is as good as nothing since you gather thousands of the fuckers each time you play. The colours are called Shamrock and celebrate Saint Patrick's Day.

The time finally came. I had to spend some of the free platinum to continue, in this case 20 platinum to buy a slot of store my Rhino Warframe. I can't remember if I have 130 or 230 platinum left over, but I'll keep tabs on how far I can get on the free stuff before I have to spill.

Speaking of which, it's actually better to buy the £45 thing than it is over the £40 thing. You only get platinum in the lower priced bundle, in the higher priced bundle you get another 200 platinum (approx £10 worth), 2 Prime versions of the Warframes they have on sale (they rotate them in and out of sale, which is called vaulting and unvaulting, it's currently Loki and Ember Prime) and a load of other shit which makes life a bit nicer. The duo Prime bundle is definitely the way forwards if you're wanting to pony up.

I forgot how much fun the game is after a brief stint away. I'm sort of shocked nobody else here is playing.

That first handful of hours is confusing as fuck and there's trips and stumbles as you have to wiki occasional things as you progress. If you're into looting stuff and making builds with various perks and classes then I'd say it's worth a shot.

It's just getting your head around it that's the big thing. You don't level up like you'd expect. There's a lot of tiered systems in place that all overlay each other. You've top break through this wall of confounding options. Once you do there's a wealth of options and plenty of loot grinding to do. It's weird because it's taken bits from all the other loot games so it's a bit of a Frankenstein monster, but like said monster if you get to understand how it ticks it's very engrossing and it's very easy to dip in and out of. It took me maybe a match or two before I was able to take off from where I was.

It's a rough gem for sure, but a gem none the less.

Had another moment where using the levelling build I (we) were using and were getting stomped on a level. Brought Volt back out to play, as well as @smallofbooty bringing out another stronger frame and beasted the cunt without any problems. 

I sort of like that there's instances where you have to look at the loadouts people are taking in and making sure there's no gaps the enemies can get through. It was also a very different experience in handling, going from Rhino to Volt was like going from being in a  fat suit to doing a rail of coke whilst riding lightning.

Finally finished all the prerequisites to unlock the Saturn junction and battered the guardian there on my second try. Was told to use melee by a mate but decided it was much easier to shoot the cunt in the head over and over until she went down like a sack of shit. Much easier than the other bastard on one of the previous relays, fuck me I think I would quit if I got another as hard as that. Using a frame and a build that can cope with those things is a lesson you get banged up into you if you decide to go against it feeling cocky.

So I now have access to nanospores, which means I can finally get that fucking dog the game had me chasing after about 50 hours of gameplay ago. If this pet isn't good they really fucked up. It's got good competition from the other pets so it might all be for nothing anyway. I guess we'll find out over the next few sessions.

Also made it to mastery rank 7 first go. @smallofbooty took ages to get past it saying they wouldn't spawn fast enough for him to pass,  I have no idea what the fuck he was on about because I did it with over a minute to spare. I reckon you could do that with the sword and attacking abilities. It was a piece of piss.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite definitely having played it about 3 years ago, I booted it up and it made me start from scratch with a new character.

Did the first mission after the tutorial one.

I’m not entirely sure what’s going on.

To be honest, i’m just wildly mashing buttons and stuff seems to be falling down.

I’ve gone with the bog standard frame that you see in all the pictures about it, as it suggested it was best for beginners.

I’ve also gone for a sword, throwing knives and a bow to silently take things down. Seems to do the trick.

I’ve also made a garishly pink character, as is my usual way.

C862F9D5-CD15-4D60-B71E-A6823E516C7D.jpeg

Done a few more missions.

I seem to be ignoring the pistol and moving around like a ballerina and just going for stealthy headshots with the bow. Which will surprise no-one.

I might well be “playing it wrong” but I’m getting a ton of extra points for stealth kills so I feel like i’m doing alright.

Unlocked the blueprints and mods abilities and it hasn’t explained them very well. I can ignore the blueprints because I can see that I don’t have enough crafting materials but the mods said something about drain, which makes me think that there’s a downside to installing them but what does it drain?

I really dig the movement and the frame rate is rock solid.

Drain is just how much of your available capacity each mod will take up. As your weapon or frame levels up you'll gain extra capacity allowing you to install additional mods or to raise the strength of an existing mod (thereby increasing its drain). Mods are good bringing real changes to the way weapons and frames behave. You can do crit builds, DPS builds, etc. It becomes nicely deep.

Also happy to backtrack and guide you through some of the obscurely unexplained essentials.

Think I’ve figured out the mods.

I believe I’ve killed the boss on Earth, or at least one of them. First mission that I played that had randoms join me.

I’ve also done Master Rank 1 and unlocked Venus.

Should I be spending the premium currency on a companion? And if so, which ones are good?

Better saving your platinum for extra weapons slots and frame space which will become an issue down the road. You should be able to purchase blue prints with regular credits for companions and craft them at the appropriate point. The taxon is a good one as it can recharge and overboost your shields.

Don't spend your platinum on anything that's not permanent. You can get everything you see in game by playing, but you're going to need slots to put them in. I think the general consensus is buy slots each time you get a Frame so you can have a Frame of each class (not including Primes, they'd replace standard Frames) and then with the weapons if you come across a weapon you really like don't sell it. You're going to be using a hell of a lot of weapons and flipping them because it helps you level up and discover what type of weapons you're going to prefer.

Of course there's going to be times where you're going to have to level a weapon you don't like and that's going to suck, those are the weapons you don't bother keeping, you max them out, check to see if there's an evolved form of them and then flip them.

I’ve used platinum for the first time now, had no space for a weapon that came out of the crafting table so used platinum to buy the extra slot.

I’m not fussed as I’m pretty certain I’ll buy one of their packs which will come with extra platinum.

Played a bit more with Dave earlier, he helped me open the path to Mars so now I have 4 planets available I think.

Still pretty astonishing how much stuff there is for a free game. 

I didn’t touch a second of any of the Destiny betas or full games, nor Division, but I have played a lot of Borderlands and Diablo and it’s scratching that itch.

64 hours is probably not a fair assumption of what you'd need to spend to get it. I've done a lot of back and forth and replaying stuff to get things done in other areas of the game. It's pretty mad it's buried so far into the game when the game pushes you into getting the dog so early on and makes such a big song and dance about it. So far for the f2p game it feels like the only predatory thing I've seen. I'm not pleased they did that, but I'm not put off either. It could have certainly been brought forwards a little bit.

The dog is surprisingly good, but not in the ways I was expecting it to be. When you have the floating companion the way it strikes at enemies means it's basically a gun sat on your shoulder, which it kind of is when you think about it. It's more akin to having another player on the field, I think the best thing I like to see it do it pull enemies out of cover and generally causing a bit of discord in the ranks of the enemies as ity runs around and draws attention from me and my squad mates. I was a bit concerned about it dying because there seemed to be no way to heal it other than reviving it when it got knocked out in game, but I got a mod that has a life steal on melee hits I do that feed back into the dogs health pool, which is super gravy. Thumbs up here!

Having a quick study at the console on the ship it appears there's different types of dog that are good for different jobs. I got the one that retrieves items for you while you're fighting if there's no enemy currently near it.. If you stand idle for any amount of time it digs the floor and roots up some goodies varying from credits, health, special and materials. Having a quick gander at the others it looks like there's dogs that can be bred for stealth, tanking or pure aggression. It'll be interesting to see what RNG bestows upon he people playing if they get the dog. So far though, I like what I have, I just need to make sure the cunt never dies permanently because the time investment waiting on clocks to count down is a hell of a lot.

I'm so close to getting my hands on some other frames as well. Ember, Excalibur, Frost, Hydroid, Mag and Valkyr are all 1 or 2 bits off being complete. In a few days time I'll have Limbo to play with who is a quest based frame you can't really miss out on. Looks like it could potentially be fun to play reading up on the skills from the blueprints. I'm hoping we can have a sort of farming session wehre we try to go through the bosses and see if we can drop some of the parts we need.

I also need Meso relics before I can continue smashing the fuck out of planets. I don't know what to do first. This game is like going to one of those all you can eat buffets, you just don't know where to start.