passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Pillars of Eternity

DANGERMAN

Good session today. Won the battle to stake my claim to the keep and also went back and beat Lord Rodric, the guy who was terrorising Gilded Vale. I was too weak when I tried that battle a year ago. Starting to build up cash too so I’ve bought some of the equipment that costs 10,000+ gold. Decided to explore under the keep.

Spoiler

I went into the Pit in Level 2 that leads to level 5 and the battle with the drake. Won that and now I’m working my way back to the ground floor. When i’ve that done i’ll go back to level 6 and continue down. Love this area. Dungeoneering is when Pillars is at its best.

Continuing to explore the dungeons under Caed Nua.

Spoiler

Just finished clearing out level 8 which featured enemies called Fampyrs who are probably the strongest and most resilient regular mobs i’ve met up to this point. Still no match for my party but, maybe shit is about to get serious... 

On to level 9 we go...

Well level 9 contains a mechanics check of 10 which none of my characters can meet, so I can’t continue for now. I’ll build the extension to the keep that gives a mechanics bonus on rest, and level up my character maybe one more time and that should be enough. But for now I’ll continue with the story.

• 2 weeks later...

Booted this up today having finished Act 2 the last time I played the game, around a week ago. When I travelled to Elmshore I was told that my characters were considered high level for this area and given the option to permanently increase the difficulty for the remainder of the game. Initially, I selected yes, but my very next fight against random enemies turned into a huge slog, so I reloaded my save and stuck with the standard difficulty.

Finally arrived in Twin Elms now. 

Played ten minutes of this today and that was enough, time to move on. I played around 23 hours of this last summer and bumped it up to 57 hours this time. This game might have the best real-time with pause combat of any classic crpg I’ve played, but other areas are lacking. I don’t think the game compares favourably to classics like Baldur’s Gate or Planescape: Torment, or to more recent games like Divnity: Original Sin which simply has far more life to it. 

I would probably rate it 8/10, but still it goes into the “over-rated” pile for me.