passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Pillars of Eternity

DANGERMAN

• 3 years later...
5 hours ago, shinymcshine said:

Started this today (PS4) played for about 90 mins, and seems promising so far.

Are you playing in turn based or real time with pause? They added a whole turn based mode to the game a while back.

Whilst I'm really enjoying this there's a few minor niggles that make it a bit too 2000 rather than 2015, which they should have ironed out.

- Loading screens : in particularly in the stronghold, where each area isn't that large, but to rest in the Brightside lodge, there's a load to enter, another one to go upstairs, then resting 'load' screen, then another 2 load screens to leave.

- Inventory : doesn't seem to be any way of dropping things from inventory (PS4). I can move from party inventory to stash, but once that's full too (100/100) I can't drop things, but can only trash them (which is then 3-4 button clicks per item).

Grimores : I've got a few that I've picked up but can't seem to put them into the quick item slot like it suggests (PS4). I'm guessing there suppose to allow magic users more spells per rest?

• 3 weeks later...

55 hrs and just about to drop down the pit (Act 3) which my missus says leads to the endgame.

It's been okay, suppose since I played D:OS2 recently it compares unfavourably to that, real time pause with radials doesn't work that well for me, and the AI behaviour scripts don't seem all that great - I so much prefer turn based in games like this.

So I'll give it a push on to the finish but likely to skip The White March DLC.

• 2 months later...

I’m about 5 hours into this now. In some areas it’s better than I was expecting, the music has been quite nice and the voice acting too, they’ve gone for a kind of ye-olde fantasy vibe with the voice acting. It’s very similar to Baldur’s Gate (right down to “you must gather your party before venturing forth”) but it hasn’t quite impressed me like those games did, but there’s plenty of time for that, and it seems like it’s going to be a meaty adventure.

Probably the biggest difference is having “Endurance” as well as Health in combat. 

I just picked up my second companion. Actually when I talked to him there was a minor bug where the game skipped the first few words of every line of his spoken dialogue, but I haven’t had that happen with anyone else.

Had a good session on this today. With three characters (a fighter, a wizard and a priest) combat is starting to become a lot of fun. Characters who are knocked out being resurrected immediately after combat is a nice touch, I seem to remember in the older games having to reset immediately if a character died during combat. In this game that’s not necessary at all. I feel that the game is very well balanced on Normal difficulty, so far. The spells are cool, some of the enemies designs are nice, the environmental art is really nice. And some of the problems that the older games had like pathfinding don’t seem to be a problem in this game. So far, so good. Completed a lot of side quests today including clearing out the temple below Gilded Vale.

About 15 hours in. I fucking love this game now. I’m already looking forward to playing the sequel. Currently have five party members and combat is a blast. The chanter is a cool character class. I feel already like this is one of the Kickstarter games where they totally delivered on what they promised.

The only area where the game lets itself down a little is the writing. As soon as a block of text opens up on the screen I zone out. I didn’t have this with other similar games (Torment, Divinity). In particular the NPCs who have those mini short stories, my eyes glaze over immediately. But the gameplay is on the money.

Also, the ability to enchant weapons and armour is a cool feature. And being able to have two weapons sets and change them on the fly.

• 2 weeks later...

Up to about 19 hours now. Only played it a couple of times since my last post but I’ll try to make some good progress this week. I’ve been ploughing through the Defiance Bay content in my last couple of sessions. It’s probably sitting on an 8/10 for me. It’s good but it doesn’t do anything spectacularly well. And the writing is pretty bad, especially the text dumps.

• 10 months later...

Disco Elysium had me back in point and click mode so I decided to go back to this. Stopped playing it in July last year having more or less thoroughly explored Defiance Bay and completed most of the sidequests I picked up there. It was relatively easy to get back into, there is a biography that outlines the main story up to that point and you can read about every quest you have unlocked or completed.

I was checking out all my characters equipment and i noticed for close range weapons, most of my characters had slow two handed weapons. In my stash i had a bunch of unique, fast one handed weapons that had cool perks so i equipped a couple of my characters with those instead. So now, in my five member party only the main character and Durant the mage have slow close range weapons.

I did a couple of sidequests and that allowed me to relearn the combat. I’d forgotten how fun combat is in the game when you factor in how vastly different all the characters are, in particular the mages, and summoning creatures to help you in combat never gets old.

So far, so good.

Had a marathon session on this tonight. I had left it last year with a few quests at the “return to quest giver to collect your reward” stage, so i did that. That gave me my sixth party member, Pellegina, and all my characters reached level 7. I don’t know why but I seem to have a better handle on combat this time around, I completed the quests that had been giving me trouble before in Heritage Hill and the Lighthouse. So that’s everything done in Defiance Bay.

Just before I turned it off I visited my stronghold, the music in the main hall is lovely. Having a really good time with this so far.

• 2 weeks later...

40 hours now. Picked up a bunch of quests in Dryford Village. I also have two new companions, one of whom, a Druid, I swapped in for my chanter. I’ll see how he is in combat then decide whether to keep him or not. I will try all my companions though because i want to complete their quests.