passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Bloodborne

Sambob

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are making a new game Nag, it's called Elden Ring.

Having it on PC means a great game isn't marooned on a dead system.

I agree tho, I hope Capcom stop remaking RE games ?

1 minute ago, OCH said:

Poor Demon's Souls...?

They're remaking that shit for PS5

4 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

They're remaking that shit for PS5

Still just rumoured. DeS remains the best in the series to me. Not every Soulsborne game needs guns to be fun, after all.?

• 1 year later...

So, let's get started!

1BB.jpg

We begin the adventures of Zark III.

Although, due to my set-up, this will be played sporadically. Since my TV sits on my window sill, due to it's size. This game is too bloody dark for me to see by day. I had similar issues with InFamous Second Son, during it's night scenes.

First impressions, the controls are weird. Admittedly, I might have found them less so, if I had begun to play this immediately following DeS. But some of the inputs are different, regardless. For example, when you start there is this werewolf two or three rooms in. I'm thinking, here's the Vanguard/Asylum Demon of this game. Except it only had a third of it's life bar left. So I went for it. Managed to get a partial (?) backstab on it, even though I didn't have a weapon. But then Wolfy just laid there, in a stunned state. That's new. I imagine the backstab only works properly with a weapon. So I hit it again, it turns around. I get caught on a table and it mauls me to death. Cue waking up in the game hub and getting my gun. I'll try more later.

Note: This is a first playthough and I have jumped immediately to this page, ignoring the previous ones.

BB is one of those games where I actually recommend looking a little bit at guides to find out the stuff you can miss, cause almost all the best stuff in this game is extremely missable and accessing it is very arcane. Missing that stuff can spoil the experience more than a 'spoiler', imo

Think of the Dark Souls 1 DLC, the weird way you have to access that. It's not as bad as that but not a million miles away.

Loud screaming...

So, I don't know if it is just the first area but the level design here really isn't doing anything for me. It is a bit too samey. I spent over an hour wandering around what, to me, seemed to be the same three streets? Through my wanderings I have been practicing the pew, pews. It's funny, the first thought I had upon combating a gank squad of farmers(?) was how I'm missing a shield. The game is more offense focused, than I'm used to with From Soft games. Encountered these big boys, one with an axe and a couple with bricks. They are quite easy to "parry". The regular rank and file, it seems easier just to charge at them and stab them to death.

Eventually, when practically everything in those three streets was dead. I found the first boss. A giant, screaming wolf-thing. First attempt, while fighting the camera, I got it down to 3/4 health. Before, it became more aggressive. "Pissy-Boss Mode" as a YouTuber I watch would say. Not sure I like this lean towards faster, aggressive enemies. Especially as I'm not finding the controls very intuitive to adjust to. ?

Tbh you're probably going to get stuck in that 'wtf is this game' mode with BB for a bit because it is quite differently paced. Even with DS1 xp I took a very long time to get into BB. I dropped it for a year and came back, it just didn't click at first. None of From's games do with me tbh, so I usually don't bother playing them at release anymore.

So you know what I think? I think they will probably remaster or remake this one soon and waiting mightn't be the worst idea. Cause the 60fps will help with the speed of the game, I agree it's messy to look at sometimes despite loving BB a lot.

13 hours ago, OCH said:

Loud screaming...

So, I don't know if it is just the first area but the level design here really isn't doing anything for me. It is a bit too samey. I spent over an hour wandering around what, to me, seemed to be the same three streets? Through my wanderings I have been practicing the pew, pews. It's funny, the first thought I had upon combating a gank squad of farmers(?) was how I'm missing a shield. The game is more offense focused, than I'm used to with From Soft games. Encountered these big boys, one with an axe and a couple with bricks. They are quite easy to "parry". The regular rank and file, it seems easier just to charge at them and stab them to death.

Eventually, when practically everything in those three streets was dead. I found the first boss. A giant, screaming wolf-thing. First attempt, while fighting the camera, I got it down to 3/4 health. Before, it became more aggressive. "Pissy-Boss Mode" as a YouTuber I watch would say. Not sure I like this lean towards faster, aggressive enemies. Especially as I'm not finding the controls very intuitive to adjust to. ?

That was one of my biggest complaints with it overall, it's just one big Victorian inspired castle and didn't offer a lot in terms of variety, there are still some cool areas though and things do intertwine in typical From fashion.

I too found it a struggle to adapt to the combat and never quite got the Parry down during my entire playthrough, never quite got to grips with the more aggressive combat and enemies either. 

Definitely my least favourite Soulsborne game for sure, think it is massively overrated compared to their incredible other games. I did still enjoy it and finished it, but yeah.

You did miss a ton of stuff tho, like the final boss, cainhurst and most of the weapons.

BB has the coolest weapon designs of the series for me. Love the way you can swap forms during an attack and the bloodtinge run I did with the weird spear gun and the blood katana was the most fun I've had in these games. Your spear id a shotgun, its stupid but it works (especially against wolfies)

On one particular rafter, I found a "Saw Spear". Now I chose the saw blade, as my default weapon. Stat-wise, there's nothing between them? It looked to me, like if you picked one of the other weapons, this was your in-game Saw type. So you didn't miss out.

Without the need for guides, I know what to look out for a complete experience(this is not an entirely blind playthrough): The Castle summons and 3 cord pieces.  Not sure at this point if I will go further than the base game though.

All the weapons you can choose end up in the shop. Some weapons require you to get badges for them to be unlocked in the shop.

Difference between Saw Cleaver and Saw Spear is the move set. They combo differently.

Whenever I got a new weapon I'd go to the dream and play with it for a bit, I wish there was a training dummy you could beat on somewhere so you can get an idea of what you can do in regards to closing the gap, getting a flurry in and leaving yourself space to dodge.

I can't remember which weapon it was, but on the back step you could do a thing that punished them if they tried to close in. Might be the axe extend.

Combo stuff in this game is so free flowing, I was still discovering stuff by the end of the game.

Yeah, I'm at a bit of a loss with the spatial awareness of these weapons. "Closed" Saw Cleaver, seems to have no range at all, but it is strong. Whereas flicking it open, has the range but no speed. I can't quite get to grips with switching on the fly. The gun is also a really ill defined parry system. I shot a dog, at a couple of different points. No stunned state. The farmers didn't seem to have one either. Although back stabs worked against them. Maybe I should have chosen the blunderbuss instead of the hand gun?

I think for the most part it's always a trade off between range and speed.

What are you speccing for? Don't recall what the saw cleaver scales with, think it was skill/strength.

One thing I do dislike about these games is they don't exactly make it easy to just start levelling a different weapon. I think Dark Souls is a bit more generous about that, BB makes you struggle for those resources more. I think I only ever managed to fully max 2 weapons in a playthrough. Maybe 3 with the DLC

I don't think I ever had the balls to try out the combos at all from memory, just went for the standard R1 shot and maybe trying to R2 if I was up against a 'lesser' enemy. I went for the Axe I think although all the starter weapons felt almost the same to me.

4 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

What are you speccing for?

I chose 'Military Veteran' (it seemed fitting for my third From Soft game in a row) as a starting class, and that one starts with high skill and strength. So those are the two I'm leaning towards building right now.

• 8 months later...

Okay, Elden Ring stuff got me thinking to give this another go.  Will this be the time it clicks?  Probably not, but let's see.

When I first played it I was carried through the Cleric Beast and Father Gascoigne by Hendo but at the very least I've done them both on my own now.

Cleric was actually done pretty easily on my third attempt.  I got a Molotov on it that opened it up for a big attack and after some messy nonsense I got it locked down and messed it up.

Gascoigne was more annoying as I kept getting him down to a tiny bit of health but at one point he would always get me going ham in wolf form.  But on around my eighth or ninth go attempt I got him.  I cheesed his human form a lot, hiding behind the graves and heavy attacking him through them with the long axe.  I am refusing to have shame.

I'm at Old Yharnam now and I know I did a lot of this area before so now I'm just gonna aim for getting further than I did before.