passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Bloodborne

Sambob

Beat the Witches so that’s five bosses down. Currently level 42, play time 25 hours. I explored a few more places.

Spoiler

I went back to where I fought Gasgoigne and found a very powerful enemy there, my attacks barely scratched him.  I went to where the lightning rod guy and his pal were, I beat them and explored where they were guarding. But it seems to be a dead end for now with a door sealed by a magic spell. The areas where I fought the Blood-starved beast and the Witches also appear to be dead ends, so I have to search somewhere else for the way forward...

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another marathon session today.

Spoiler

I discovered that a door had opened in the chapel place so I followed that to the workshop tower area. At the top was a lot of enemies and eventually a locked door, and down below, a spooky fire breathing werewolf enemy, more treasure and I finally found that treasure on a ledge next to Henriett’s summon sign.

I went to the central plaza in the Cathedral Ward and it had changed completely at night time. The giants were sleeping which was cool. I found the path that leads to me second encounter with that blonde haired guy and after him to the Forbidden Woods.

I explored this place very thoroughly and ended up with over 30,000 souls. I had found one cave that appeared to be a hidden path to somewhere, and another area with a giant cannon and a nearby shortcut. At this point I went back to cash in my souls.

In the course of my travels I picked up a special stone which allows me to survive the magic spell that was guarding the door I mentioned. I was picked up by what appeared to be a giant spider (Amygdala?) and transfer to a kind of lecture building which led to the Nightmare Frontier. I was invaded here for the first time. 

Upgraded my Kirkhammer to +6 and it requires a new kind of upgrade material now. Currently level 47 after 30 hours.

I recorded a couple of short videos for fun.

Testing if an enemy will trigger a trap.

I just went to look down here in peace...

More good progress tonight.

Spoiler

I found Iosefka’s Clinic but I didn’t fight her. Sent an NPC to her in the Forbidden Woods. I found the summons to Cainhurst which says I have to catch a stagecoach from Hemwick Crossing.

I found the shortcut next to the starting lantern in Forbidden Woods, and the NPC who asks you to join a league, which I did. Continued exploring the Forbidden Woods, the area infested with snake type enemies. Had 21,000 souls but died... But at least I found a rune that gives +100 slow poison resistance. I’ll continue to explore tomorrow.

I spent a little bit of time in the Nightmare Frontier but I didn’t like the giant spider that was perched on the cliff. Also I got one shotted by two different invaders, one with a bow and one with a gun. So invaders aren’t fucking around in this game.

Had one go at Rom, didn’t win but doesn’t seem like it’s gonna be too hard. Glad it wasn’t remotely scary either, I was expecting a giant tarantula. 

Spoiler

Also rode the stagecoach to Cainhurst Castle. Was walking in the snow then boom, a spider like creature with the head of an old lady attacked me, and then a second one joined in. They were very powerful so I think I’ll leave this place alone for now. 

So I have Byrgenwerth, the Nightmare Frontier and Cainhurst Castle. Byrgenwerth seems like it’s gonna be short.

Had a good session tonight. Beat two bosses and upgraded my weapon to +8.

Spoiler

Beat The One Return on my third attempt. Then went back and explored that level some more, stumbled onto the Darkbeast Paarl boss who I beat on my first attempt! Happy days! I ended up back in Old Yarnham and I befriended the clock tower NPC who gave me some stuff, on condition that I stop hunting the beasts there.

Currently level 65 after 43 hours, although that includes a fair bit of idle time. In the Nightmare of Mensis now.

• 2 weeks later...

Took a week off then came back to it and made some good progress. 

Spoiler

Finished the Nightmare of Mensis and the two bosses there. I knew the Nightmare of Mensis contained spiders so I read the wiki page for the area to be forewarned. When I did come to the spider room it was a “holy fuck” moment but I managed to easily pick them off one by one and cheese the big one. They looked more like ants really once they were on the ground.

Beat Micolash on my third try, that was a stupid boss fight. After that I followed the wiki page to get the blood stone so I was able to upgrade my Kirkhammer to +10, and also I got lots of powerful gems to equip. The second part of the Nightmare of Mensis was pretty straightforward. I got invaded once (and lost, of course) but I made it through to the boss pretty quickly. And I beat the Wet Nurse on my first try having used all 20 blood vials so that felt good. She gave me my first piece of the umbilical cord.

Going back to the Hunter’s Dream, it appears I’ve reached the end of the main game, which in my eyes makes Bloodborne one of the shorter Souls games (including Sekiro) and one of the easiest, at least up to this point. That might change...

But I don’t want to finish the game just yet, and I have lots left to do. I have to go back and fight Amygdala, and visit the Upper Cathedral Ward, and Cainhurst Castle. I have to go back to Iosefka’s Clinic. That’s just the stuff that I’m aware of. 

And of course the Old Hunters DLC. I spent the last while playing it just now, it’s awesome. I explored up to what appears to be a boss room, then I took an alternative path that led eventually to a blood red river full of poisonous frog type enemies. I took the right route and that led to a cave where a hunter came at me blasting a machine gun, so I backed out. Taking the left route, I ran out of blood vials so that was where I called it a day. 

Picked up some cool stuff in the DLC. Some unique weapons, a new badge, my first “Vermin”.

Currently level 77 after 49 hours.

Done everything that I want to do in the vanilla game so time to move into to the DLC.

Spoiler

I beat all remaining optional bosses: Ebretias, Martyr Logarius and Amygdala. Logarius was a cool fight and one of the better boss fights in the game I think, along with Father Gasgoigne. Feel like a million years ago I fought Father Gasgoigne though. Got three thirds of the umbilical cord too.

Heres a video of me fighting Ebretias alongside ever-trustworthy Damian.

As far as vanilla Bloodborne goes, I enjoyed it a lot, but it’s an uneven experience (I haven’t yet finished the game though). And whisper it, I might actually rank it fifth of the five Souls games I’ve played (off the top of my head I would say that Dark Souls 1 and 3 and Sekiro are all excellent and Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne are “merely“ very very good. But I’m not done with it yet, and some times it takes time to realise how you really feel about a game.

Made some good progress in the DLC.

Spoiler

Beat Ludwig after seven or eight attempts with the help of Henriett. I’m pretty sure this is the strongest boss I’ve fought in Bloodborne so far? Great fight. Got the Holy Moonlight Sword and he also dropped a rune which increases rally potential by 20%. Immediately equipped!

Continued on to the Laboratory and had about 70,000 souls exploring there, I found the connecting elevators that led from the fifth floor to the lantern so that’s when I called it a day. Everyone is talking about a “Lady Maria” so I guess I will run into her eventually. Also, a NPC wrapped in bandages asked me for brain fluid.

Currently level 87 after almost 60 hours. DLC has been excellent so far.

I watched a Let's Play not too long ago. Although I still have no interest in the game myself, the aesthetic is nice, as is typical of From Soft. However... Does every other boss have to scream so loud????

Beaten three bosses since my last post, the last one just now! Video in the spoiler box.

Spoiler

Beat the Living Failures and Lady Maria pretty easily, and just now beat the Orphan Kos after a solid 90 minutes or so of trying.

Terrible start but it was the run that did it for me!

Pretty damn happy with that. Now to track down the other boss in the DLC.

Finished! Beat the final boss on my third try and the final final boss on my first proper try with blood vials. Easy peasy. 

Overall, I loved the first half of the game. The streets of Yarnham and the Cathedral Ward were definitely the highlights. The second half/final third of the game (everything after Rom) was a bit more iffy. The Nightmare Frontier with its bell maiden was just a shitty area in general, the entire sequence in Yargul from start to finish, the Nightmare at Mensis with its frenzy window, giant spiders and more bell maidens.

But the DLC was excellent, had great areas (apart maybe from the final area which was a bit depressing) and easily the best bosses in the game.

The bosses were a mixed bag but my favourites were undoubtedly the more melee based ones - Father Gasgoigne, Martyr Logarius, Gherman, Lady Maria and of course the Orphan of Kos.

If I was to play it again I would experiment more with weapons, outfits and throw myself into the co-op side of the game, like I had done with Dark Souls 2 and 3.

In general, the enemy design was great, combat was fantastic and the rally system is something I would like to see again.

9/10

Yeah I think all those bosses were my favourites too. Except Ludwig topped my list cause it's such a good design and has very cool music.

The DLC weapons add great replay value too cause they're so freaking weird. I think you can run into the DLC area fairly early on and just grab them and go back to the base game. I did that on one playthrough.

The thing I like most is going back in and working out the lore. Only thing I really dislike about this game is how much of the story critical backstory is in those chalice dungeons which I never bothered with cause they were shite.

They are good for farming and making the game much easier. I did all of the main story up to the last boss and was probably around level 80 something. Then did all the Chalice Dungeons and took on the last boss at level 140 something lol. That’s my kind of Souls game.

• 3 months later...