passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Bloodborne

Sambob

Started playing this again for the first time since April. 

Last major thing I did was Vicar Amelia, and then I couldn’t find where to go next. Last night I was just running around fighting everything I could to level up and get back into the swing of the combat, I think I’ve definitely gotten better since playing Dark Souls for the channel for some reason. 

Anyway, I randomly stumbled onto the Forbidden Forest, so now I have a vague idea of where to go (or at least a new area to explore) I think I’ll level up some more and then start making videos again. I forgot how much I love this game. 

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's all the optional bosses soloed, now I just need to finish the game. 

Technically I have Gehrman and the Moon Presence to do to, but I'm counting them as mandatory as I need them to get the third ending. 

Tempted to just go for the platinum on this one.

It’s a reasonably simple Plat. Just save scum the ending unless you want to play it 3 times. 

Also use a wiki to work out the critical path through the Chalice Dungeons. You don’t have to do them all to get the things you need 

15 hours ago, Maf said:

It’s a reasonably simple Plat. Just save scum the ending unless you want to play it 3 times. 

Also use a wiki to work out the critical path through the Chalice Dungeons. You don’t have to do them all to get the things you need 

You can only scum the ending if you have ps+

It's the only way that you can make a backup of your save... :(

• 3 months later...

6 hours and 30 levels into the playthrough we're doing for the YouTube channel.

Cleric Beast, Father Gascgoine, and Blood Starved Beast are all dead. On our way to Vicar Amelia now.

My first playthrough took 38 hours and I was level 107 by the end of it so I'm hoping for a slightly quicker playthough this time, but we're going for the Moon Presence ending so it might take a bit longer.

If you want to follow along feel free (subscribe etc)

• 6 months later...

Tried this for the first time yesterday. Played for 30 minutes and was a bit confused by having no weapons (apparently I was supposed to have picked up a broken sword or something but I missed it). Loaded it up today, went back to the Hunter’s Dream and lo and behold I could finally go inside, and I was given a choice of starter weapons (I chose the Hunter’s Axe and Pistol). I guess the trigger was dying a couple of times?

From here I explored pretty much all of Central Yarnham, and some of the aqueducts. An enemy in the aqueducts dropped a set of Hunter gear which was much better than the armour I had. I wasn’t too keen on continuing in the aqueducts (I had 4000 blood echoes) so I went back to Central Yarnham. Took on the boss there. 

Spoiler

I mean the Cleric Beast. He seemed pretty straightforward. Because I’d been playing for like 3 hours straight I had around 20 of those healing potions. I thought I was going to beat him on my first attempt but towards the end he picked me up and did an attack that pretty much drained my whole health bar. Oh well. I’ll get him next time. 

At least fighting him once allowed me to finally level up. I lost the blood echoes I was carrying but I had a few of the items that give you blood echoes, so I was able to level up twice (I raised my vitality) and I reinforced my axe to +1.

Looking forward to playing more tomorrow. I like the setting of the game.

Beat the Cleric Beast. I realised the importance of attacking after taking damage to recover heath, something that makes this game totally different to Dark Souls. So I changed to a fast one handed style and just attacked him over and over, mostly I was healing immediately after taking damage so I only had to use a few healing potions. First boss down!

Somewhat amazingly only 48% of players have the achievement for beating him, that’s a big drop off for the first boss of a game!

I found the next boss, a retired soccer player. Seemed like kind of more of the same where getting up in his face would be pretty important, but I only tried him once.

Beat Father Gasgoigne.

Spoiler

It was around my fifth attempt and my first and thankfully only time seeing his second form. When I beat him my heart rate was going through the roof. A fight like that really gets the adrenaline going. 

I sent the lady that was looking for a safe place to the church. When I went back to the Great Bridge the sky was orange like it was on fire, really cool. 

Also, wheelchair guy showed up in the Hunter’s Dream again and told me to look for chalices.

Onwards we go... This game is fantastic.

Passed the 10 hour mark. Currently level 24 and my weapon is the Kirkhammer +2. Currently exploring Old Yarnham. Could continue here but I think I’ll go back to the Cathedral Ward bonfire tomorrow and see what the giant was guarding.

Had a good session last night between midnight and 2am...

Spoiler

First I continued in Old Yarnham. I had about 7000 souls and I reached an area where I was nervous about continuing because I seemed to be heading towards that hunter like enemy who looks like Father Gasgoigne, so I went back to the Hunter’s Dream, sold some stuff and bought the crest that opens the gate in the Cathedral Ward.

I explored this area more or less completely, including unlocking the two gates, one which leads back to the plaza with the slow dumb giants and the other which leads back to the Cathedral Ward bonfire. I found the summon sign for the Old Hunter Henrietta.I stopped at this point because I had another 7000 souls and there was a warning at the base of the stairs saying “beware of strong enemy”. I’ll check out where that leads tonight. Currently level 27.

I like reading about how much you're enjoying it - particularly since I weirdly didn't.

My missus completed it, and NG+ and the DLC, but, despite me loving & finishing DS 1, 2 & 3 there's just something about Bloodborne that just doesn't do it for me (I tried it twice, about a year apart, first time for around 5 hrs, second time around 10 hrs).

I think some of it is that I'm a slow methodical plodder with the Souls games, tending to use a shield at times, and learning attack patterns, whilst Bloodborne felt more high tempo and that I just had to aggressively attack most things (by what felt like just button mashing). I know that's a simplified generalisation, but that's probably the issue for me.

I'm not suggesting that there's any lack of skill required, just that my perceived change of pace in the gameplay wasn't something that I enjoyed.

BB rewards and punishes aggression. I think when you break it down though its combat system is no different to playing Dark Souls with two handed claymores/clubs etc. You still have to be mindful to not empty your stamina during attacks, it's not as far away from the formula as it seems.

Instead of a shield you have a gun which is just a spin on the riposte from DS. When you compare it to DS3 also both games are the same tempo, just DS3 has more systems and choices about builds. But it is very much building off of Bloodborne with its approach to fighting.

I think one thing that lots of people miss out on is the huge amount of really good optional stuff in BB and some of the way weirder weapons. Its imo the 'richest' feeling game they've ever made with how well produced it is and the aesthetics and encounter design and everything else. I don't know how they'll ever top it

Beat the Blood Starved Beast. On my second attempt I had him down to where his health wasn’t even visible, like an idiot I went for one extra attack and of course I was the one who died. In the past that would have sent me into a depression but I just went right back and beat him on my next try. Pretty easy and fun boss. That’s four bosses down I think.

Time to continue on the Frontier. I also have the Pthumerian Chalice Dungeon or whatever it’s called but I’m not sure if I’m gonna bother with it. Apparently these chalice dungeons are infested with spiders.