passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

MFGamers' Games of the Year 2014

HandsomeDead

Before this disappears into irrelevance, if it hasn't already, I have compiled the votes that we made months ago and can reveal the winners of MFGamers' Games of the Year 2014.

Since it is as late as it is I can safely say that these are the most fashionable winners in the world. I'm gonna claim that and I won't hear any talk that says otherwise. These are fashionable awards!

Game of the Year!

#1: Mario Kart 8

2404984-wiiu_mariokart8_121813_scrn_01.j

I feel like this is a bit of a surprise. People like Mario Kart, that is no doubt, but it has even managed to push away all of 2014's heavy hitters to be MFgamers' statistically most liked game. Mario Kart 8 is a wonderful entry to a long running series where, in this edition, the popular party atmosphere is more successfully married with tighter steering mechanics and brilliantly gauged track design, as well as some wisely picked choices for the retro tracks.

Something I've found with a lot of recent Nintendo games is they really are getting good at expressing a very Nintendo personality that no-one quite expects, and Mario Kart 8 has it. It is present in the Luigi Death Stare meme. Who knew that a little attention to detail would come to something like that.

Well done Mario Kart 8. I can safely say you're the best.

#2: Dark Souls II

DarkSouls2-1.png

Another surprise! The Souls games are beloved by many for their intricate combat mechanics that make fight a strange puzzle to be solved, as well as requiring a good sense of space and reflexes. Or you could figure out how to break the game. All is encouraged in the Souls games. It's ruthless, and you are allowed to be as ruthless. On top of that you have a thick, dark and Marmite-y atmosphere that plays up to the survival-like gameplay to create a complete whole of despair and hopelessness. Dark Souls II is hard times, but you've got the tools; you've got they key; and they key is you and your skill, dexterity and your mind. Not many other games require that of you and it's a game that is satisfying to give to. When you give, you are satisfied. Dark Souls II proves that.

That is why Dark Souls II is here.

#3: Destiny

destiny1.jpg

This one isn't as much as a surprise considering the amount of conversation going around regarding this game. It's a AAA game, from Activision and Bungie, so a lot is on it. Does it meet standards of the greater public or larger gamer culture? I don't think it does. It doesn't meet potential. It doesn't meet the expectations lavished upon it; but I like to think that when you're face to face with a thing you can appreciate what a game does do. And what Destiny does do is offer one of the most perfect combat cycles for a shooter: level design that matches so perfectly and naturally with the player mechanics. That jump. And a surprisingly great competitive multiplayer mode: a simple one on the surface, but opens up when you're mind turns to the character skills: it's Mario Kart, but with more options, for better (or in this case) for worse.

Multiplayer Game of the Year

#1: Destiny

destiny-ps3-header.jpg

Oh, you again? Weren't you just here? Again, a game with tight shooting and enough randomness to keep you on your toes in the competitive realm. But maybe we can talk about the Raids for this part, especially since that is what the unique experience is in Destiny's multiplayer. Destiny's Raids are a wonderful and thing. Sure, they've existed for a while, but doing so in the FPS format has brought this formula to a new set of mechanics and a different way of dealing with them... and they really, really work. They are, arguably, the best part of the game. But, I think, the reason the game is here is that you can just hang out in it. You can do trivial stuff while you just chat, and the game is also rugged enough to offer up some of the harshest team driven experiences around. Credit has to be given, and that is why Destiny is MFGamer's number one multiplayer game.

#2: Mario Kart 8

MK8_201402_02.jpg

You again! I have to say something about you, again?

You're not the best multiplayer game, Mario Kart. I think illdog's horrible experiences had some kind of knock on effect, somewhere, and cause everyone who voted to shove it down lower than other games. We did feel for ill in the MFGamers; he had such a bad time losing all the time.

But despite that it is still here. Mario Kart 8's finely tuned formula is still as satisfying now as it always was, with a basic but workmanlike online mode and local multiplayer mode... maybe it could of got higher with a good battle mode?

#3: Titanfall

Titanfall_screenshot.jpg

Titanfall! From the original creators of Call of Duty. Call of Duty! One of the biggest things ever! They made another game. They made a game that took the perfected and tight-knit shooting and powered it up with powerful mechs, and also took that same gameplay to the air with the Pilot's on foot and jetpack mechanics. It's a game that takes one of the most successful multiplayer action games and adds a ridiculous amount of new options for anyone playing it to really, really kick some serious arse.

MFGamers' Best game in 2014 not released in 2014

BioShock Infinite / Borderlands 2

bioshock-infinite-328083.jpg2436786-borderlands+2_headhunter+5_envir

So here we have a draw. Last years winner, BioShock Infinite, is still here. It engulfed us last year and continues to engulf us this year. Ken Levine's magnus opus draws us all in again with a story of fatherhood, classism, organised religion and another place of rapture; all rolled into another story includes a lighthouse, a man and a city. A game with a multitude of concepts to connect to will always fly high. Plus, you can shoot a murder of crows from your hand and ride sky rails in a swashbuckling style-ee. Let's see if it's here next year.

And we also have Borderlands 2. A humorous adventure set in a post-apocalyptic world full of colourful and violent characters and a preposterous amount of weapons to set you on your way. The weapons are the stars of the show which allow you to plough through the game in a variety of ways with a silly amount of modifiers.

So we-re still discovering the story of Borderlands even now, a story about what would happen if pop culture and internet memes destroyed the world, which will definitely happen. It's a real future.

Oh, and, again, no-one won the hidden gems category. We're just too unique, like snowflakes. We're gaming snowflakes when it comes to the weird stuff. We should celebrate that. Fuck yeah for games that we like that no-ones else does!

So that is it. That's the results xx

having a top 3 means it's amazingly unlikely anything unusual will get in - but then i don't disagree with just having a top 3 because there aren't enough of us voting, stuff further down would have hardly any people voting for it i'd guess.