passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Ori and the Blind Forest

spatular

Finished it earlier, 100% all the areas, which I didn’t do last time - I’m pretty sure it originally locked you out of some areas. Not much to add really, same as above, really enjoyed it, and think it’s better than number 2 other than the first hour was a bit boring and the save system can be annoying, oh and the time trials in number 2 are good to be fair.

Yeah, the original locked you out of the areas with the chase sections and when you finished the game you couldn’t go back and 100% you were just locked out.

In the Definitive Edition they changed these things, but also added some brand new areas and put in new powers as well. Although off the top I can’t remember what areas or powers they are. 

• 8 months later...

Just escaped the jinsu tree. Tried and died about 10 times I think, but in my own defence I very rarely play 2d platformers. Only Shantae, really. And those games are not really in the same difficulty league as this sumbitch. 

Just got my an achievement called 'halfway there.' So if that's the halfway point difficulty I mightn't see this out. My thumb is throbbing like a bastard ?.

Stupid tree.

Had a major session on this tonight. My hands are killing me, so I probably overdid it. I reckon I'll be able to finish it. Sure, there's plenty of deaths going on, but I can usually figure out what to do and pull off the moves pretty easily. I wish they hadn't used those enemies that chuck out exploding globules of pink slime so much. They seem to hold up the flow of movement, although I learned a bit late in the game that you can use them to boost jump (which is one of my favourite parts of the game).

Just hit a part where the controls get inverted. I feckin' hate it when games do that. 

Anyway, I'll probably be just doing short sessions on this now that Cyberpunk is nearly out. Will be for the best, really, as it's very intense in the gameplay. Almost every section is like the final level in other metroidvanias I've played.

• 1 month later...

Grabbed an Xbox one and got back into this. I reckon I could have technically carried on (I was 52%), but didn't really know where I was or what I was trying to achieve storywise. So I started a new campaign. I must say I'm much better at the game this time around. I have 6 blue orbs before I've done the jinsu escape. I only had three on my old save, and I was miles the jinsu tree on that run

Fuck knows what I was doing. 

By the way, I seem to be able to access gamepass without actually having a current sub. It's weird, but I can even play the EA stuff. It's been days now. 

This lava world is definitely the toughest section of the game up to now. So many deaths! But I've cleared all the side rooms and now there appears to be a room below. Might leave it there for the day and play some Gears of war 2 for a bit of light relief!

Done.

I think I enjoyed about 90% of this game. Superb art direction and graphics and incredibly tight gameplay. A wonderful experience all in all, but it definitely walked the fine line between exhilaration and annoyance at times, with most of that annoying 10% coming in the final 'lava' level - the final escape sequence of which tested my patience a bit too much. I actually watched the end cut scene and credits distracted by a sense of

Irritation at the 'trial and error' nature of the game's set pieces.

Still, it's a minor complaint. Mostly I found the game to be a joy to play and look at. Will take a good few months before I'll feel the need to fire up the sequel, mind....