passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Ori and the Blind Forest

spatular

I’m not sure I understand what you mean

EDIT: I don’t 100% every game, not even close, but I really put in the effort in games I really like or games that are simply doable and easy enough. But there are a lot of games that are too hard for me (Sometimes skill, sometimes multiplayer dependant, sometimes requires friends to play with) and will rule me out of 100%. Or I just don’t like the game and won’t bother. Even still, for those games it still itches my OCD when I see the bars not at 100%.

But this isn’t recent. I’ve played games like this literally forever? Even if my gamer tag doesn’t reflect it. 

So for the 3rd time I am at the final level on One Life Mode. Stats

EOwWeCMWkAArDjD.jpg

I’ve now got 12hp (You start with 3), 9 energy orbs and maybe, crucially, I don’t know, the triple jump. This is why getting to the end has taken me nearly 2 hours this time because figuring out ways to get more skill points so I can have stronger attacks (I like stronger attacks) and the triple jump. Before it was just one or the other. 

I’m Just. So. Scared.

I know it goes against the point of the mode, but I wish I could back up the save. Whether it was to the cloud or something.

The way this level breaks down is there are 6 to 8 challenge rooms, then the lava stops and you do other stuff I can’t remember, and then a final chase section. On my first attempt I did challenge room 3 and on my way to the 4th I just went to bash off an enemy, somehow missed it, and Ori’s momentum picks up so fast after falling for a while that after I missed the bash the speed just sky rocketed and I slam dunked straight in to a lava pit. I can describe to you what happened, but honestly it was so fast I really don’t know what happened. 

The second time I got to challenge room 2 and there are these big rocks with spikes on that fall and I had got past it before, but the pressure was so high that when I got to it my mind just blanked on the strategy and I ate shit. 

I don’t know. Now I have a really decent save I think I will do another run on Normal and get to the same point, copy that save* to all the save files and just practice every bit of it over and over again until it all becomes second nature. It’s really not that difficult anymore getting here in roughly one go (Tonight I only quit out twice when I felt like it was going bad) but apart from that I just aced so much of it. It’s just these last couple of sections. Which on the one hand of course it should be like that because it’s the end of the game, but I wish I could just do this it is so scary!

*For anyone thinking “Why don’t you just copy your One Life Mode Save instead of Normal?”. On the file select screen you can copy and paste your saves across multiple files, except for One Life Mode saves where it just moves that save to another file instead. I know, I tried. 

• 1 month later...

Picked this up again last night after playing through the first 4 hours early last year (basically just after the Ginso Tree bit).

It's been a rough (re)start it's fair to say. I couldn't remember the controls at all - which obviously isn't too surprising - I didn't know where I was in the game or how everything worked so I was just going around dying a lot really. I didn't even remember the save system so I was going through collecting loads of stuff then dying and having to do it all again without realising you can - pretty much - save wherever you want and quite often as well.

As I played a bit more I soon picked up the controls and remembered how to do the jump air dash thing which is essential. There seems to be far more combat now than there was when I played it 2 years ago? But maybe that's just my poor memory. Anyhoo, the combat is definitely not great and the enemies are all really annoying little fuckers. The platforming is sublime but I kinda wish there were no enemies about so I could just enjoy myself. 

I had to look up where to go after I picked up the Stomp ability as I really had no clue whatsoever. I checked the map and there were loads of blacked out parts but I didn't know which of them would take me to my destination in Misty Woods so I looked it up and ended up doing the whole 'Valley of the Winds' bit and getting Kuro's Feather. 

Eventually made it to Misty Woods and now I have to light the path or something? So who knows. I've got a map fragment so hopefully I'll be able to put that somewhere and it'll show me the path forward - or I'll just look it up.

Combat is pretty bad but a good tip to make it completely easy is just get near an enemy and just keep spamming the laser and the stomp at the same time. The stop destroys any AoE mines near you and stuns/knock backs enemies while you can damage them with the laser. 

Also the environment is your friend. The fastest way to dispatch any bad guy is ‘bash’ them off a cliff or into spikes.

Finished this last night in about 13 hours, ended up 100 percentng it and finding all the collectibles. 

So yeah after @Maf's tip for the combat I just stomped on pretty much everything really and breezed through it. I'd been mainlining the game for most of my way through it and only begun to go back and explore once I got past the place where you release the Wind energy (Forlorn Ruins I think) so I was quite under-powered and didn't have much health, abilities or energy up to that point which probably didn't help. 

But yeah, I started exploring after the Wind place and I couldn't stop! With me once I start getting all the little bits and pieces it's difficult for me to leave any uncollected so I had to get them all, and when I was doing that I then realised I'd got 100% or near that in most areas so I then needed to make sure I got 100% in every area too. Neither of these were too difficult, I had to use a guide to get a few of the collectibles that were more hidden away and it was lucky I had loads of health upgrades to go back to the Ginso Tree because I had to make my way back to an area I don't think I was meant to go back to in order to pick up a final couple of bits to get that area to 100%. But yeah, I managed it quite easily and had a blast doing so. 

I think this is the first game like (Metroidvania) this I've actually finished. I adored Hollow Knight in the 10 or so hours I spent with it but bailed on it because it just seemed so long, big and overwhelming for me. Ori is such a neat, concise little package with a map that is far easier to navigate and it's relatively fast to complete but at no time did I feel like it outstayed its welcome or became a slog. It was pretty much the perfect length.

The story was surprisingly emotional in places, I remember tearing up at the beginning which is rather heartbreaking and at the end the way things played out but this was another thing I think the game gets spot on because it never feels like its intruding on the way it plays. It gives you just enough story to allow you relate to this world and know what's going on without feeling intrusive or annoying in any way.

The one weakness is the combat because it's merely serviceable but yeah I loved everything else about it and would definitely recommend it. Now to decide whether to dive straight into Ori 2 tonight or wait a few days. 

ESyL45AU4AEZjwD.jpg

Started this this afternoon on @DisturbedSwan 's recomendation. Yeah, i like it so far. only played the first hour or so 

Spoiler

I'm at the big spider web cocoon thing

I like the platforming, feels good. I've not had many issues with combat so far, but it is still early game. I've been fairly evenly distributing the upgrades so far. I can see me really enjoying this, it is the type of game I get quite in to. Oddly, the art style reminds me a bit of Yoku's Island Express.

Just started this tonight after the recommendations in the Will of the Wisps thread. OMG, why haven’t I played this sooner?! Absolutely loving it so far. Just had a right binge session on it and done the 1st tree. The opening was surprisingly emotional and it looks absolutely sublime! 

Love the bash ability, really nice use of simple but enjoyable platform puzzling from it. Feels great to play, looking forward to getting back into it. 

Combat hasn’t been a issue so far, although it’s not particularly great. Good enough though IMO. 

Glad people are finally getting to this game (Only took 5 years but better late than never!) it really is amazing and I always felt flew under the radar. The sequel has more than double the numbers of people watching it than Nioh 2 on Twitch. Ori’s time to shine!

How the fuck you did this with just 1 life I’ll never know! I’ve died loads, there seems to be a few pits you can easily fall in where you’re just fucked. Or those boulders that crush you if you’re not paying attention for a couple of seconds. Fair play. 

11 hours ago, Maf said:

Glad people are finally getting to this game (Only took 5 years but better late than never!) it really is amazing and I always felt flew under the radar. The sequel has more than double the numbers of people watching it than Nioh 2 on Twitch. Ori’s time to shine!

I bought it on Steam ages ago on PC but never got round to playing it. Started it in early 2019 at my ex's house when she was at work but never went back to it, so pleased I did recently! I think if it wasn't for the 2nd game coming out so soon it wouldn't of spurred me into getting back into it.

Also, Nioh 2 isn't out until tomorrow so that's probably why. But yeah, glad to see the sequels getting good numbers in regardless.

14 minutes ago, mfnick said:

How the fuck you did this with just 1 life I’ll never know! I’ve died loads, there seems to be a few pits you can easily fall in where you’re just fucked. Or those boulders that crush you if you’re not paying attention for a couple of seconds. Fair play. 

Haha, I was thinking this during my playthrough as well! I think I died at least 600 times, there does come a point about half way through the game where the enemies get easier to deal with - down to the upgrades you get - but it's still challenging with plenty of pitfalls and potential mistakes waiting to happen. I've honestly no idea how @Maf managed to make 0 mistakes throughout, pretty damn crazy.

You plan your route, you practice your route, you fail your route, you readjust your route, you complete your route.

Also you sweat a lot. 

And be awesome. Most important part. 

This is how you do it. 

Completed this now. I fucking loved it, so well designed, felt amazing running and jumping about and has a nicely dense but relatively compact map. Looked brilliant throughout too.

Had a bit of a wobble about 3/4 of the way through where it started to frustrate more than it was enjoyable but it soon passed. I just want to give a shout out to the abilities for collectibles too. I really appreciate games where you can have the collectibles show on the map near the end and tick them off. I’m far more likely to go for them this way, plus as the developers know we’re only going to have to look at a guide anyway, make it easier for us. I mention this so much here because I was enjoying the game so much I actually wanted to go and get them all before the end. 

I was consistently surprised by how touching and well done the story stuff was too. Animal stuff always gets me, far more than anything to do with actual people. Good lord it looked amazing throughout too. The background art is beautiful! Great game. 

9/10

started this again thinking i'd find it much easier this time having just finished number 2... no i got stuck loads in the first hour or so, just wandering around the same areas over and over not sure where to go, and wasn't really enjoying it, did find the combat a bit easier than i remember though. but it really picks up in the next hour, unlocked wall jump, double jump and dash - was really enjoying it again by the time i finished playing.