passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask

spatular

So i started this for at least the 3rd time recently - this time on the new 3DS version. previously i have played it on the N64 many years ago but did a massive sidequest that i couldn't finish because i didn't have the right masks, then gave up - sure i did the same thing both times i've tried to play it in the past. this time i'm not going to do the big sidequest and try and get at least one dungeon done.

first night playing i wanted to save - looked on the internet how to save and it sounded like it would take a while so i just turned it off - next night i get back to the same part and find a save point round the corner...so maybe that's a new 3DS feature, or i was reading a load of crap on the internet.

I've got to the start of the first dungeon now but not going to start it yet - unlocked the quick travel thing near it so i can go back at the start of a day and play the song that

slows down time

which i didn't know about when i've tried to play it in the past and is probably why i never got very far before.

for now i'm going to do some smaller side quests to get some more useful stuff before starting the dungeon - i've been looking at a guide a bit and doing some bits myself. maybe not the proper way to play the game but without a guide i think i'd give up pretty quick if i keep doing loads of stuff that was lost due to running out of time.

it's pretty good so far, the music is ace, 3d looks nice most of the time - some small bits have terrible ghosting mind.

anyone else playing it? first time or done it before?

Did the first dungeon yesterday, and today did some more side quests, picked up some more masks, and got to the start of the second dungeon. Still using a guide a lot, found the second dungeon mostly without though. There's some fun optional stuff in there like a race against a butler that I might have missed without the guide too, although I imagine it's less fun without a certain mask. The masks that transform link have quite disturbing mini cutscenes when you take them on/off which is cool at first but the time it takes starts to get annoying when you have to use them often. Most masks don't do that mind, although the ones that do are quite important ones so used quite a lot. There's also a bomb mask that makes you explode.

• 3 years later...

Quiet thread.

So I started this on a whim on 3DS thinking it'll possibly be one of those I drop off soon after but I've been playing it like a man possessed.  Must have run my battery down to empty like three times.

I think I've been hit by two things.  There are quality of life improvements that I don't remember the original N64 version having.  There are more save points and I don't think the schedule you can fill out was as robust as it is in this version so sidequests are easier to follow.  I've seen so much cool stuff I definitely didn't do on the original, although I do have big gaps in my memory because I didn't remember the whole entire first dungeon.

Anyway, I'm in this game's water temple now and enjoying it a lot more than I did originally.  I think I was forcing my way through it then.

I'd like to play it again, maybe on the Switch if Nintendo ever get around to it. I played it on the 3ds but it's the only Zelda that I've ever bought and traded in. It might be one of those games that leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth first time around.

I'm taking the old girl (N64) round to my bros tonight for some pre boxing shenanigans. Might whip out MM to have a blast.

Completed it a few times years ago. I do remember really enjoying it. The different theme to the norm gave it its own distinction when thinking back in Zelda's. 

I remember the Skull Kid weirding me out tho ?

GOD DAMN THIS SERIES AND ITS UNRELIABLE AUTO-JUMP!!

I threw a strop on this.  Did a  long, awkward part of a sort-of-dungeon but fell down and have to make my way round again because the boy decided not to jump at a totally doable jump.

I think I remember this part of the game, The Stone Temple and it's surrounding areas.  I wasn't a fan.