Sign in to follow this  
Sly Reflex

MH4U Online

Which weapon did you root for? Try to upgrade it at least once as the online is the 'real' difficulty. The caravan stuff is a walk in the park.

I've just been using the Long Sword. The only option to upgrade so far is to the Bone Sword. It's not much better. But I may have upgraded it more by tomorrow depending on what happens.

Make one. The way it works is that you have several upgrade paths. The Iron and Bone paths have the most branches and upgrading an existing weapon often takes out the rarest element in crafting. It works out cheaper to build up from the basic weapons because it's chewing through materials you're going to get just by playing. If you want to craft something further up the tree from scratch you're going to have to get some rare drops which might be better spent elsewhere. It's a good idea to try to build a wide variety of different weapons of your chosen profession no matter which class you play as because eventually you're going to come across something that is tougher to beat if you have a severe elemental weakness to it. This weakness can double up twofold if the monster you are hunting has an advantage over the armour you are wearing.

Right okay. Turns out I didn't know how to upgrade weapons but I figured it out after this post.

I've done all the Caravan stuff that I can now. Just so you know where I'm at. I beat a Great Jaggi, some big bug and I went to a new place on an 'expedition' where I beat some blue raptor. I have, mostly, full Alloy armour (apart from the grieves as RNG is refusing to give me good materials, now). I also have both Iron and Bone swords upgraded once but I don't know how to switch between the two. They just auto-equip when you upgrade them.

Can you just do an expedition on the first area? because I do just want to farm a few last materials but the only way I can get there is by taking on a mission.

I think I'm okay with the fights, I'm getting to grips with the combat now. It's still not the most ideal (that camera), but I'm managing better. It's mostly the systems and structure that still seem to be baffling. Like, I ended a mission and put the primary objectives in the box first and then I couldn't put in the secondary so didn't get my bonus, despite having the required items. Just daft.

From the top.

I assume you're talking about Ancestral Steppe? There's harvest missions for all the places, but they sort of unlock weirdly. Have a look in the Guild Hall which is where you walk to go out on missions, but to the left instead of right. You might be able to get a harvest there, or do a really easy mission that'll allow you to grab a few things while you do the objectives.

To switch between equipable items, go to your own house across from the Blacksmith. There's a chest in there that'll allow you to switch between stuff and all that other stuff. You can also change the trim colour of your armours, but that is linked into how well you do in the rest of the game, the better you fare the more colours open.

Don't wear armour pieces to a set you've not finished yet. A set provides several bonuses which is partly the reason to build them. I'm not saying never ever wear non matching sets, just that you should be looking to hit as many preferential skills as possible with items you are wearing. I can't remember if it's the leather set or the hunters set that has awesome skills on it for gathering materials. Everyone should have this set. It's shite for battling, but the skills on it are amazing for pottering about in.

Don't worry about the camera, it seems like a massive clusterfuck at first, but once you get a distance into it makes perfect sense as to why everything is like it is. You probably did get your bonus as all items marked with 'account' are stripped from you when you turn in and you are rewarded for them. It's an easy way to make money and resource points for little effort.

There's a lot to learn. You will all get there eventually.

Blakey is 2 quests away gaining a hunter rank. One is dead easy and the other is a cunt. I'm not looking forwards to the Pink Rathian.

Who is definitely on for Thursday session? How long are you going to play for? Should the more experienced of the players warn you about attacks or do you want to learn yourself? Should we give you a heads up on what consumables you will need to take? Stuff like that.

Not cool enough to finish Nerscylla off without sailing a bit close to the wind. I saw you were trying and ended it though, even captured it so you got all the carves. There were points where you were going to town on it, I thought you'd have done it without needing help. You deserved to pass, you spent the majority of the fight kicking fuck out of it.

Yeah, it was just doing too much damage and I was really short on healing items on that fight. I would have prepared for it better if I knew it was coming.

I couldn't buy healing items until after HR2.

A tip for you and Duck. The shop to the left of the quest givers sometimes has a sale. If you stand on the mat the music changes when there's a sale on. I bulk buy all my stuff from there when the sale is on. Alternatively you can go outside and find the fat lady who has a market (varies depending on location). Same deal with the music showing everything is half price. Each shop has it's own sale days so look at them both regularly. Once you get a bit of money under your belt lash out and buy 99 potions/antidotes/deodorant etc. It saves a lot of time making those things yourself and keeps lobbies rolling because we don't have to mess about waiting on people crafting essentials.

You'll need honey as well. Lots and lots of honey. If you ever see honey and it's safe to grab it, grab it. That shit is used in everything, you'' go through so much of it that I'd recommend having the Wycoon multiply it for you once you've unlocked him.

DC's into the big monsters now. Shockingly Blakey managed to wipe on a LR quest. I didn't think that would be possible.