passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Evolve

HandsomeDead

I'm still not sure of my overall thoughts on this game so I apologise in advance if I ramble.

I suppose I've not played it a whole lot still as The Hunters. You have four people, each with a role: you have Assault, he's your gun guy who's only job is to shoot the monster and does the most damage and he can lay mines. Most of my time playing as Hunters has been with this class (I did play once as a Trapper but didn't have a clue what I was doing). You also have Support and Medic classes (I've not even tried them yet).

You don't really pick your role, it's assigned to you and then you have to be that role. At this point a lot of people don't know what they're doing (I count myself in that group) so sometimes being on the Hunters team can be a really frustrating thing. Until the game has been out for a while and the community figure out how to play all the roles well then it will be more fun to fumble around with people you can communicate with. At least then you won't feel as bad when you do something dopey.

But playing as The Monster is the solo experience, and because of that is more fun moment to moment. Like I feel like tracking the Monster as Hunters isn't that fun, especially when you're still not 100% sure what you're looking for, which I think a lot of people are like now. But as The Monster it's simpler: you keep a low profile for a bit and eat wildlife so you can the evolve into a stronger version and that is more engaging during the downtime, rather than wandering around looking for signs to where The Monster is.

But I've been enjoying that side of it a lot. There was one game where a trapper must have got a glimpse of me and set down the barrier. The barrier is a large, well, barrier, that comes down and imprisons you with The Hunters which makes escape very hard, but I did manage it once, and it was tense stuff. I was still at the earliest stage of evolution so didn't want to take them on but I realised they didn't know exactly where I was. The barrier is quite big so when it came down the edges were right in front of me so I knew I maybe had a few seconds to hide and by keeping an eye on them (or a nose, the smell mechanic basically puts a yellow or red outline around people so you can see them through walls) I managed to stay out of sight the whole time, just moving a little out of view, and snuck out when the barrier timed out.

Sometimes the combat as a Monster isn't always that satisfying. It's a bit unwieldy and I'm sometimes not sure if I'm hitting someone but the range attacks mostly work well unless you get caught on something. You do have to be aware of whats around you and being a big, ugly shit that can be hard to do sometimes.

So, bottom line is it's sometimes really fun but relies too much on certain situations for fun to happen, like it's a game that has to be played to certain rules. I'd say the rules are a bit too specific, though.

That could change as the classes expand but they made the, frankly, stupid decision to lock other characters and monsters behind a progress system, because that's what all multiplayer games have to have now. Why they didn't just let you experiment with everything from the get go like they did with Left 4 Dead, God only knows.

Played about 4/5hrs with DC and Scowl tonight.

The first 6 or so matches we played was just me and DC and because I hadn't played before I decided to go the Assault first...we were atrocious! Didn't win a game.

But we noticed the other randoms in our team all thought they were assaults too and not playing their classes. So I decided to change to medic to see if me and DC could try and keep everyone alive and hopefully track the monster better. We still lost but they were getting closer..

About this time Scowl joins us and wants to play medic, so I jump back across to assault. The first few games we lose..

Then we have a game where everything just clicked. All the hunters are doing what they're suppose to be doing. We only lose a couple of games the rest of the night.

I don't think this is a pick up and play kinda of shooter at all. If the hunters aren't looking after each other and playing their class roles you're going to lose pretty quickly (it feels like an tense MMO raid in that sense) But when you do take down a monster especially a level 3 it's SUPER satisfying.

The left 4 dead style character dialogue made the party laugh a good few times too.

I had a great time with it. I'm not sure how it'll be with all randoms and I've yet to play as the monster but so far so good. :)

Yeah, the last half of that session was brilliant. Like I said in the OP I've just been playing assault but last night I feel like I've got support locked down, at least Hank. Bucket seems like a really different character. I'll probably be trying trapper and medic next, especially since I unlocked all the assault characters last night (Hyde rules).

• 2 weeks later...

So an update on impressions.

I'd say Evolve is a pretty good game once you get in it's mentality. That seems like a stupid sentence reading it back but like i said in the OP the game is awesome when everyone is playing The Game; and more and more people are playing The Game so it's even pretty fun if you are on your lonesome.

But I feel not enough people are playing. The stats say the game did well sales-wise but we've struggled to find a monster in the big Evacuation mode which is weird as I suspect that there should be tons of loners wanting to do it as a monster. I guess matchmaking must be off when it comes to matching a full teams. I dunno, I'm just guessing, but we played a while and were put up against an AI opponent every time and that just isn't fun because the AI is AI as fuck and you can't have nearly as good as a time with it as you do with a person. The human psychology goes out of the window.

But I guess everyone just plays the one off Hunt mode, which is fine, but there is more up for grabs in the Evacuation mode so It would be nice if more people played it.

I think I might play monster in Evacuation mode... I've just unlocked the Wraith, and man is that monster good. It's broken I'd even say. It does have quite a bit less health and armour than the others but the mobility and distraction techniques you have make far too much up for it... so of course I will be taking my Wraith against the world in Evacuation mode.

Yeah I don't know what was happening with matchmaking last night. I'm guessing because it was evac it has to find a monster player at the same stage, so the player pool is tiny.

And yeah the AI is some Deep Blue level shit, it was even using that Wraith decoy thing pretty intelligently. We didn't stand a chance. :(

But I like this game a lot. The level design and characters are really good.

I've not had much luck with the Wraith as I initially thought. But my problem is I lose track of the last Hunter a lot so they hide and wait for the others to respawn. Or I forget just how useful Lazarus's revive ability is and find myself against a full team when I thought there was only a couple left, and that's bad news for the Wraith since your health is so low. You really have to strike quick and efficiently and I don't always have that down at the moment.

And at this point the people playing it are pretty good at the game. there is definitely a noticeable difference in player skill. I see them splitting up more. I see if there is a loner it's usually the assault who can take some damage due to the shield ability and the cavalry comes later.

But in the Wraith's defense it is definitely the best to play as in rescue. You're fast and can usually beat the Hunters to the targets, and Decoy is so useful for that mode. I've only lost once using Wraith, but you gotta be brave... don't be scared about getting stuck in at level one.

Now I've never actually won an Evacuation match with a Monster... yet... but I'm pretty sure the Kraken is the key for the final Defense match. I've got close (took out two generators) and I think it's a case of letting the minions do their thing and just staying back with ranged attacks and keeping out of sight. Staying airborn helps a bit. But it's still a really hard mode for the Monster to win.

• 2 weeks later...

Next wave of characters revealed

Evolve is getting some major paid DLC expansions on 31st March that will add a fourth playable monster along with a new team of four hunters.

The Monster Expansion Pack, which some folks will get for free as a pre-order bonus, will go for £11.99 and lets players take the role of the long-teased Behemoth. This colossal creature can roll up into a destructive boulder and roll around the map.

The new hunters will be £6.19 each or £19.99 for the full pack of four in the Evolve Hunting Season Pass. The new characters include: Torvald, a "half-human walking tank" with a mortar cannon for an arm; Crow, a Trapper with a pet Batray that scouts out monsters along with a Stasis Gun that slows them down; Slim, a genetically modified combat Medic whose Leach Gun saps the health from monsters while his healing drones distribute that HP goodness to his teammates; and Sunny, a support character with a mininuke grenade launcher and the ability to bolster her squad's jetpack boosts. Further details on each new hunter can be found on Turtle Rock's latest blog post.

Another free feature coming on 31st March is Observer Mode, which allows a sixth player to join a game, provided all they do is watch. This spectator can switch to the point of view of any of the other five players and has access to an informational HUD detailing the match's progress. It's basically for streaming then.

As previously reported, two free new maps will be added to the Xbox One version of Evolve on 31st March. PS4 and PC players will receive these on 30th April.

That's a hefty price tag for the Hunters. I think I'll hold out for a discount, it's not like I've mastered the on-disc cast.

I like the look of the new hunters.

Being able to shoot through armour with Crow is going mix it up with low health monsters. Will be nice having some new VO too.

I'll probably wait for a discount before picking it as well.