passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

PS4 Hard Drive upgrade

Bigkopman

I upgraded my PS4 HDD a few months ago to 2TB. I bought a Seagate/Samsung from Argos for about sixty quid, put the old PS4 HDD in its enclosure and I now have a spare 500GB USB portable drive.

So easy to do. It's a pain having to transfer each save individually, though.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I backed them up just to be extra safe, but ended up grabbing them from the cloud afterwards.

Do you have a spare external hard drive? The process has been made really simple now if you do.

It's still an easy process, just the downloading all the games and updates after takes time. I set everything going and then put the PS4 into rest mode overnight. Also, copying/downloading each save individually is a bit annoying. All worth it in the end, though!

I'm just about to go out and pick up the stuff now.

I've got the drive to pick up (same one you linked to) and a 32 gig flash drive.

Would I be able to move some of the smaller installs across using the flash drive or is it still a case of re-downloading everything?

Ed! Have I bought the wrong thing?

The drive you linked to is encased in plastic with what looks like a mini USB socket. Am I meant to rip it out of the plastic or is this just the wrong drive?

Also it dawned on me that I'm gonna lose PT.

You rip it out, carefully, then remove any screws, rubber nubs and USB mount from the back. You can put the PS4 hard drive back in there when you're done and use it as a 500GB portable drive.

• 1 year later...

In the process of doing this at the moment with the drive that I bought from Ed. So far so good, although I didn't bother to back anything up because I'm a rakish mother fucker. Don't all my saves go to the cloud anyway? I think pretty much the only thing on there was Pinball high scores and some Track Mania times...

I figure, seen as I'm away all next week, might as well leave it in stand by and pull back down all the games and updates and stuff.

Annnnnnd done. All the installs are currently trickling down my internet pipe as I type this. Managed to get all my saves back as well. Pretty painless really. Unlike Hendo I managed to keep this original drive enclosure in a fit state so popped the old PS4 HDD back in there and made it into a 500 GB portable hard drive. What was confusing is that the computer doesn't initially recognise it. Had to go into disk management and manually erase all the PS4 partitions and format the drive to get it working.