Sign in to follow this  
Bigkopman

PS4 Hard Drive upgrade

I upgraded my PS4 HDD a few months ago to 2TB. I bought a Seagate/Samsung from Argos for about sixty quid, put the old PS4 HDD in its enclosure and I now have a spare 500GB USB portable drive.

So easy to do. It's a pain having to transfer each save individually, though.

What's the process for this like?

I need to upgrade, proper run out of space.

I can't do that. I need to have everything I own available to play at a moment's notice. That and I am fully digital on PS4 currently, no discs whatsoever.

I'll have to do this at some point. Deleting things is a good idea in theory. But I do that already. Pretty much every fucking game is 35/40gb. 4 of those, and your seemingly big hard drive is pretty fucked.

If it's a stand alone game on PS4 then it's no fuss, it's when the game has 15 gigs of dlc that needs downloading everytime you want to install the thing.

It's also an exception to the rule (being the only game so far that I've played that needs to actually install)... Most games are playable after about 10 seconds on disc.

Borderlands has an update of 8gb. Yeah,that helps. I'll give it a little longer,but sooner or later ill totally need an upgrade.

Gonna start this today.

Did anyone who did this backup their saves to the USB stick or just rely on the cloud saves?

I backed them up just to be extra safe, but ended up grabbing them from the cloud afterwards.

Do you have a spare external hard drive? The process has been made really simple now if you do.

No I had a couple of external ones I used to use purely to hold music files but they both broke so I gave up on external storage.

It's still an easy process, just the downloading all the games and updates after takes time. I set everything going and then put the PS4 into rest mode overnight. Also, copying/downloading each save individually is a bit annoying. All worth it in the end, though!

I'm just about to go out and pick up the stuff now.

I've got the drive to pick up (same one you linked to) and a 32 gig flash drive.

Would I be able to move some of the smaller installs across using the flash drive or is it still a case of re-downloading everything?

I think the only things you can back up to a flash drive are the saves. This may have changed now you can copy the entire storage to an external drive, though.

Instructions for installing the firmware, plus the firmware itself, at the bottom of this page: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/#newinstallation

Ed! Have I bought the wrong thing?

The drive you linked to is encased in plastic with what looks like a mini USB socket. Am I meant to rip it out of the plastic or is this just the wrong drive?

Also it dawned on me that I'm gonna lose PT.

You rip it out, carefully, then remove any screws, rubber nubs and USB mount from the back. You can put the PS4 hard drive back in there when you're done and use it as a 500GB portable drive.

Yep just done that, perhaps not all that carefully though.

Ah well, it'll still work as a back up drive for some stuff.