passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

MFG's Games of 2014 vote thread.

HandsomeDead

Okay,this is how I'm gonna do it.

First off I want your 10 favourite games that were released in 2014 in the order of bestest to not as best. I will then apply 10 points to first, 9 to second etc and I will make a top three and give the winning games a bronze, silver or gold GotY.

Since MFG's origin is in organising multiplayer sessions we have to have a multiplayer category. Same as above; just give your 10 favourites if you can and I'll make a top three. Online and local both count. You guys know the score.

Next one is a little more complicated.

We're all not playing every new thing and we play things late. I think it was Sly that suggested this so let's try it. What is your favorite game you played in 2014 that wasn't released in 2014... That you haven't played before!

This can be from any time, even retro games. I'm even gonna count games from things like GOG and the Virtual Console. Remasters, on the other hand, don't. No Last of Us Remastered here, that belongs in the 2014 list.

I'll just have 5 of these, max. I don't know how this'll turn out but hey.

I'd also like to keep the hidden gems award, or something like it. It doesn't always work out but if you could also give five games you think we're overlooked and deserve a shout that came out in 2014. They may not be great games but they might be worthy of something.

that's what I've put together. Obviously, suggestions are welcome.

i'll just put this here for a start to get things rolling (subject to change).

Goty:

1. crimzon clover world ignition

2. Destiny

3. TitanFall

4. Driveclub

5. mario kart 8

6. super time force

7. velocity 2x

8. sunset overdrive

9. forza horizon 2

10. trials fusion

Multiplayer:

1. Destiny

2. TitanFall

3. mario kart 8

from previous years:

1. Assetto Corsa

2. tomb raider (the recent one)

3. stealth bastard

4. rocksmith 2014

5. Friday Monsters

(i've played shiki loads before but only managed to complete it this year so not sure if that counts?)

overlooked stuff:

1. crimzon clover world ignition

2. super time force

3. theatrhythm 2

4. a city sleeps

5. danganronpa

other stuff that was good and missed out:

captain toad

thief 4

geometry wars 3

beyonetta 2

also forza would probably be higher had i played it more, same for beyonetta - so i'll try and get that stuff played in jan. and if halo collection had worked...

edit - for the multiplayer section does online leaderboards count?

you're right to DC. I've even been in the room with him as he's completed the game before. Granted my cat shield was doing all the work to get us there but it's been completed

on that note, and not meaning to be dour, I think the old game category is pointless. You might get a couple of overlaps, but there's not enough of us, bearing in mind you're allowing the entirety of gaming history, but I suspect it's going to end up with a lot of games with 1 vote

i usually only count shmups as completed if i've 1cc'd them on my own. so to me, this year is the first time i've completed it. but yeah i don't mind removing it.

Well whether you completed it or not is unimportant to the vote. Just so you've played it enough to realise you really like it, and if you've come to that conclusion prior to 2014 then I'd rather you pick something else. But that's for you to decide, really.

on that note, and not meaning to be dour, I think the old game category is pointless. You might get a couple of overlaps, but there's not enough of us, bearing in mind you're allowing the entirety of gaming history, but I suspect it's going to end up with a lot of games with 1 vote

Last year's 'best game of 2012 that we played in 2013' actually went pretty well. It certainly had a few runners, and to be honest I suspect this year's award to be mostly made up of things from 2013 we missed until this year. And that's fine.

But I guess I just wanted to open it up a little more. Occasionally things turn up like Earthbound, that was released in Europe for the first time and maybe someone would like to include it... Maybe me, but I've not played it enough yet. But that's just an example.

But you're right, it may not go well this time but sometimes you gotta just throw the cards up and see how they land.

Right, here goes then...

Top 10 of 2014, from "fucking brilliant, to pretty good":

1. South Park: The Stick Of Truth

2. Dark Souls 2

3. Bayonetta 2

4. Velocity 2X

5. Rogue Legacy

6.LOTR Shadow Of Modor

7.Diablo 3-PS4

8.Tales From The Borderlands:Episode 1

9.Plants VS Zombies Garden Warfare

10.Game Of Thrones:Episode 1.

Multiplayer is a tough one, as I've not done

much. But...

1.Far Cry 4

2.Grand Theft Auto V PS4

3.Call Of Duty Advanced Warfare

4.Diablo 3-PS4

5.Destiny

I'll have to think about that "not released in 2014,but first time" one. Off the top of my head I can't think of any.

Hidden gems.Hmm. Well Rogue Legacy is fan-fucking-tastic. The Abe's Odessy remaster is good but overpriced.

Thinking about it I've realised I've played very little this year, but he's what I've got for now:

GotY 2014

1: Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

2: Destiny

3: Mario Kart 8

4: Luftrausers

5: Bayonetta 2

6: Persona 4 Arena Ultimax

7: Shovel Knight

8: Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

9: Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition

10: Ultra Street Fighter IV

Multiplayer

1: Destiny

2: Mario Kart 8

3: Ultra Street Fighter IV

4:

5:

6:

7:

8:

9:

10:

Games not from 2014 discovered in 2014

1: New Super Mario Bros. U

2: Persona 4 Arena

3: Bit Trip Presents... Runner 2

4: SteamWorld Dig.

5: Nier

Hidden Gems of 2014

1: The Legend of Korra

2: Woah Dave!

3: Hohokum

4: Pix the Cat

5:

That's all I can think of now. Bet you guys weren't expecting 2nd place for Destiny! but I'll go into why one day.

I don't do multiplayer much, anyway. It's always a short list from me.

And everything thing I've played this year hasn't been very hidden so I'm struggling with that one, too. The fall of the 'B game' is really felt this year. I'll see what you guys put.

Was about to say the same as above, im not sure I picked up 10 new games last year, oops, here goes:

1. Mario Kart 8

2. Forza Horizon 2

3. COD: AW - Campaign Mode

4. South Park SOT

5. Donkey Kong - Tropical Freeze

6. Wolfenstein New Order

7. Halo Complete Collection

8. Plants vs Zombies

9. Simpsons Tapped out - IPhone

10. Fifa 15

Games not from 2014 - had to look on raptr as had no idea what games I played last year,,

Bioshock Infinite

Zelda: Wind Waker - I had forgotten about this!

Hidden Gems?

Guessing Nintendo Pocket Football (was this last year??)

I really didn't play much last year and struggled with this list, I think my handhelds suffered this year as very little out for them, or I didn't buy much for them. Im pretty sure I didn't buy a 3ds game all year last year and PS Vita, I remember i got the Rachet and Clank trilogy but not sure I picked up much else.

I did play a fair chunk of Bio Shock Infinite before the xbox was relegated to the retro box.