passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Game Of Thrones-Telltale

AndyKurosaki

Very much impressed with Telltales output these days. Walking Dead is brilliant. As is The Wolf Among Us. So being a massive GOT fan, I was well up for this. And Episode 1 is a very good start indeed.

Pretty important to state though that the opening section has a massive spoiler if you're not caught up to the events of the start of Series 4/Book 3. So be aware of that. It's the tried-and-tested Telltale format, which I'm perfectly happy with. You play as the Forrester family, and interact with a few of the series main fore-runners. After his frankly god-awful role as Ghost in Destiny, Peter Dinklige is back on form

here as Tyrion.

5 more episodes to go, but this is a promising start.

Hendo has it spot on. It's basically "point and click" but stripped down. By that, I mean you never find yourself carrying items thinking "where does this go to solve a puzzle?". You're in an area, talk to people, and make dialogue choices that effect what happens next.

There's occasional QTE's that involve pushing directions/buttons or you die.

As for the dialogue choices, as with all of Telltales output, you only get a few seconds to decide what you want to say. It puts you on the spot, and it's pretty effective. A decision you make could have instant ramifications, or it could make something happen later on. I'd say it's 80% dialogue and 20% action.

Dangerman is right to say their games can be a bit buggy sometimes. Had one in the first episode of Series 2 of The Walking Dead. I was sneaking round a house, only to find a room with 2 people in it. I avoided that room and looked eleswhere, only to hit a dead end. Then I discovered that the 2 people were not in the room at all. They had glitches into it, I walked straight through them.

This episode worked fine for me though.

Personally I really enjoy the Telltale style, and

they've done a great job with the GOT liscence.As I mention earlier though, there's a major spoiler at the start of this episode. With most of Telltales output, you can play them without knowing the source material.Walking Dead is a brand new,unrelated to the comics or TV show. Wolf Among Us I loved, despite never reading the comic is based on.

But this is certainly not the place to start for GOT newbies.

• 7 months later...
Finished off Ep. 5 (A Nest of Vipers) yesterday evening, was pretty damn good, a slow start but definitely escalated and things got damn good I thought.

Here's my choices:

8RDehiy.jpg

Found it weird it didn't give me a "next time on Game of Thrones..." video at the end as usual though I must say.

• 3 months later...

It's been a long time since I've been genuinely angry at a game, but Telltale's Game of Thrones really is bad. The plot is strained with the many facets of it being completely pointless, the decisions are utter rubbish and are just generally nonsense and despite having excellent voice acting the script is irredeemably awful for the most part. Plus 3/4 of the game has you controlling flat uninteresting characters with even worse deuteragonists.

I can't believe they pissed this up against the wall, it should have been amazing.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Started this properly earlier, still on the first episode. It’s a bit dull so far.

The cameos from the well known characters are  well done and the likeness is spot on, with the exception of Ramsay who looks like Ramsay if he had got stung on the face by a load of bees.

2 hours ago, Hendo said:

Started this properly earlier, still on the first episode. It’s a bit dull so far.

The cameos from the well known characters are  well done and the likeness is spot on, with the exception of Ramsay who looks like Ramsay if he had got stung on the face by a load of bees.

Well, since it's Ramsay it's probably some weird S&M thing.....

To be honest, this turned out to be the worst of Telltales output. The reason being, the relentless misery.

Sure, GOT isn’t sunshine and rainbows. Bad things happen to good people. But in this, it was constant. And by the conclusion, I felt like I had achieved absolutely nothing. 

If I was told I had to play this, or sit in a room in complete silence for the same amount of time it'd take to complete this game, I'd choose the silence option. Without a doubt one of the worst story based games I've experienced. Telltale should be thoroughly ashamed that they created this. It was beyond lazy and I think partly a reason to why they ended up folding.

I honestly have no idea who they screwed this up, but managed to take Borderlands and make it work. If anything it's Tales from the Borderlands that should have been tepid spunk.

9 hours ago, Sly Reflex said:

I honestly have no idea who they screwed this up, but managed to take Borderlands and make it work.

Probably the difference between having very little creative freedom versus having a lot of it.

I'm pretty sure the marketing team was delighted when they could say that Cersei, Tyrion, John Snow & Co. were part of Telltale's series but it put shackles on the developers. Personally I think the story arc with the two mercenaries fighting in the arena and so on was the best part of that game and coincidentally that was the only part that was completely detached from the plotline of the TV show.

With Borderlands it seems like they had almost complete freedom. "Guys, we'd like you to put Handsome Jack in there a bit. And use a cel-shaded visual style. Now do your thing."

Borderlands was definitely one of the best things Telltale did, knocked it out of the park.

They really got this wrong. A perfect example being how Danerys makes a promise to help you, then breaks character by refusing to keep that promise.