passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Duck

• 1 year later...

Loaded up (for the second time) Halo CE. I struggled with this when I tried it last year. I couldn't get to grips with it. I think it was that first ground mission where you have to find three crash locations to save the marines. That fucking stupid car was wrecking my head. 

This time I took my time, got to know the weapons and what the game expects of you in terms of strafing and taking cover. I also persevered with the motor, and was quite the jockey by the time I'd cleared the initial mission and moved on to the second act. Yeah, quite enjoying it. I was rather miffed when I got my Xbox last year and couldn't get into this as Sci-fi is a big thing for me, and this is possibly the biggest sci-fi franchise in gaming. 

Hopefully in a week or 2 I'll be a halo bore, and be annoying everyone with my knowledge of the lore.

The Needler only works if you stick enough needles in the enemy and then they blow up. It’s good for Elites but it takes quite a few.

The Magnum is the pistol you’ve probably already used it. Got a scope on it so basically a sniper as well.

Plasma Pistol is great because it takes shields away and homes in a little bit. Having one + the Magnum or, well any gun really but Magnum is best, to drop shields, switch weapons straight away and finish them is the best combo.

In fact all the guns in Halo are good and have their purpose except for the assault rifle which, is not useless, it holds a lot of ammo and got a real satisfying brrr to it. But it’s kind of weak. 

The shotgun is also fantastic love the Halo shotgun

Had a mammoth session on this tonight. I'm up to 'Assault on the control room' if that rings a bell for any Halo fans. 

There's been a few sticky moments in the game - the rescue of the captain on the alien ship for one, where there were some open rooms with enemies on all sides, and no button to run away (my oft used 'Sir Robin' technique). Got thru it in the end, and learned a few lessons about how to deal with multiple enemies in this game. I also learned that this game has friendly fire. I shot the captain in the back of the head with a charged plasma bolt and ended the mission 😄

The thing that amazes me is how often I feel completely lost, but then somehow end up where I'm supposed to be. Strange that.

I also tried Maf's combo. Not really necessary on normal difficulty. Maybe on higher diffs it conserves ammo in the plasma gun, but on normal there's feckin loads of them just lying around - so I just charge up to kill the shield, then finish them off while they're still wondering what happened with the same gun.

20 hours ago, bellow said:

I'm up to 'Assault on the control room' if that rings a bell for any Halo fans. 

You do know that pretty much every level of Halo 1 is cemented in gaming history as a standard of excellence? There's people that could name all the levels and chapters in those levels.

I know nothing about Halo, to be honest, beyond it being revered by shooter fans. Having got this far in a game this old I can certainly see how it came to hold its reputation.

I was actually taking for granted the smoothness of what I was experiencing - the shooting, jumping into the warthog, jumping out, jumping onto the rear gun, grabbing one of those alien hovercraft, jousting with the flying covenant - the seemless continuity and the ease of handling. I thought it was very accomplished and well thought out - and then it occurred to me that this is game from antiquity (ok, that's pushing it, but still😄).

It feels too modern, too smooth, and must have been a revelation back in the day.

As for Assault on the control room, a quick gander below will reveal that said room has, indeed, been infiltrated. And not without a great deal of effort on my part. Feck me, that was a long ass mission, with multiple environments and literally the destruction of hundreds, if not thousands, of sentient beings.

Sod 'em.😄

74f9c8bb-3815-4939-8102-2fc4d399e453.png

I didn’t like Halo the first time I played it (Although to be fair the first time I played it was 10 minutes at a demo stand, and the first Halo game I played proper was Halo 2 when I got an Xbox) so to me it was more confusion than a revelation, and then Halo 2…I like it more now but it’s the worst game to start with. I remember playing through it because it came with the Xbox and was just like Ok. What was that. 

It wasn’t until playing Halo 3 that I got it and started to love the series. Going back and playing Halo 1 after cemented that. Halo 1 is so good.

I think playing Halo 3 before Halo 1 was actually the right way to go for me. It’s simpler, more straight forward, cooler weapons, story is better told. Not being in to FPS games at the time of the Xbox and how different Halo was from something like Goldeneye or Turok I think it wouldn’t have landed for me. Sort of building up to it and coming back around worked much better and actually cemented it as one of my favourite games ever. Took a bit more experience at FPS games and understanding what Halo was about before I got it though

I won't have time to at them all before infinite comes out, so I'll have to find a story synopsis somewhere as I want to play it when everyone else is having a go. I'm aware that the first 3 games are a complete trilogy, so it's not too bad when I go back.

Might be able to squeeze in Reach, although you have to pay for that as Microsoft is claiming it's DLC. Corporate bastards 😃.