passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Duck

if you're playing on anything other than easy, it becomes really important to switch between energy weapons to take off shields, then bullets to take people down.

Also rockets are best held onto for taking out crowds or big fellas.

It's also very much worth hunting down the messages, once you get past a certain point, you unlock weapons bunkers dotted all around the map, great for stocking up on grenades/weapons and a vehicle to cut about the map

Halo, Reach and ODST all give you a different perspective on the war with the Covenant and how each unit deals with the conflict.

Halo is about an individual who is constantly lucking out despite the situation he's found himself in, a perfect storm of being in the right place at the right time to counter a threat. He's seen as a deity whenever he stumbles across human soldiers bcause Spartans are so rare now and any presence of them is sure to change the battles they currently face. You walk through your enemies to certain victory.

Reach shows you the other side of the coin. Despite being the best of the best and having whole fireteams at your disposal, you're going to lose. It's all about doing the best you can before your Spartan goes 'MIA', despite causing what appear to be massive damages to the Covenant you're really doing nothing at all. The horrific losses can be weighed up against retrieving the AI that goes on to partner with the one Spartan that does go on to win against the Covenant. You walk through your enemies to certain defeat.

ODST's are essentially paratroopers. They drop them into shitty situations, you get to feel what it's like to fight as one of the guys Master Chief sometimes run into. They're only proficient in groups and kind of useless on their own. They don't have the ability, strength or stamina of a Spartan and to some extent they're basically expendable, little more than well trained soldiers against enemies that outclass them in every department. Whereas Spartans would wade through mountains of Covenant in the blink of an eye, the ODST's are lucky to survive any encounters due to the juxtaposition between them and the enemy they face. Every encounter can and will turn to shit if you don't look lively. It's much more oppressive and tense knowing that even the smallest mistake will fuck you up. That adds to the sense of being alone and isolated wandering about New Mombassa, when you're roaming the streets trying to avoid or tackle conflict when it's in your best interest. The open ended nature of that means sneaking about as much as you want is a viable thing to do. There's times you're going to have to fight, but the way you conduct that is like a guerilla warfare. Hit and run, picking off enemies here and there when you're able to to gain the upperhand. You pick the best course of action to claim victory, but that victory is walking a tightrope on a windy day.

Going back to Master Chief, he couldn't do what he does in those games without the action of the other two, if it Wasn't for Noble One giving him his AI or ODST setting up the defection of the Engineers, then things would have gone south for him and no amount of luck or ingenuity would have seen him through Halo 3.

Yeah, the mechanics are from that era. It feels weird going back to games with no sprint or iron sights. Objectively later games are going to feel nicer because they've included all the things we've learnt over the duration of making those types of games. Stuff like non regenerating health is one of the other things that grinds my gears. It has its place in certain circumstances, but for most games it's totally unnecessary.

I finished ODST for the third time in my life Thursday just gone. I just love it, yea it doesnt have 'run' and some other bells and whistles that the other games have got but god damn does it have character. I've got the jones to play Reach again now, i'd welcome that in to this collection with open arms.

• 1 month later...

That's Halo: CE down. I think it's aged reasonably well for the most, the most noticeable thing is it's slow paced. In today's games you can barely see what the fuck is going on sometimes. Here you can watch a chain reaction happen from one end of a corridor to the other and follow what's going on precisely it's going so pedestrian. I seem to remember it being quite complicated back then considering but it's not often I lost my bearings or got completely lost. The AI is still impressive for some parts as well, especially some of the Elites actions. It surprises me that we don't see more of that type of thing, I must have played scores of shooters but none of them have the engaging AI that Halo has. Maybe that's possibly why Halo has aged so well, because you're not just on a duck shoot where mowing down guys is the order of the day.

• 1 year later...

So, a little late to the Halo party, but I've finally started this after picking it up back in February! I've done the first 5 missions of Halo: CE today, occasionally swapping between remastered and original graphics to see how far it's come along.

First impressions, it's more fun than I was expecting. I had a brief go on Halo 2 YEARS ago but it never quite tickled me at the time. The needler is fantastic, and the plasma rifle is pretty good too, I really like the secondary fire on the pistol. The score is great. It's not just generic sci fi music, a la Mass Effect (sorry Mass Effect, but your music was generic). It's an actual score. And the first level I really noticed it and it really impressed me was 4, something to do with the Control Room... I've had my fill of it for today, but yeah, as a technical Halo virgin, I'm quite impressed.

And its prompted a conversation between me and one of my mates, he played it when it first came out and prefers the original graphics, where I prefer the remastered look. Although he did admit it may be nostalgia that he prefers the original look. What do people here think?

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to update on this one. I got to the last level and gave up. I hate the last level.

I'm stuck on a dining hall of some sort, with grenade spewing armoured elites and a ton of grunts, and shit weaponry backing me up. I'm still angry over it 10 days later.

Stupid shitty game.

8 hours ago, regemond said:

Forgot to update on this one. I got to the last level and gave up. I hate the last level.

I'm stuck on a dining hall of some sort, with grenade spewing armoured elites and a ton of grunts, and shit weaponry backing me up. I'm still angry over it 10 days later.

Stupid shitty game.

Pussy.

No arguments here. But after 15+ attempts and getting my ass handed to me every single time, I'm more than happy to take the title of pussy on this one.

I just don't have the necessary skills to beat it. I need a needler. Dont have a god damn needler.

6 hours ago, regemond said:

No arguments here. But after 15+ attempts and getting my ass handed to me every single time, I'm more than happy to take the title of pussy on this one.

I just don't have the necessary skills to beat it. I need a needler. Dont have a god damn needler.

Jks Regie, just jks made of lulz. The original Halo can be a bit of a cunt. You can always restart the level and make sure you prepared for this fight next time round? It would be a shame to get this far and not beat it...

I did think of restarting the level, but I'd feel a bit like I was cheating! Suppose it's better than the alternative and never finishing it though.

I wouldn't mind but the room I'm in, there's two health packs dotted about. I picked up the first straight away then ended up taking a bit of damage and picked up the second by mistake, so I don't even have them as backup.

I'll go back to it and get it finished at some point. I'm just being a brat right now. I'll show you who's a pussy!