passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Halo: The Master Chief Collection

Duck

It's broken. Haha.

Well, the matchmaking is. Only played a wee bit of Halo 2A (I'm gonna wait to play it with you guys) but it looks good especially the redone cutscenes. New Warthog/gungoose sounds sound strange though.

Not sure what else I can say till matchmaking is fixed. Um...The new Halo channel is slick. Just away to watch the first ep of Nightfall now.

Out of interest is anyone getting this that hasn't played them before?

I think the main thing for me with this collection is that I'm going to finish Halo 2 on legendary. By the time I got around to doing it the first time around most of my gamer mates had gone their own way on LIVE. I tried it with various people at the time but it was just stupidly hard with people that weren't dedicated gamers. I'm kind of hoping that time has made me a better player seeing as I managed every Halo after Halo 2 on legendary alone. Hopefully better skills will see me through, or having someone there that can provide enough support to get us through the worst areas if my skills are not enough.

I've played about a half hour of 2 on heroic and its a lot harder than I remember. But I've loaded them all up just to see what they look like. 4 looks really nice.

Matchmaking is hilariously broken. Takes fooooorever. Sets up with odd teams and puts players with guests on opposite teams. :(

Watched the first episode of Nightfall. It's didn't feel Halo'y at all and was quite boring. Second episode looks much better.

Halo 2 is hard as fuck, some of the deaths I had on that game were bulshit. One death came from where you had to get across a holobridge, I got stickied by a grunt from a good 200 meters away, the amount of times either I or my partner got stickied (lol?) like this were uncountable. The accuracy they throw them with is insane.. Numerous times I saw my co-op buddy peek their head out and get killed in one hit from a sniper. Halo 2 doesn't fuck about.

Initial impressions after 30 minutes wandering around the first level.

The graphics aren't very good. Obviously they're better than the original game, but they look kind of poor to me.

The animations are kind of wack, modelling has come a hell of a long way since CE originally came out and it shows. The cut scenes look in particular awkward. They don't flow very well.

The weapons feel really odd, I have a really weird feeling of disconnect between the pad and the controls.

Frame rate is lovely, feels smooth and buttery.

The nostalgia, it's funny how you can play a game years and years after you last played it and know the layout of the enemies and stuff.

The music. Oh god the music. It's scored perfectly.

So yeah, the closest I can really get at explaining what this is like for me is that it's like when an old game comes out of the steam tombola and I'm running it at max everything and getting insane framerates, but it feels archaic in design because it's from so long ago that developers have a better understanding of how to make stuff has grown and flourished over the last decade.

If you were coming into the series new, I'm guessing this wouldn't be impressive at all. It may have set the precedent then, but now it feels a bit lightweight. I'd go as far as saying it feels kind of pedestrian after all these years.

On a sidenote, they've not included the bloody rose in the emblems either. At least they had the decency to add the numbers and the spartan helmet in this time. Close to 200 emblems and nearly all of them are shit. 343 pls! :fist:

took ages to get the update/install, just had a quick go of the first level on halo 3, looks nice and runs smooth, feels a bit strange coming from destiny, and im pressing all the wrong buttons! then had a look at the cut scenes at the start of halo 2, and now stuck searching for a game in multiplayer.

edit - had a quick look round some of the remastered maps - looks nice - can't wait to get some multiplayer games going :D

oh yeah the new warthog noise is odd.

Did Halo and Truth and Reconciliation tonight. Blazed through them like no ones business. I am playing on normal because I know I'm going to end up doing them on legendary at some point (probably with Nag, unless someone else wants to offer to team up) so I'm more of a tourist than anything.

I'm in mixed minds about it. CE, that is, I've not played any other parts yet.

Part of me thinks it's pretty fucking lazy. It's like for like apart from the graphics which vary wildly depending on the locales. There's not really any fluidity in between the playable parts, the bits where you have to press on something and then the cinematics parts. It feels very disjointed when you've done what you thought you were meant to do and then you end up walking around trying to hit some invisible trigger to fire the game into action. The AI that once felt revolutionary feels like whack a mole, I mean it still juts and jaunts from side to side but there's very little here to surprise or wrongfoot you.

Part of me really enjoys what I'm playing. The flow of combat feels frenetic and the level design is made perfectly for that guerilla warfare style of being gung ho and hit and run. The AI might be shit by todays standards, but it fits perfectly in the ebb and flow, the resolution and FPS making it really easy on the eye as it washes over you. It's as basic as it gets for this type of game now, so many games have use CE as a template for their games that it's kind of nice to go back and see where it started.

Something that I've always liked about the Halo is how diverse the voices are in them. When I got my initial Warthog one of the guys that got in it had a South African accent, normally I'd have gotten out and cleared most of the levels on foot, but because I had something I'd never really seen before in a game I stayed in that Warthog for every moment I could so I could listen to this guy smack talk the Covenant.

One of the other things I've noticed about CE is that those vast sprawling levels I remembered are nothing like that at all. It's like going to a relatives house you've not seen since you were a kid and realising that their garden and house are really tiny. It surprised me how small the first Halo level was.

Also as a footnote, the only thing they've added outside of the graphical update is that they've added a par time and a par score on each level. It's hard to tell how tight those par scores are, but the par times are ridiculous. Could you finish Truth and Reconciliation in less than 20 minutes? I'm sure it's possible but you'd be properly speed running that shit to get done within the allotted time.

the main thing i wanted to do was play some multiplayer but matchmaking isn't working properly, apparently you can get a game but i haven't witnessed such an event.

apparently custom games work ok.

oh and had a quick go at the start of halo 2 legendary coop, it was difficult, and i got a little bit of lag.

Halo:CE anniversay editon was a hot mess.

The graphics were nice, but the nice graphics and the extra cutscenes were a lovely addition to the franchise, but the whole game just felt hollow.

If someone re-made mario from the NES but with added cutscenes and super-high res graphics, it would have the same effect. Nice that someone went to the effort to do that, but man alive, why bother? just go play the original if you're in need of a dose of nostalgia.

Halo CE's extra cutscenes were just in the terminals were they not? Which were hidden away. But I'm up a for Mario Bros remake with HD graphics and cutscenes , maybe just edit in bits from the Hopkins movie? Haha.

The only major problem I had with CE:A was that they made the decision to put the multiplayer in the Reach engine. No one wanted that lol. I just wanted a chance to play CE's online on consoles for the first time. Which you can in MCC. :)

Sly! As I said I'm up for legendaying them all especially 2 but I'm still too busy to have any lengthy game time at the moment. Looking at probably next weekend. I'd be down for streaming it too. :)

I'm thinking the warthog sound might be a bug as it seems to be playing 2 sounds when the engine is going. Could be wrong.

Haven't played today but the matchmaking was still slow yesterday.

oh i actually got a game of multiplayer!!!!!!! it was halo 1 btb ctf, i shot some dudes with our flag out of a warthog, we captured their flag twice like bosses, the banshee was really hard to kill and the warthog gun was useless - it was pretty cool though till i got booted half way through :( then i went to play a different game.

wouldn't have happened on bungie's watch...
Considering all the shit that's been going down recently with servers and what not, it's crazy how smooth their launch for Destiny was.

They released a patch to fix a bunch of stuff today. And so far matchmaking for me has gone from waiting a million years then getting an game with uneven teams to thankfully only waiting a hundred years.,to get a game with uneven teams. Progress guys! had a few big glitches in matches too with grenade lags and re spawn counters getting stuck :(

It'll get fixed eventually but it's been such a fuck up by Microsoft/343. Not sure why it wasnt delayed. Halo's rep was already on a rocky road after 4.

A new 500mb patch went live today with a post from one of the main 343 folk saying there's more updates to come.

Tried one game of multiplayer on the Halo2 Anni maps. Got matchmade in a laggy 3v4, so yeah maybe next patch...

• 2 weeks later...

another 500mb patch the other day, although i didn't try the last one so maybe it's the same one...unclear.

anyway, yeah still broken here, but again getting better, couldn't get a game at first, then got two that both kicked us out right at the start, then had 3 that worked with no lag or anything, then had a game that booted us out half way through, then a laggy one to finish on. the games that worked were pretty ace mind. also i'm rusty and pressing the wrong buttons.