passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Overwatch

radiofloyd

UPDATE 07/11/2014 7.56pm: Blizzard has announced a team-based first-person multiplayer shooter called Overwatch, its first new franchise in 17 years.

Launching its beta in 2015, Overwatch looks a bit like Blizzard's more sci-fi/fantasy-inspired take on Team Fortress 2 with two teams of six duking it out.

Blizzard described the game's premise with the following passage: "In a time of global crisis, an international task force of soldiers, scientists, adventurers, and oddities known as Overwatch had come together to restore peace to a war-torn world. After many years, the group's influence waned, and it was eventually disbanded. Overwatch might be gone now . . . but the world still needs heroes."

Overwatch lets players play as a diverse cast of characters including an armoured gorilla, a spiky-haired teleporting British lass, a wall-climbing ninja, a cybernetic angel, a viking mechanic, a lithe grappling hook-wielding goth girl, a futuristic grim reaper and more.

Environments run the gamut from ancient Egyption palaces, to Japanese lotus gardens and pagodas, to 1930s-inspired English alleyways and cities.

See it in action in its gameplay reveal below.

"Overwatch is our take on a vibrant, near-future universe with amped-up characters and action-packed team-based gameplay," said Blizzard CEO and co-founder Mike Morhaime. "With every new Blizzard game, we look at our favourite aspects of a genre and put our own spin on things. Our goal with Overwatch is to create an awesome FPS experience that's more accessible to a much wider audience while delivering the action and depth that shooter fans love."

For more on Overwatch, Blizzard issued the following descriptions of four of its playable characters:

• Tracer, a former British test pilot who shrugs at danger, can execute impossible acrobatic assaults thanks to her ability to teleport, drop energy bombs, and even reverse time.
  • Reinhardt, a hulking German soldier in battle armor, can charge great distances and pin his enemies to a wall or slam the ground with his rocket hammer to knock them off their feet.
  • Hanzo, a bow-wielding Japanese mercenary, has the ability to scale walls with his bare hands, fire off a tracking device that illuminates nearby enemies for his team, and unleash a huge spirit dragon that does grievous damage to all enemies in its path.
  • Symmetra, an Indian architech, manipulates light and energy to shield her allies and damage her enemies-and she can turn the tide of any battle by building a device that instantly transports her teammates to the front lines.

UPDATE 07/11/2014 9.30pm: Overwatch beta sign-ups are now live on its official site.

The beta is due in 2015 and signing up doesn't necessarily mean you'll be selected, but you might as well try.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-07-blizzard-reveals-overwatch-a-team-based-competitive-first-person-shooter

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As soon as I saw this announced last year I knew this would be coming to consoles, so it's no surprise, looks an incredible shooter, wish I had the chance to give it a go, but didn't get a beta code.

Surprised to hear Battleborn get delayed though, but I guess Gearbox don't want it to coincide with Overwatch, the two seem very similar on the face of it, I had the chance to play Battleborn a few days ago and it seemed like it was quite polished and almost ready to go to me, the two are incredibly similar though on the face of it, so I can see why Gearbox want to avoid a clash.

I'm not sure delaying your game to come out round about the same time as a similar one is the best idea. Especially when it's a Blizzard one.

Battleborn looks alright, but Overwatch looks on another level to that.

Those character designs are immense. Hopefully some of the PS4 lot here pick it up.

Yeah I agree, didn't realise Battleborn had got delayed into the same window as Overwatch in my previous post, initially thought 2k had delayed Battleborn to avoid it clashing with Overwatch, guess that wasn't a strategic move them from 2K but a needed delay then, Battleborn will indeed get pwned by Overwatch if the two release in the same time period that's for sure, and Overwatch looks so much better and more appealing to me as well.

• 3 months later...

Out 24th May for PC/PS4/XboxOne

Open Beta from May 5-9 on PC and consoles. All heroes and maps will be available. Pre-order by April 29th for 2 days early access for you and a friend.

Super excited for this. I hope some of you lot are getting it.

• 2 weeks later...

They released the first short for this today..

I think their plan is to release these sort of things pretty regularly for Overwatch. I love Blizzard's universes, so I'm excited to see more.

That short wasn't their best. But they're still miiiiiles ahead than anyone else doing 'FMV' in their games.

• 4 weeks later...

This game has totally passed me by.  But I've seen bits of it lately and I think it does look cool, and I think I'm up for something like this so I did a search to see if anyone else was interested in it.  Seems like there is.

Is it a case of pre-ordering for a beta code?

'Cause Team Fortress is a terrible game..;)

The maps seem to have a lot of verticality to them too so I don't see it being a problem. 

Ive seen videos saying that it plays abit slower on consoles. Which on paper sound a worry, but will probably be totally fine. Will find out in the beta I guess. 

How can you not be excited for a new Blizzard game especially a charcter based one. 

They released a new short which is very good..