passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sunset Overdrive

illdog

I went to play Batman the other night but there was a 1.6GB patch. While it was downloading I decided to give Sunset Overdrive a whirl after picking it up at a bargain price a little while ago. Wow! I haven't played anything since. So much fun, and now I've unlocked the dash move it's even better.

Graphically it is pretty much perfect, so vibrant. I've not had a duff mission yet, it's all just geared towards having a whole lot of fun. Great exclusive, and Insomniac's beat game to date.

Cheers Batman.

• 3 years later...

This was one of the games I never got round to playing when I had my Xbox and always wanted to at some point. With tons of free time this week with the Missus at work and her having an Xbox it’s given me plenty of time to get stuck in.

I’ve only put around 12 hours or so into so I doubt I’ll finish it before I fly back to the UK but I’ve been enjoying it so far.

Initially I wasn’t really too keen, the side missions and most of the story quests - especially early on - are pretty bad and I’ve still no idea what the story is about other than meeting different groups of people.

The traversal has been the standout by far and has been what’s kept me going throughout, it is just rather special. Immediately it reminded me of Tony Hawks with the way you can grind on everything and string a run together but as the game has gone on and I’ve unlocked the air dash - which is a huge help for keeping a run going - it has felt a bit more Crackdown.

The guns have been cool too, initially I wasn’t that jazzed but Insomniac’s weapon pedigree has shone through and all the combinations you can do like freezing a load of enemies then taking out the magnum and shooting them all or putting down an acid spitter and toy copter and letting all the enemies run into it has been great. 

The art design has been a breath of fresh air, in an era still mostly dominated by grey/brown/khaki coloured open worlds Sunset City really shines. Everything looks fantastic and each area feels lived in, distinct and memorable.

One thing that has definitely not landed for me though has been the humour - or lack thereof - none of it has made me laugh at all and it all comes across as majorly cringeworthy unfortunately. I do appreciate what they were going for in a way but it just wasn’t fully fleshed out or realised in my view. 

The side quests, humour and story quests aren’t great and massively let the game down overall but with the inventiveness of the traversal and weapons the game still manages to shine.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I started playing this with the £1 first month of Game Pass for PC. It's perfect for that (although the Windows 10 store is still a rubbish experience).

I'm enjoying it a lot right now. It's some light, brightly coloured, arcadey fun. It's got a bunch of open world trappings, I hope it doesn't get drawn out too long.