passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Fable Legends

Uncle Dokuro

• 6 months later...

I had a couple of quick go's on the beta this weekend, it started Friday and I think it finishes tonight.

It was a big download for my shitty connection, took the best part of 24 hours to download so that was a day instantly taken out of the play time. It's fucking slow to load, took a good 6 or 7 minutes to get playing. I started with the default character, some broad that throws apples. You start in a town square that acts as a pre-game lobby. You can run around the fountain centre piece but even though there are little cbbled paths that lead to big wooden doors you cant even get near them, you just hit an invisible wall.

Anyways, in this little lobby you can change your character, read about the specific character powers and other minor gameplay mechanics. Once you select the 'Quick Play' option from the menu the game matchmakes while you wait, then it takes 3 or 4 minutes and a couple of random screen before it dumps you in a forest glade in front of a blue portal that you cant yet access. Then the game drops another three players in with you, the portal vanishes and your off, pretty much left to figure out what the fuck is going on and how to utilise your characters powers.

You have to rescue villagers that are tied to a post somewhere in the forest, marked by a white arrow. You have a time limit to get to them, at the end of time limit they die. You fight creatures on the way and you have to kill all the creatures to move on to the next area. The next area has exatly the same objective, just two villagers to rescue and you have access to an 'ability' which is a special move.

Once you have resued all the villagers and by this time you will ahve unlock three abilities assigned to the X, Y and B buttons you take on The Villain. I dont really know what this entails other than fighting alot of enemies because Ive played twice and the whole group has died here twice.

The default character felt extremely underpowered to me so I'm guessing, as a magic user, she becomes more of a badass as she gets stronger. I couldnt work out how to use her ablitly properly, I did it once and it was awesome, fire raining down to pound the ground around you but I couldnt work out how to do it again when I was under pressure. Otherwise she throws red or green apples. Awesome.

Second time i played I picked a guy called Malice, an undead suit of armour with a glow in his midrift. He was a bit more powerful with his mace but the enemies are tough. I could block with his shield and later I could have minions following me about plus I could use an ability that swarmed around me, buffeting the enemies with magic.

The handling was excellent, the character movement was fluid but there just wasnt enough variation to make the time I spent with the beta too interesting. I am looking forward to the game and Ive got an understanding of the basic action and I'm looking forward to seeing how they will build on what I've experienced but the lack of overall excitement isnt worth the loading times so I'm done for now. Defininately will be playing this when it comes out though, it is free after all.

• 10 months later...

Typical, everything I touch turns to shit. I mean they put some serious work in to that beta, it must have had 20 updates. Admittedly it wasnt brilliant but I definitely wanted to sink my teeth in to the finished product afer putting in a few hours to said beta.

My fault entirely.

that's a shame for Lionhead, they've been around years and Fable 2 was fantastic

Yeah, I was a bit young for the Bullfrog days but the original Black and White and Fable 2 were two of my favourite games.