passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Styx: Master of Shadows

Uncle Dokuro

Just dove into to the start of the game tonight. It’s really good if you like hardcore stealth games like the old Hitman or Thief games. The download is around 6 or 8GB if I remember correctly and the game was developed using Unreal tech and it shows for the most part.

The characters are nicely designed, but are slightly on the plastic action figures side of things. Styx animations are very well done. He moves with weight throughout the world and walks like a goblin should. The Humans and elves on the other hand are very stiff and robotic-like when walking. The environments are very well design.

I’m not far in the game, but it seems that the humans and the elves have some sort of alliance and Styx has lost most of his memories. The only thing he can remember is that he needs to get to the center of the world tree where amber is made.

Styx is pretty puny compare to all the other character’s in the game, so it’s not advised to go into hand to hand combat because you’ll die pretty quickly. In most cases they will kill you in one or two hits. Stealth is mandatory and there are multiple paths to get to your objectives. There is a very well done quick save system in place in case you die.

So far it’s a solid old school stealth game.

Because you posted the thread for some reason I thought it was some obscure PC game. Haha! :P But i was browsing the PS4 marketplace earlier and seen it on there.

There were only a few screenshots but I really liked the character designs too. I'll probably pick this up at some point.

:lol: I do play a lot of obscure games. Yeah, it's on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC for thirty bucks. If you like unforgiving hardcore stealth games then I would recommend giving it a go.

Styx does a better job at wall climbing and jumping from ledge to ledge then any of the protagonists from the Assassin's Creed games.

Yeah you can puke in the guards fruit bowl or water bucket to off them with out being detected - It's good fun. You can also toss guards and day laborers off the side of the tower.

Wall climbing and parkour is the best way to move around if you can't put out the torches or to flank a guard. You can also unlatch cargo from pulleys and watch it crush the guard below.

Maybe my expectations are too high for new generation and I really love Styx - it's a fantastic game. But Cyanide and Home Interactive need work on a patch for the Xbox One version to improve the camera from spazzing out when you enter combat and your right up against a object or wall. And also to smooth out some of the niggles in the cutscenes.

They're not as bad as some of the issues that have plagued some new-gen games - Assassins Creed: Black Flag is the most notable, but I still like to see them fixed. Again maybe my expectations are too high when it comes to this new generation.

Posted up two upload studios videos on my feed (It should show up on Sly, Nags and Spatular's feeds too) of Styx in action if anyone is interested in taking a gander. One is a quick :55 sec video and the other is a just under 5:00 minutes.

I've been noticing that the Xbox One Game DVR has slight lag issues with syncing the auto track with the video. I think I might drop Phil Spencer and Xbox a tweet about that. See if they can get a fix in.

Because you posted the thread for some reason I thought it was some obscure PC game. Haha! :P But i was browsing the PS4 marketplace earlier and seen it on there.

I actually thought it was a new album by a rather obscure eighties rock band of the name Styx.

Styx_2.jpg

I just had a quick look at their discography, and they never had an album called Master of Shadows. :P