passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Freedom Planet

DANGERMAN

I got sent a code for this but I'd have bought it myself eventually. It's a retro inspired game, only in a novel twist it's inspired by the Sega side of the fence rather than Nintendo.

Thematically it's Sonic 3, the way the scenery smashes apart, the huge sprawling levels, the way everything looks. It's deceptive though as while it really does play like a reimagined 16 bit game, particularly one post Sonic 3, it doesn't play that much like a Sonic game.

You dont bounce on people's heads, instead there's uppercuts, low kicks, and special whirlwind jump attacks. It's a hyper action game. Sonic crossed with Knuckles I guess.

There's a few problems but I'll do a longer post some other time. It's fucking great though, one of the best 'retro' games I've played, but it is a little rough in parts

I bought this about two weeks ago on Steam due to some of the reviews on it's Steam page mentioning the Sega Saturn a few times. I'll buy anything that mentions Sega Saturn.

I've only gotten around to playing an hour or so of it. I do like the combat a lot and I do think Freedom Planet is a slightly better game than Sonic the Hedgehog. The Praying Mantis boss can properly fuck off. That dude is a dick. It took me around ten times to beat him.

Yeah some of the bosses are a nightmare. I'm on one of the last levels fighting the boss and I'm dying constantly. I know how to do it, it's just actually doing it that's the problem. It actually highlights one of the problems I have with the game, the controls can be a bit floaty. That said I'm using a 360 pad, I'll try it with a Saturn pad tonight