passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Hyrule Warriors

Hendo

They are quite similar in a lot of ways but this (and I presume the other DW games) don't do the levelling up and new abilities as well.

There are new abilities and stuff but you don't see the difference as clearly as you do in Diablo.

This is brilliant stuff. Ive no idea why this game type appeals to me so much but despite its single midnedness as it were I cant get enough of it - once I turn it on that is, for some reason I have to force that decision. It's quite manic, constantly running between places and sorting out everybody elses mess.

Ive just had the time line split and had a massive scrap with a load of Gorons.

I only played Dynasty Warriors Next on the Vita but I pumped in 24 hours of mashing Square. If you don't like DW I cant see this changing your mind as the core mechanic is the same BUT... That Zelda lick of paint is just lovely.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be honest and say that if you find Dynasty Warriors boring, you won't like this. It literally just is DW, but with Zelda. There's some new mechanics, such as using classic Zelda Weapons in levels, and big boss fights. But the core gameplay is DW. So if you didn't like that, you're boned i'm afraid.

• 3 years later...

Started this a few nights ago and played it a bit on holiday here in Calpé as well.

This is my very first Musou game, so really I didn’t know what the hell to expect other than people that like the Musou saying this was one of the best Musou games to play.

All I’ve seen of this and other Musou games is some Chinese dude wailing on hundreds of identikit enemies at the same time. I’d always assume that that this would get boring after awhile so never really picked one up, looked cool for one or two levels but then the fun would peter out.

I assumed it would be the kind of game where it you could just whack on a podcast in the background and wail on some dudes without hardly looking at the screen but it hasn’t really been like that at all.

Just the opening level though I was a bit shocked. I just couldn’t believe the number of tutorials that came flying at me about making badges (skills) to make characters better at the bazaar, numerous different battlefield tactics, all the action buttons, character switching, character commands and all that jazz and I couldn’t really take it in, I was still running from mob to mob and wailing on dudes.

I was honestly shocked how tactical it is really, you’re constantly being drawn from one side of the battlefield to another dealing with some mission or side mission, then another spot will ping on your map and you’ll have to make it over there or command one of your allies to go and deal with it. Then a boss character can turn up and start destroying your keeps at random so you have to deal with them, it constantly keeps you involved in ththe action and constantly keeps you on your toes. In some ways it’s like playing an elaborate version of Battlefield/old Battlefront constantly running from bases/spawn points and trying to keep them in the blue for your side.

I definitely think all the Zelda connections have helped sustain my interest, the boss battles in particular feature some Zelda bosses and are really cool, likewise is controlling Zelda or Sheik for the first time and seeing them kick arse in a game. Linkle and Link are definitely the best two I’ve experienced so far.

I’m not very far in, still on the Prologue on the story mode and unlocked Linkle in the last mission, but you know what, I’m quite enjoying it, how long that’ll last I don’t know. But for now, it’s a nice change of pace from what I usually play and it keeps me invested with all the different stressful battlefield tactics it employs.

I've probably put in another 3-4 hours since my last post.

I really can't believe how much I'm enjoying it really. Musou games just always looked dumb for me but without much fun, but something about this is just resonating with me, it is dumb yes but it's just dumb fun.

The map management is still my favourite thing about it, along with the boss battles but there's something about the combat that is just inherently enjoyable, I find myself trying to attempt new combos with the various characters and pummel enemies that little bit more, when you hook up a combo and then hit the special afterwards it can feel DMC/Yakuza-esque levels of cool.

The Zelda theme definitely helps, I do get an extra kick out of going to famous settings from the series' history and having the familiarity with characters, bosses etc. helps too. I've even started to look into getting other Warriors games like DW8 XL, Warriors All Stars and Fire Emblem Warriors since I've been enjoying this so much. Something I really didn't expect I'd ever say.