passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Hyrule Warriors

Hendo

Only put 3 hours in so far, clearly there's far more to do, probably a ton of grinding.

I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game before but from the videos I've seen it looks pretty much the same.

What I didn't expect was having to manage the map constantly as different sections fall to the enemy and you have to decide whether to go to that section and help bring it back to friendly control or sack it off and do your main missions.

It is what I expected though from the mashing thing. You pretty much just mash the Y button with the occasional A to do your special move once it's charged up. Not sure how dull that will get over time but you are constantly upgrading your stats and getting stuff to upgrade weapons and items for in-between missions.

I've gone all in though and pre-purchased the DLC packs which release every month or so from next month.

So far a cautious thumbs up.

I've finished the prologue now which is 4 or 5 levels and then it splits into 3 paths, each one themed around a different Zelda game. I think it's Ocarina of Time, Skyward Sword and Majora's Mask, could be wrong about the last one though.

It has a lot of boobs. The fairies are now highly sexualised, I'd go as far to say "slutty".

It's enjoyable rubbish so far, the Zelda angle certainly helps, I've still got zero interest in playing one of these games.

They should release the first mission or two as a playable demo.

I was wrong before, it splits into Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. I think Majora's Mask is one of the DLC updates.

The second screen is a bit of a missed opportunity. You either play the whole thing off screen, or you play the game on the telly and the second screen is just mission dialogue. I would've expected (and preferred) at least the map on there.

I've just done the second level. I admire your indefatigably Hendo, it's Hussain-esque. I don't mind this kind of game, I liked Gundam 2 and Fist of the North Star, but I'm struggling to want to keep going after each level. Not in a 'never pick it up again' kind of a way, just in a "I should go for a walk or play something else" kind of a way, it's not a long stint game for me

Having played Smash Bros and not the actual game Sheik appears in, I knew who Sheik actually was. But how come it's meant to be a shock when this is fan service and therefore everyone playing should already know too?

Mind you, it is a bit like Superman wearing glasses and no-one puts two and two together.

@Ben - I am enjoying it but mostly it's the levelling up getting stronger bits that I'm enjoying. I replayed all the first few levels again and you can tell the difference. My characters are all like level 15 or something now.

It is total fan service, with Team Ninja approved boobs, but it's an enjoyable romp so far.

I certainly can't see why people buy every game of this type that comes out. Every few years or so, maybe once a generation to see the differences much clearer but not every 6 months or every year.

The other thing to note is the music. Sometimes it's proper Zelda majestic scores and sometimes it's really out of place jarring rock music that doesn't feel right at all.

Not that I'm an avid defender of the game but I watched Giant Bombs quick look, Dan said he's playing it for review, but he doesn't seem to know how to play it 'properly'. That sounds so dickish written down, but he's at the same point I am and wasn't using the countering system at all. To be fair to him he was playing on easy so he might just have not felt the need, but he wasn't giving the best demonstration of the game

Granted I don't love the game myself, and I can imagine having to force yourself to constantly play must be shite, more than one level is pushing it for me

There's a counter system?

I think I found out near the end that you could hold your shield to block, I never did, just ploughed through enemies, died a couple of times on bosses but nothing out of the ordinary. Normal for me, wasn't too tough.

To clear up the counter system. When you're fighting an enemy that has a name /energy bar (not the keep bosses or outpost guards) if you wait for them to attack, don't get hit by it, and a disc appears above them. Whittle down that disc and you perform a super attack on them

Ah right I did that but thought it was random.

I got the 8bit sword late on I think, maybe even after the game finished?

The best weapon in the game is actually a character. He's called Ganondorf and I defy not to shout, "bitchslap!" when using one of his special moves.

I finished this the other night. It's alright, actually that sounds a bit damning, it's fine, good even. The problem is its a lot of the same thing over and over. That thing isn't bad, but it does get a bit tiresome

I'm not completely against the idea of going back for dlc, but mainly because it would be a reason to go back rather than force myself to keep playing

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I started this the other day - fuck me the first level was hard! That giant Dodongo thing was a massive cunt, am I missing an easy wasy to refill magic? As thats the key to defeating him obviously, full magic and full special power bar then hack away at his weak point gauge then repeat. I mean I did it but fuck.

It's an awesome game so far, I think I love Dynasty Warriors.

Last night when I was playing Diablo, I thought "This is more or less the same principle as Dynasty Warriors, except I'm controlling from a different angle". It is when you think about it. You're controlling a powerful dude that cuts through hoards of trash guys to kill a hard target. I'm not alone thinking this? They're more or less the same concepts?

I should give one of those games a go. I'd probably love it.