passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Death of Xbox, Rebirth of Xbox

Uncle Dokuro

I know the title is a little over the top, but if I have learn anything from modern games journalist it’s that click bait works.

Now on to the topic at hand. Today on American business/wall street news channel CNBC they were discussing Microsoft and the Mojang merger. You can read about that here if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, the wall street insiders at CNBC are speculating this merger is the start of the spin-off of Xbox brand into it's own company. That Xbox is not core to Microsoft and that it beefing up the internal studios, so they can then spin it off to it own company - an Xbox Company.

You can watch the video here. I can't find a link to imbed the video.

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000309447&__source=yahoo|headline|quote|video|&par=yahoo

I find this interesting. I do think Xbox would be better off without having the Microsoft baggage, but at the same time the Xbox One is heavily tied into Microsoft services like Azure Cloud, OneDrive, Skype and the whole back end of the console. I'm not sure if they could easily cut ties with one another.

It also brings up the question of why they just did not spin-off the brand before the One was even announced. Give the One a slightly better chance with out the Microsoft baggage. They've been talking of spinning off the brand for over two years now. Spinning off the Xbox brand now (after the console is on the market) will only feeding the flames on Gematsu, N4G and other fanboyish sites and might hurt overall sales even more. Just my thoughts on the matter.

I think they'll do well without the Microsoft brand, but I think it can be easily spun the opposite way to what you're saying.

I've lost a LOT of faith in Xbox One from the time of the console announcement up until the recent option of a solus console, and it's mainly due to the fact that they keep going back on themselves. They could spin this in one of 2 positive ways.

A) We have branded Xbox into its own company so that we can really concentrate on what gamers what, and fulfill their needs.

2) Xbox has become so big and so successful that splitting it off from Microsoft as a whole will give us an even bigger step up to dominate the market.

Fair enough, it'll still be fanboy bait to signal the "death of Xbox", but I'd hope that most people could see through it and that it could possibly be a good thing, no second guessing from higher ups in Microsoft etc. I think now is also the best time to do it, to try and move away from the negative stigma they've received over the last 12-18 months or so.

Bill gates stated in the 90's he wanted a PC under everyone's tele, the Xbox in whatever guise is his dream. The next step would be Xbox office and the dreams complete. Xbox1 has too much ms software under the hood and is integral to the plan, maybe xbox2 could be standalone but the rebranding developers etc would be too costly.

Bill gates stated in the 90's he wanted a PC under everyone's tele, the Xbox in whatever guise is his dream. The next step would be Xbox office and the dreams complete. Xbox1 has too much ms software under the hood and is integral to the plan, maybe xbox2 could be standalone but the rebranding developers etc would be too costly.

Yeah, I can't see them gutting all the Microsoft software that makes up the frontend and backend of the Xbox One. On the cost part though I think Microsoft like Nintendo has enough in U.S. and overseas accounts to pretty much do what they like for the time being. It still knid of hard to swallow that they would spin-off the brand a year into the Xbox One being on the market.