passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

New Generation Issues

Bigkopman

Apologies if this has been covered before but it's been bugging me recently.

I'm quite late to online gaming as I worked abroad on cruise ships for 13 years. When I finally left sea I picked up a PS3.

It was the Killzone 2 Edition so got my real first taster of multiplayer madness, quickly followed by Borderlands and then for dessert-Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

This really opened up a new avenue of gaming for me and have lost count of many a good night with just these 3 games alone.

Then I pre-ordered Battlefield 3.

With Premium.

What a cluster fuck that was. Firstly, the squad chat didn't work and then joining with your mates in a squad was messed up and then too many other issues to list here. Those that have played it know what I'm on about.

After chatting with SlyReflex, I'm reliably informed the earlier PC versions of Battlefield where just as bad, if not worse.

Once BF3 was finally playable, it worked great (if a little creaky on the old PS3) and clearly was a taster for what would be possible on the Next Gen consoles.

How true this would be as Captain Naive here went and Pre-ordered BF4 Premium for the PS4, having rightly assumed that they would have learned from the last gen fiasco to then release as big a cluster fuck again than inviting Jimmy Saville, Stuart Hall and Rolf Harris to host Children in Need!

It's just under a year to the day that my PS4 arrived and then able to play BF4 on it as it's almost supposed to be, even though it still suffers from many glitches and basic game options not working properly.

So bringing me up to my actual point, and thanks for staying with me as I rambled, is that more and more games are now missing their release deadlines and are now looking to come out in 2015.

I wonder if the new consoles were released too early before the developers could have time to work out how to design on them?

Are games being rushed out by publishers to make the most money but being released in an unplayable state until they are patched many, many times.

The Sim City issue left many gamers unable to even play the game they had purchased.

I was so wound up, at one point, that I seriously considered contacting DICE/EA over the money I had invested in BF3/4 in buying the game at full price and the Premium costs and demand my money back or some form of compensation/offer to suppress my anger as a consumer.

If more and more games are being delayed then surely this is a good thing if it means the game is finally ready to be released than in an unfinished state.

We wouldn't have accepted this as console users with our earlier console games but PC gamers have been experiencing this for many a year and must now have a wry smile on their faces as we are now so reliant on patches.

All I see at the moment are more and more remakes from the last gen as 'New' releases and I've only got a few games that I count that I'm actually looking forward too.

Anyway, I had a good session on BF4 tonight so there is some hope I guess, so rant over.

Share your views please guys....

I've said a few times that 2014 has been a bad year, granted I've no interest in the Souls games. Next gen though, there's Titanfall, which seemed good from what I played, then there's Destiny, then not a lot else to get you excited.

Nintendo looked like they were going to have a good year, they got Donkey Kong and Mario Kart out, but then 3ds Smash got pushed back to near the WiiU one, there's still not a whole lot on Bayonetta, and the Toad game, which looked like a stop gap in the first place has been delayed.

It's bizarre that after the longest generation, one where everyone bar Sony seemed to run out of steam and need a change, no one was ready for the new consoles

I wouldn't say the issues you are having are solely exclusive to EA games but they are then ones that always have the most problems. Even Bad Company 2 wasn't the best at launch and they seem to be getting released in a progressively worse state with every iteration.

I've not played a Call of Duty game for a while but they do release in a decent state from what I can tell looking in. The Destiny beta was solid as a rock from my experience, though Halo games were always mostly solid on release as well so that's sort of to be expected.

I remember Gears 2 having a lot of problems but it sorted much quicker than any Battlefield game.

I played The Last of Us online quite a bit on PS3 and it was mostly solid with the kinks worked out soon after... Same with Mario Kart 8... Even Nintendo manage it!

We do live in the real world where unforeseeable stuff can happen, especially when it comes to games that centre themselves in the internet but EA and DICE have just been doing a straight up bad job with that stuff; it's one of the reasons for not buying BF4. I thought about picking it up recently since it's in a better state now (nearly a year after release) but I just don't care anymore.

Wanna subscribe to an online service run by EA? Nope!

EA certainly have pissed a lot of people off...don't get me started on microtransactions too!

I've just read on http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-04-if-early-access-comes-to-consoles-developers-respond about Early Access on consoles but this could make the situation even worse if not done right. BF4 certainly felt that way, even if it wasn't the intention but the Destiny Beta felt solid to me (now that the Ghost voice has been tweaked too) and I'm sure the feedback has been listened to by a company like Bungie. DICE still seem ignore so many faults still apparent in the game.

They apologised to the Public eventually and said that all work on other projects was on hold until BF was fixed then they announce Battlefield: Hardline not long after. Wankers.

The EA Access can certainly seem like a great deal to some and healthy competition to PS+, which has been truly a great service from Sony and superb value.

All I will say is driveclub, I wanted this at ps4 launch it was hyped massively then it got delayed. Every game is getting like this, you wait and wait and cba when it eventually comes out. Sums up my gaming I just can't find anything to get me excited enough to switch the laptop off, or tele off and play games. The ps4 is unused as I don't get multiplayer games I put this down to the fact I was at the cutting edge of tech anyone remember hacking college networks to play doom multiplayer? yep that was me (such a waste working for Tesco) I loved halo but after that my multiplayer bug went, partly due to it was nothing new but also I found out once I stopped playing gamers I knew it turned out I was a bit crap.

I hope Nintendo would bring something for me to play this year but that's looking less likely now.

Might of gone off topic, sorry!!

• 4 months later...

Two power trip outs in the last hour, think the iron is broke, anyway next gen consoles in the past wouldn't bother me but the tech in the xbox one and ps4 (luckily that was powered down don't use sleep mode) makes you panic a bit, remember a mate had an xbox at launch and broke it within a week due to a power surge. In the old days you wouldn't worry about the snes, n64, ps3 to some extent as soon as the power came back on without tripping I was there testing the consoles, all work, although the TiVo box is struggling to come back on.

For all intents and purposes, PSN is still down. Everything seemed to be working fine this afternoon when I was playing Destiny, but after going back nothing works aside from the signing into PSN. No servers are up or anything, so that's crap.I thought maybe I just got lucky with signing in because Duck and Bigkopman were having issues, but after signing in and out several times that process seems fine. That worked like normal.

I played some Diablo III and it told me that I needed PlayStation Plus to play online and sadly that PlayStation Plus wasn't available in my country. What?

Ugh. Mentioned Lizard Squad (no @ involved) in a tweet, and they favourited it. Searching for themselves on Twitter by name. :facepalm:

PSN is all working here now, including the store and What's New.

Edit: Ah it's not actual Lizard Squad, whoever that/they might be. Just a wannabe.