passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Year Walk

DANGERMAN

I suspect there's posts about Year Walk on the forum but there doesn't seem to be a thread. I've not quite finished it yet, looking at where I can potentially go there's not a lot left, not that it's impossible that a whole new area will open up, and there's still a box I have no idea what to do with.

For those that haven't played it, it's basically a point and click, but one that fairly quickly becomes bleak as fuck. You're not quite just switching between locations, you have to walk along until you get to the path to the next area, which is occasionally used quite well, in quite an ominous way, but when you're stuck, lost, or have to do some leg work to solve a puzzle, it gets tedious.

Which is where I'm at with it at the minute and why I'm writing this and not playing it. I've worked out what I need to do to solve a puzzle (in the graveyard for those that have played it) but it involves wandering around finding things that I've forgotten the location of, and I'll probably need to write the solutions down on something. So yeah, time for a coffee and a break before going and doing that.

It's good though, I love a good off-key dark fairytale, and that's kind of what this is. It does seem odd that it started out life as a phone game still

The developers are really good at pushing what's expected out of mobile games, Device 6 is really good too.

I keep meaning to go back to this, didn't get very far before I started feeling lost.

it certainly does some very interesting 4th wall stuff. Anyway, finished it now and loved it, I think you probably do need a pen and paper, or some other way to make notes, for certain parts of it but it's a cool little game

• 1 year later...

I started playing it this morning and made surprisingly good progress. I thought I'd be banging my head against the wall with it. And reading Ben's impressions I have got stuck at the exact same point. I have all the clues, I'm sure of it, but they aren't clicking together to form the solution I thought they would. I was hoping to do this in one sitting but this one has me stumped.

I'm sure I'll love it too when I figure out this puzzle, but for now, damn this game for making me feel a numpty.