passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The PS+ Backlog Thread

Hendo

Surprised to see some forums proper hate on Rogue Legacy. It's a far better game than Spelunky, in my opinion. In that, I died over and over again, never getting any better at it. If I was lucky I would reach the ice world. Eventually I just went "oh fuck this" and gave up on it.

With RL, I noticed myself improving at it gradually.Improving stats. Developing new characters. Recognizing enemy attack patterns. Each time I'd start stockpiling more gold. The bosses are pretty hard. But beating them felt very satisfying indeed.

Still, if you've played it, and not enjoyed it, fair does. At least you gave it a go. But those forums that play it, and say "it's shit", are in my opinion, fucking wankers.

I dunno, with Spelunky I've had runs where I've lost all but one of my hearts on the first few levels and still made it through to the temple. It feels like a much fairer challenge to me where just the standard guy with no items can get you through to the end. You can be unlucky but practice sees you getting better, it's just not as noticeable because you're not getting more HP or bomb and ropes. If Spelunky did that then it'd lose it's challenge as you'd have loads of stuff to just blow your way through the levels.

There was one thing last night where I had to die because i couldn't progress, I had the biggest character going and I had to jump through a gap that was having bones thrown through it. I had to take the hit, whether it was getting hit by the spikes, the bones getting chucked through or by the skeletons waiting on the drop on the other side. That's pretty poor design. I was watching Hendo last night and he hit a similar thing where he dropped into a level and instantly got cleared out by a ball flying across the level, even with prior warning he'd have had no chance of avoiding that hit. That's cunt level designing, that is.

It's made up of sections which are designed. If you look at Spelunky you'll notice that a level is usually an S shape with the parts building it designed to slot together like big LEGO pieces, you can always get through with jumping and fighting alone.

In Rogue Legacy if you enter a room for the left the floating balls that are in the game will start from the right so you can have time to navigate them. That's a design that goes into the procedurally generated framework. If it was totally randomised you could end up running into rooms where you have stuff spawning in a position where you can't react to it quick enough, there has to be limits set by the designer into what can actually be generated. Again going back to Hendo last night, there'd be times he stepped in a room and then instantly stepped back out because if he didn't he'd have been instantly hit or overwhelmed

I guess a better way of explaining it is that the rooms and enemy placement are designed with the enemies having a bit of wiggle room on how they're generated, but the way the rooms are delivered is random.

For me game only becomes fun once you've unlocked the glide move, double jump and can kill most enemies in the castle with one hit. It's not much of a slog to get to that point but it does start out pretty rough.

The clue is in the name though - it's designed that you will play many, many versions of yourself before you will conquer it.

Also, the best tactic is to avoid making any real level progress for a while and instead focus on getting gold to unlock stuff in the skill tree.

I'm gonna stream it again for a while, might make my way to the third boss. I have noticed that I'm progressing much quicker this time around now that I know how the game works and which stuff is most useful to me.

Even if a class unlock in the skill tree doesn't sound like something you'd be interested in, it's worth buying it as they usually unlock other more useful stuff to buy, like the cheating death one, not losing as much money going in, etc.

I have to agree with our resident pot noodle expert, and much prefer Rogue Legacy to Spelunky.

Spelunky to me feels like the difficulty level is "fuck you",

"oh! you didn't know that you can't do that and it killed you instantly, ah, that's too bad,.. enjoy playing for another hour to get to here again"

where as for rogue legacy it's set to, "a little more tough than you'd like it to be", I always found myself just at the edge of being comfortable with the difficulty.

Pump your gold into increasing damage and upgrading armour

use the runes to get yourself a dash and a double jump and you're set.

Magic is a fool's game

Rogue legacy has made me chuckle on a good few occasions too. Letting out a little squeaker when you jump. :)

I played Apotheon, and it's not for me.

The physics felt like one of those flash games similar to qwop like my arms and legs are connected by springs and my legs don't really touch the ground properly when I'm walking.

Also, you can't increase the dead zone on the thumbsticks, so my guy ends up walking left all the time.

For me, it just didn't feel like fun to play, and I'm not really feeling compelled by the story either.

I also started up transistor.

Enjoying this a bit more, the attack system is a little complex, and I'm slowly trying to wrap my head around how to attack, and how to combine attacks. Sometimes in fights I've taken an absolute pasting, and some I've rolled right on through, so I'm clearly missing something. top soundtrack and looks pretty to boot.

Got both of those to try later today.

RL you get better at the more you level up. Completing it twice was very satisfying. No idea how the hell you beat the optional uber-bosses though.

Spelunky I never got better at. Dead, dead, dead, bit further, dead, dead, dead. After a while the fun wore off, and I deleted it.