passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

GoG Galaxy

Uncle Dokuro

Do you hate the American government and corporations? Are you scared and wearing a tin hat because you think the NSA is spying on your gaming habits? Of course you do you're European and CD Projekt has something for you!! GoG Galaxy a new competitor to US-based Steam from Valve.

CD Projekt has announced a new component for its GoG game distribution service. The company says that GoG Galaxy, which is positioned as a Steam competitor, will be optional and offline-play capable.

Throughout the presentation, GoG Guillaume Rambourg mentioned Steam by name multiple times, and pointed out instances during which a single-player portion of a title is restricted by a requirement to be online. The Galaxy client will also automatically patch games. Essentially, it provides a wrapper for your GoG purchases.

During the presentation, GoG representatives also implied that their platform will feature "cross-play" while others do not. We're unclear which platforms were being discussed, as our experiences indicate that Steam copies can interact with standalone versions.

The first GoG Galaxy title will be a Witcher Adventure Game, which is a board game experience set in The Witcher Universe.

Seems cool, but I don't see myself buying new games from GOG. I'll check it out I guess. The Witcher board game should be fun.

I think they're late to the game with a desktop client, but competition is always a good thing. It keeps companies on their toes.

• 2 weeks later...

The more I think about this the more I think I might be inclined to use it - use it for buying and playing new games I mean. I really don't care about the social functions of Steam or steam achievements, what it boils down is the price of games. I love GOG and its sales are just as good as Steam anyway. I could see myself switching to Galaxy for everything, provided the games are distributed on it.

Having multiple gaming clients to keep track of can be a pain sometimes. But if this makes it easier to keep your games patched up to date, access manuals and extras and all that stuff, then it may prove useful.

I have a decent amount of games from GOG and downloading installers, keeping track of where they're installed and if there are updates for them, etc. feels a bit like an old fashioned way of doing it these days. The game shelf thing on the website isn't a great way of managing things, so hopefully the client improves on that.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You can add people now?

I tried using the friends bit a few weeks ago and it didn't load, looked in settings and it said 'friends and social - coming soon' or something like that so gave up in the end.

My username on there is Blakey101 though, you're welcome to try adding me :)

You can add people now?

I tried using the friends bit a few weeks ago and it didn't load, looked in settings and it said 'friends and social - coming soon' or something like that so gave up in the end.

My username on there is Blakey101 though, you're welcome to try adding me :)

Looks like adding friends by username seems to be the most popular community request, so I guess it will be added soon.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...

So I just downloaded the new version of this, it’s amazing. You can integrate your Steam, Epic, Uplay, Origin, PSN and Xbox Live accounts. It’s an all-in-one launcher. It has all of my recent Bloodborne achievement information. 

Edit: Having launched a game through Galaxy I can confirm that it tracks play time and achievements (at least in the case of EA Origin).