passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Wolfenstein: The New Order

AndyKurosaki

I bought this from cdkeys a few days ago (just before it got discounted to £7.49 on Steam, dammit).

I've never really played Wolfenstein games before because I wasn't much of an FPS fan in those days. I'm really enjoying this one though.

I only recently learned that these were ex Starbeeeze folks, which is why I finally bought it. I like what they do.  

• 2 weeks later...

Finished this last night. It's not bad but I do prefer Old Blood (and Doom) by quite a bit. It doesn't end especially well, I guess the boss fights are inventive, for the most part, but the back half of the game has a few of them and I'm not sure I enjoyed any of them. 

I'm a bit annoyed that I didn't do better with the perks. I did ok on the first two columns, but I didn't even get the first one on the explosions one 

• 3 years later...

So, having learnt from @DisturbedSwan that PlayStation now was a download service like gamepass (for some reason I thought it was streaming only. Sony need to project their message a bit more forcefully) I've rescued my PS4, grabbed a subscription and started with this.

It's great. I'm pretty much a novice on shooters, but I've had such great times lately with Gears, Titanfall 2, even Outer worlds, that I thought I'd give a full blooded FPS a try. Done some incredible missions already, with one excellent stealth mission to break in (and out) of a prison.

Now I'm in nazi London and there's some helicopter tech to nick, I think. I had the idea that these games were just straight shooters like COD, but there's more than whiff of Roleplaying here, isn't there. I like it.

How do you upgrade? I've seen a perk type page that seems to depend on pulling off specific actions during missions. Do u mean that? I've neglected that somewhat as it feels bit artificial for the roleplaying purist?

Having said that it doesn't seem that hard up to now, as long as you keep your  head down and kill every Nazi in the room!

That helicopter mission was another great one. Even got to cut an enormous robot down to size with a laser gun.

I'm also enjoying the downtime the game gives you in the resistance stronghold. Just wondering around, reading the lore, practicing your knife throwing or doing a menial favour for a colleague gives the whole experience a bit of space. 

Think I'm closing in on the end game here, as I think I'm back where the whole thing started, and everyone in the game is suggesting it's time for the final showdown. It's been an incredible ride and I think it's been well put together for an FPS/stealther - although the stealth is a bit broken, but only in enemies failing to investigate fallen comrades. And that happens in most multi genre games (with TLoU2 bringing things up to scratch, finally!)

Yeah, enjoyed it. Should finish over the next day or two.

That was The New Blood, I believe, which was pretty good.

Young Blood takes place several years after the events of New Order, and it’s one of the most disappointing games I’ve ever played in my life. 
It switches from single player to co-op focused. Though you can technically play it solo, your AI partner is such a complete fuckwit that it quickly becomes nigh on impossible. There are two ammo types that you confusingly have to switch between, as some enemies only take significant damage by being shot by a specific type of bullet. 
The lead characters are massively unlikeable, and do not shut the fuck up. Ever.

Areas are filled with respawning enemies, some of which do so within seconds of you leaving an area.

And worst of all, you have a very limited number of lives to complete a stage. Lose all your lives (which you definitely will in a boss fight if you are playing solo), and you have to do the entire level all over again.

It’s like a totally different team made it. And i absolutely hated it, as did a lot of the reviews. 

Truly excellent game, I thought. Level after level of great gameplay, stealth and shooting.

But, holy shit, that final boss. That monstrosity nearly brought the whole house of cards down to the floor. What the fuck. For a start I had to Google what I was even supposed to do on the first stage, cos I never even saw those blimps he was powering up from. And on the second stage I went thru every scrap of ammo to no avail. Back to Google, where I discovered the bastard is invincible during his stun animation - when, naturally, I was unloading all my heaviest ordinance against him. I'm calling bullshit on that one.

Still, apart from that pretty great. For me not quite up to the level of that remake of gears of war I played recently, but close. (The final boss in that was a piece of piss, btw)

Finally!!! I couldn't rest having not beaten deaths head, so I went back in.

Fucking hell. Has to be the hardest final boss I've ever fought, and I've beaten Spyro the dragon. Without a hint of shame I fully admit to getting under the stairs, legging it up and down and cheesing the bastard from cover. All's fair in love and war.

End cut scene was a bit of a shocker tho...